Comet prices going up?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
albert

Comet prices going up?

Post by albert »

Check out he price on this 65 Convert, they are getting up there. Appears to be a nice car.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/car ... refer=news
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

lavron
Site Admin

Re: Comet prices going up?

Post by lavron »

Nice car but I think maybe a bit overpriced, I guess there is an asking price and a selling price.

Then again they aren't making anymore and they are getting rarer and rarer.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I've really started to notice values are going up. I think people are getting bored with Mustangs and want something different. The comets are better looking (in my opinion!) and more unique, and not as many have been saved over the years.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

IT AIN'T SOLD YET !! that's a pretty good chunk of change the man is asking.....if you could look him right in the eye ...CASH TALKS and BS WALKS,,you might drive it away much cheaper....WHO KNOWS???............pop
pop/glenda

duncanjl

Post by duncanjl »

That is a good looking car must have a lot of memories or sentimental.,value would have to think very hard on mine at that price but I doubt it

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Go find a decent 65 and make it that nice ( if you can find the pieces) for that money,,,,
If you can do it all yourself you might do it for 20g, this one sells for, ballpark 25g
For me this is a way better deal if I had the cash.
Ive talked to many guys who walk by the Mustangs and Chevelles to look at something different.
These are different, especially around here, RARELY have I had another Comet to look at when Ive had mine at a show in western North America, so dump that Camero and get a Comet qiuck before the prices get crazy!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

duncanjl

Post by duncanjl »

Sassy , You are exactly right it is cheaper to buy one like you want if you can find it than it is to build it yourself now if you are capable of doing the work on your on (JUST MY THOUGHT) ROLL COMETS J L

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

No way that'll bring that money. He'll be lucky to get half that for a black sheep Merc. I've been looking at a lot of car's for sale. There are a lot of seller's with expectation's that aren't justified by the market. There's a guy around here that has had his 62 on the market for over a year, advertises everywhere and has just now dropped it to $12,000. That is not even close to where it should really be. I am a career salesman. It's like I tell my customer's; "if we price it right it will sell". I have had countless home sales that I have gotten full price out of because they let me price it right.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

albert

Post by albert »

Lip Ripper wrote:No way that'll bring that money. He'll be lucky to get half that for a black sheep Merc. I've been looking at a lot of car's for sale. There are a lot of seller's with expectation's that aren't justified by the market. There's a guy around here that has had his 62 on the market for over a year, advertises everywhere and has just now dropped it to $12,000. That is not even close to where it should really be. I am a career salesman. It's like I tell my customer's; "if we price it right it will sell". I have had countless home sales that I have gotten full price out of because they let me price it right.

Stacey
Lou, remember what PT Barnum said "There's a sucker born every minute" and that's what these "unrealistic price people" count on. However I have noticed that certain groups of classics are going up dramatically, eg. Mustangs, Corvettes, British sports cars and others. Our Comets are a narrow market and appeal to selective people for ownership, everyone likes them however they usually go with the herd mentality when it comes to buying a classic car..
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

IF there is a Comet out there worth $31k short of a famous one this aint it. Let's get real, it's a column shift not even a 4 speed, it's a 2 V not even a 4V much les a true hipo car, the pictures show a poor paint job over chips. It's not a survivor or anything special not even a correct nut and bolt restoration, not even any pictures of the undercariage which is where you can really separates repaints from true restorations. I'm not sure this is a $10k car much less anywhere near the ask. I bet a personal inspection would reveal a lot of sins.
Careful your character's showing!

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

maybe the owner is like me ,my old car aint worth 10 grand,but i wouldnt sell it for 30.it just means to much to me to let it go at any reasonable price.mines not for sale but if someone like my wife or a man with a gun to my head made me list it.i would ask 3 prices for it.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

mopar 346 wrote:IF there is a Comet out there worth $31k
That is mine but I am not selling either :P :lol: :lol:
fryedaddy wrote:but if someone like my wife or a man with a gun to my head made me list it.i would ask 3 prices for it.
Frye may be on to something :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

I think most of us agree that we wouldn't sell our Comets for any realistic price but we aren't listing ours for sale either. This guy is just delussional.

Lip Ripper

Re: Comet prices going up? Results from Mecum

Post by Lip Ripper »

I'll tell you what is hot; those damned baby bird's. I can't believe some of the Falcon prices.

I did a Mecum search for the past year. 5 Comet's sold, period.

1962 $5000
1965 $13000 built 347
1960 Wagon $15,000 gorgeous.
1965 Convertible sold twice. Once for $20,000 then sold again in chitown for $24,000; mint
1965 Cali $21,000 another top shelf 289 4 speed resto.

So there you have it.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

The last 2 at $20k surprise me but if the right car done right I could see it. The probably with them getting 20s and 30s is that that money puts in you position for some pretty nice mainstream cars which the masses prefer, it can even get you into a few elite type cars. In accorder for cars to see these kinda numbers you have to have several people wanting them and if only 1 guy wants a car at an auction or at your house and you want to sale then they can pretty much set the price, if 10 people (with money) want your car then you can set the price.