Semi-Hypothetical Question

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

Semi-Hypothetical Question

Post by lavron »

As slow and as cheap as I am this will probably never happen because it is somewhere in the future after the Comet is back on the road (done?), I have in my possession 2 - 1 ton trucks that I inherited from my dad, both are complete but I did not try to even start either, I had them hauled over here and they are behind the shed. I would like to build a car hauling truck out of one so it would need to be pretty road worthy and have easily to obtain parts, I have a dump bed cylinder already (from dad as well because one truck was a dump truck) but it is on neither and is in the shed. Both trucks are in restorable condition.

If given the choice of these two what would you do?

#1 is a '49 Ford (the original dump truck) it has a bobbed frame behind the rear tires, body is in good shape and just might need new glass and a seat recover, it has a big flathead V8 (80 horse I think, the dual water pump engine) the motor will run I believe, it has the 3 speed trans with a granny gear 1st and 18" split rim wheels, this truck is a chunk.

#2 is a '69 Ford flatbed, it has an original Ford bed on it, 300 six and 4 speed, the truck is pretty good shape but a tree fell on the front of it while I was at dad's and bent the hood busted the windshield, the rest is fine, it has 16" rims and believe non-split, the truck really has a solid cab.

If I was to build either of these for retrieving old cars (no long distance stuff) or hauling tractors and junk or even gravel which would you choose, the alternate truck would be just "restored" and not really driven for work, I would kinda like an automatic and maybe air but that is it, I am sure I can get the automatic for the '69, and would guess there are all kinds of adapters for the flathead, that I would like keep in the truck (I would change the engine in the '69 that is no issue, diesel would not be out of the question) like I said I don't want to do anything that is really unique and special with the running gear so parts would be easy to get incase of a breakdown.

See Ya,
Mike

For a bed I was thinking about a ducktail tilt that maybe I could fold the ducktail up, or remove it, not a rollback. Not sure how you run a power take off on an automatic but I am sure it is commonplace
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

mopar 346

Re: Semi-Hypothetical Question

Post by mopar 346 »

The 69 without question for me, it's the era I like but more importantly the 69 is a much more "modern' truck. As such effeceint brakes are obtainable, easily adapted for for A/C and overdrives if one desires and I would guess much better availability of parts. I might also consider a more modern drivetrain but there are planty of 69 era engines up to the task that will mate to a modern (ish) overdrive trans.

The only other thing to take in account is the length of the frame and the wheel base. You can make a tilt bed but you can also do a wedge or a drive on much easier and still be effective. If my dually had had about 12-18 inches more wheel base it would have had a modern aluminum 21' roll back, I have accesss to the bed but the rear tires would have only been about a third of the way up the car so I didn't like the weight distribution.
Careful your character's showing!

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Mike;with your limited funds [not a bad thing] ,I would say the 69 is a better choice. All flatheads had two water pumps,so that does not mean anything,they have a problem running hot as the exhaust runs through the block! There are a lot of aftermarket parts for a flathead,but they can be/are expensive!!I would work on HONEST costs to build each one,then go from there!! JMO , ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

windshields for the 69 are available but if you want to save money by getting one from the junk yard from 67 to 79 will fit & you can just cut the rubber on the inside,,maybe a little on the outside if it doesn't loosen up. Usually no dum dum putty in there.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

mopar 346 wrote:You can make a tilt bed but you can also do a wedge or a drive on much easier and still be effective.
I thought about this as well but would like to be able to have a multi-purpose truck if I decided to haul something like a truckload of gravel or a cow (not likely) If I could engineer some sort of roll back I might consider it.
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:All flatheads had two water pumps
See I did not realize that, not that I know much about them, but I am sure that it is in the dump truck it is the big flathead. You can learn something every day on the Comet Forum if you take your time to read the posts :D

You guys pretty much seem to agree on the best candidate, but lets wait too see if there are any comments from the other side and why.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

If the 49 has features you prefer or would be the easiest to get on the road then go with that. You can always swap in a different engine and trans if need be. Otherwise I would go with the 69 as it's just more modern and possibly better overall condition.
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

THE 69 would be POP's pick,the cabs on those trucks were always so tight in most cases.AND it's already 12volt !! ....POP
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Get the 49 running and sell it!
Lots a people want those to ratrod.
Use the money to build the 69 as it can almost keep up to todays traffic.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:Get the 49 running and sell it!
I could probably sell the '49 as it sits pretty easy but ultimately probably won't happen for sentimental reasons.

Truth be told both trucks are sentimental to me that is why I drug them over here, My dad bought the '49 when I was probably in Jr. High and he really liked it, that is why he kept it for 40 years. The '69, on the other hand, is just like one he bought new in '69 almost exactly except the color (the original was a 300 6, 4 spd as well but he had pulled it and put a 302 in it), he drove that truck (almost a daily driver) up until one day he sold it, He regretted the day he did that, I believe the '49 came shortly after that. He bought this truck at the city auction and painted it red with a white top. needless to say I remember the original truck and it reminds me of dad in so many ways and lots of other things through the years.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

KEEP EM BOTH !! DON'T SELL NUTTIN !!
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

popscomet wrote:KEEP EM BOTH !! DON'T SELL NUTTIN !!
I agree! 69 for work,49 for play.
Johno