Think I will experiment with molasses

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

Re: Think I will experiment with molasses

Post by lavron »

Here is a picture with the before and now, I will set the next picture up so they match the before picture better :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Groover

Post by Groover »

Keep us posted. Good science here.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Final Molasses dip for the brake brackets because I had a little time this morning and thought I would just pull them out and wire brush them and rinse them off, I also pulled the Ebrake levers and had to pop them apart (I actually sprayed them with PB Blaster first), so they were still stuck pretty good with rust after 3 weeks, however the rust almost all brushed off after that except a little, and I wanted to try another experiment with them.

Here are the parts that originally went in and after they came out today, the brackets have already flash rusted, after I took the picture I sprayed some WD40 on them because I have some POR15 coming this week and want to paint them, so I will run through my process on that in another post when I do it.

I also pulled out the brake backing plates and degreased them (with this process I think degreasing first is a good idea) and dropped them back in the molasses for a little longer, I will check them Friday or so, I took a picture of them but it was really fuzzy so I deleted it, I will show them too you when I pull them out. I also pulled the brake rotors out of the barrel, I am not using these but wanted to see if someone could clean up something like them for a part you couldn't get a replacement, they actually came out pretty clean, they would have to be turned if someone wanted to use them but I bought a new pair because they are so cheap I bet it would cost as much to have these turned :roll: You can see these flash rusted as well.

One last thing I did is de-grease my flywheel and block plate, I will take my flywheel to be resurfaced and the ring gear flipped over sometime. The plate has a little light rust so I dropped it in the barrel of molasses with the brake backing plates and will check it when I pull those.

I dropped this old carb in the molasses bucket, as you can see it is pretty much junk, would like to see if it will free it up, again not using it, just experimenting :roll:

My last experiment of the day was to bring the E-brake levers in and drop them in vinegar, you can see the rust left on them. And, again, yes there is one extra lever :D

I will let you know how the vinegar experiment works.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Vinegar E-Brake Brackets update. I soaked the brackets in white vinegar a few hours and brushed them with a brass brush (just because the stainless brush was out in the shed and I didn't want to go get it), they came pretty clean except two had some stubborn spots that I finally just scrapped off with a blade and called it good. They did come out shiny"ish" but then I soaked them in some POR15 Metal Ready for 1/2 hour so now they have a phosphate coating on them. (I know they look rusty again but they aren't :P )

I think tomorrow I will give them a light coating of Cold Galvanizing Spray and call them done, I know the paint won't stay on probably and they would look best with master cylinder paint that Eastwood or somebody sells, but most likely no one will ever see these.

If they look good when I am done I will post a picture but that will be last time anyone will ever see them :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WENT to the PANCAKE HOUSE the other morning for some blueberrie flap jacks and thought about this thread :shock: :lol: :wink:
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

It is my Molasses Friday update :roll: I thought it might be good so Pops can get hungry for some flapjacks over the weekend :lol:

The brake backing plates the I didn't show last time have been in the bath for two weeks now, they could be considered done but I dropped them in for another week because they still have some rust and I don't need them in any way yet.

Last week I put my bell housing engine shield in as well, if you remember, because it had a little rust on it, as far as I am concerned it is done now, might not look like a new one but I am satisfied.

I sprayed WD40 on it and hung it up till I need it. Not sure the best protection for this stuff the stays bare metal, maybe the light coat of oil is good enough except I know dirt will want to stick too it.

BTW, Pops, the smell of this might turn you off flapjacks for a bit, certainly has an organic smell and not the nice kind :? Of course I have that old rankie deer head hanging on the side of shed there as well, wish I could come up with a good way to hurry the hide off it (it was given too me to replace one hanging on the front porch I found in the woods with the antlers mostly gnawed off).

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

My buddies boil their deer skulls with a fish cooker, they wrap the antlers in tin foil to protect them . it takes a long time on a fresh kill, like 8-12 hours & constant attention to keep the water level up. they make their on plaques to mount them too.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:it takes a long time on a fresh kill
This one can't remember what fresh means, I think it was from last season so a year old come November, he had it hanging inside in one of his sheds from the rafters.

I had read boiling them can make them soft but it might get it anyway, mother nature is taking a long time, but then again I am in no hurry, but it looks a bit gruesome hanging on the corner of the shed (plus it might be a little stinky, or that is all fermenting molasses), maybe I should move it too the back :lol:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: this thread stinks...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:this thread stinks......
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

boy o boy is it ever so easy to side track a thread.........and ol windy POP is good at it..hee hee hee :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and I love it :!: :!: :wink: 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:boy o boy is it ever so easy to side track a thread
Doesn't bother me any, it is just the Molasses thread after all.

So far I am actually pretty impressed with the stinky stuff, I spent $9 on molasses and have de-rusted several things and keep throwing stuff in the barrel, as long as I keep the lids on they aren't too unpleasant, if I hadn't spilled that first batch I would have them someplace else but I am afraid to move them now.

I have a couple of old rusty cast iron skillets in the shed I guess I should put them in sometime so I can be like Groover :roll:

My only complaint, besides the smell, is the how long it takes.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

So this is the result of the molasses test, I painted the brackets today with POR15.

Before and After

They look pretty good maybe a bit shiny, I have some Chassis Black I guess I will paint on them tomorrow, but I will probably reveal those when I get a little more done on the rear.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Groover

Post by Groover »

lavron wrote:
popscomet wrote:boy o boy is it ever so easy to side track a thread
I have a couple of old rusty cast iron skillets in the shed I guess I should put them in sometime so I can be like Groover :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
I'm gonna have to start using molasses to cook with in my skillets... that way I'll be doubly protected ;)
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

was that you Mike that expermited with electrolisis,i used to be a relic hunter with medal detectors and i would clean my rusty finds with this method.it will get every spec of rust off,but you have to be careful how many amps you use and for how long,or you will end up burning too much off and it will eat away at you parts if you forget to take them out when ready.i have it down to an art ive done it so many times
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute