Tremec VSS wiring?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Lip Ripper

Re: Tremec VSS wiring?

Post by Lip Ripper »

Thank you Vicegrip. Mike, is yours a 2 wire?
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Lip Ripper wrote:Mike, is yours a 2 wire?
Looks like it.

I thought it had a pigtail but I guess just a plug.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

OK, I'm confused. :? I thought when the T-5 went to a VSS output they did away with the gear on the transmission output shaft that would drive a mechanical cable, and replaced it with a grooved rotor on the shaft and a pick-up sensor that attached to the case where the cable formerly did. Not so? Did they just go with a gear driven unit that screws into the cable connector on the case, meshes with the drive gear on the output shaft and converts the signal to electrical pulses? :?
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Jims65cyclone wrote:OK, I'm confused. I thought when the T-5 went to a VSS output they did away with the gear on the transmission output shaft that would drive a mechanical cable,
Maybe later but at first it was a gear driven apparatus, this one has a gear on it and one on the output shaft to drive it. I think mine is a '96, not sure but maybe by '98 they had gone to what you are talking about, I don't really know for sure, but I wanted a T-5 I could hook a regular old cable up too because I don't want any of this electronic voodoo :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:OK, I'm confused. :? I thought when the T-5 went to a VSS output they did away with the gear on the transmission output shaft that would drive a mechanical cable, and replaced it with a grooved rotor on the shaft and a pick-up sensor that attached to the case where the cable formerly did. Not so? Did they just go with a gear driven unit that screws into the cable connector on the case, meshes with the drive gear on the output shaft and converts the signal to electrical pulses? :?
Jim
I have a 95 mustang with a T5 and it has a gear on the out put shaft. The pickup sensor has a gear on it and goes in a hole to match up with the gear on the shaft just like the cable setup. You can change gears on the sensor to match up with the rear end gearing so that the speedo works right. My sensor looks just like mikes.
Hope this helps
tom
tomb's 65

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Now we're getting somewhere. Mike mine is like yours but the white nylon is gone and I can see where the square cable goes up inside. It's sounding like the cable does need to be in to produce a signal. Is this correct Tom? In that case I'd need your sensor and the end of the cable to drive the gear. At least that is/was what I was thinking.

Stacey
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Lip Ripper wrote:In that case I'd need your sensor and the end of the cable to drive the gear. At least that is/was what I was thinking.
Again I don't know much about this and have never messed with one, Tom would know better, but I think you need the sensor (with the correct gear for your rear gearing combination) and a single wire runs from your speedo to the VSS with the second wire going to ground.

That is my understanding of it but I may be way off.
Lip Ripper wrote:Mike mine is like yours but the white nylon is gone and I can see where the square cable goes up inside.
I think the white nylon part is a plug and nothing goes there but I could be wrong I did not pull the transmission and bought it just like you see it, I may have the wiring for it I am not sure what all was in that pile of stuff when I bought it, of course I would have to find it if I did :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Lip Ripper wrote:Now we're getting somewhere. Mike mine is like yours but the white nylon is gone and I can see where the square cable goes up inside. It's sounding like the cable does need to be in to produce a signal. Is this correct Tom? In that case I'd need your sensor and the end of the cable to drive the gear. At least that is/was what I was thinking.

Stacey
Yours probably was a cable speedo at one time.I managed to work the nylon plug out of mine (just to see what was in there) Nothing but the plug. If yours turns out to be bad,Mike's should work if it is good.

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Lip Ripper wrote:Now we're getting somewhere. Mike mine is like yours but the white nylon is gone and I can see where the square cable goes up inside. It's sounding like the cable does need to be in to produce a signal. Is this correct Tom? In that case I'd need your sensor and the end of the cable to drive the gear. At least that is/was what I was thinking.

Stacey
I looked up an Auto Meter speedo and the instructions. For a 2 wire speed sensor you just take the + wire from the sensor to the speedo and ground the second wire of the sensor. Never apply 12 volts to the sensor. Make sure you have the wire going to the speedo on the right terminal and you also need to have 12 volts going to speedo and a good ground.
I see that Auto Meters ford sensor also allows the mechanical cable to be attached if you need it for cruise control. So maybe your sensor was set up for cruise control also. Your sensor does not need a mechanical cable to make the electrical pulse.
I would double check your wire connections and make sure you have good grounds. If it still doesn't work, get a different sensor.
Hope this helps
tom
tomb's 65

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

tomb22 wrote:

Stacey
I looked up an Auto Meter speedo and the instructions. For a 2 wire speed sensor you just take the + wire from the sensor to the speedo and ground the second wire of the sensor. Never apply 12 volts to the sensor. Make sure you have the wire going to the speedo on the right terminal and you also need to have 12 volts going to speedo and a good ground.
I see that Auto Meters ford sensor also allows the mechanical cable to be attached if you need it for cruise control. So maybe your sensor was set up for cruise control also. Your sensor does not need a mechanical cable to make the electrical pulse.
I would double check your wire connections and make sure you have good grounds. If it still doesn't work, get a different sensor.
Hope this helps
tom
Just take the + wire from sensor....therein lies the problem. Determining which wire is the +. Auto Meter couldn't tell me so I rolled the dice and it worked but read later that either one will work.

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I read that it is AC current so it doesn't matter how you wire it.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Tracy...what ever came of this? Did you get it resolved, and if so, what was the solution?

Jim

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I got the new sender from Mike. and it tested good. I put it in and got nothing. I am not getting the signal to the speedo so I must have an opening in that signal wire. I need to remove the drivers seat, and carpet to get to that wire. I may have accidently pinched it when installing the interior. I was concentrating on getting the Z finished before tearing into it. It has sold so this is next on my list. It's still hotter than hell down here. I've been using the speedo on the gps unit in the mean time.