The Budget Build Concept

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

The Budget Build Concept

Post by lavron »

I often talk of building my Comet on a low budget, and I will probably repeat myself here, so just ignore it if I said it before :roll: , I am going to use something as an example that is not a Comet, or even a car for that matter, so don't yell too loudly, I am just trying to help people understand the concept.

I was out mowing my lawn today and was thinking about my build plans when I started to think about how I work basically the same process in most things I do and I want to use my house as an example, it took me awhile to build my house, I had to go through several plan revisions but once I came up with what wanted to do I did not deviate very much from those plans.

The reason that I got pretty settled on my plans is I started hunting down materials to build my house, I bargain shopped and picked up used (recycled) when I could, bought clearance items etc. I knew what size every door was going to be in my house so if I found some nice old doors that were cheap I knew if I could use them, I knew what size my kitchen was and could pick up appliances, cabinets and sinks etc that would eventually fit. I shopped a lot, I over shopped, I bought off the internet, I bought local and I bought from big box stores, I had a storage unit full of building supplies before I even started the house.

My goal on my house was to build something nice but not spend a ton of money. Understand I could have built my house cheaper but I was building what I wanted (and my wife wanted), I have the skills and tools to do a lot of the work myself, I am not a professional builder, I am not an engineer, but I have been around building a lot (and I had built our house prior too this one) if I wasn't sure if something would be strong enough I overbuilt it, I hired the things done I did not want to do or would have taken me forever by myself, I gave up weekends and vacations to work on the house, but by the time I got it done (mostly) I have a much nicer house than I could have bought or hired someone to design and build.

For anyone that doesn't know what my house looks like, here is a picture I just took today after I got said grass mowed :roll:

I think the concept is valid on building a car on a low budget, I will scrounge for parts, I will spend the time restoring parts myself, and I will hire the things done I don't want too or can't do myself, I have already settled on a plan and will stick pretty close too that plan except when a bargain comes up I can't pass up. Certainly I could build my car cheaper than it will end up costing me (think stuff like a small block V8 instead of the I6) but I will have the Comet I want in the end without spending a lot of money. :D

I hope that made sense to folks at what my vision is and why I ask the question I ask and you say I haven't seen you do anything to your Comet just talk, well that is entirely not true, but I do talk a lot :roll: and my Comet might not be the prettiest one around right now, but a few years ago where my house is sitting was just some scrubby brush and dead trees.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Lou's Comet

Re: The Budget Build Concept

Post by Lou's Comet »

House is Beautiful !! If you did that with used parts and low budget your Comet should be a walk in the park !

Your plan is a solid one. Do what you can on the cheap and pay for what you can't or don't want to do. Been following your car and even though still seems like it is more in the planning stage IMO that is just as important as the building stage. My plans changed a few times before I actually started my car, and a few changed after I started :)

I am going about mine much the same way. I could have bought the replacement floor and toe board pieces for about $600 and frame connectors for anther 100 or so and welded them in. Instead made my floors and frame connectors with less than $100 steel and used a thicker gauge than the repop pans. Took the savings and put it toward the narrowed Moser rear.

Selling off the parts from my car that I wasn't going to use gave me money to buy stuff I needed/wanted. There was a point in time (very short period) where after I sold off the parts I didn't need that I really had no money invested in my car. Got more for the parts than I had in car. But that has changed lol

Your going to have a nice car !!

Lou

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Lou's Comet wrote:House is Beautiful !! If you did that with used parts and low budget your Comet should be a walk in the park !
Thanks, yes I visited the Habitat for Humanity Restore a lot.

A guy has to be willing to get his hands dirty and take some time prepping if you want to go cheap.
Lou's Comet wrote:Been following your car and even though still seems like it is more in the planning stage
The planning is pretty much set (relatively) and I have been in acquisition stage lately and doing little things to refurbish parts as I go along. I am sure I will change some stuff as I gain more knowledge (mostly from the Forum members)

You car build, like others here has really been an inspiration and a motivator for me.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

An idea that seems to work really well (for me at least), if you have space, is to buy junker vehicles with parts you can use, and sell any other good parts that you don't need to recoup the purchase costs.

For example, I bought a 97 Explorer 5.0L with 300 000 km (188 000 miles) for $1000. It was running and driving, had new tires and brakes, but was rusty and needed a tune up. It also had some electrical and suspension issues. I took the short block, rear axle and seats out of it. Sold off the tires, heads, fuel injection intakes (good upgrade for mustang guys), oil cooler, and various other odds and ends. I made enough selling parts to cover the purchase price and a little extra. So essentially I got a shortblock, rear axle and seats for free. Once I ran out of parts to sell and got sick of looking for it, I called a local scrapper and they hauled it away for free.

I read a lot of articles on narrowing the 8.8, and I did it myself, saving a bunch of money. Went to the pull-a-part, got a short side axle for $35 and a correct length aluminum driveshaft for $25. The biggest expenses on the 8.8 were the gear oil and the limited slip rebuild kit. I also sold the 8" axle for $250, so I think the 8.8" ended costing me less than $100. I got stronger axles, disc brakes, limited slip and 3.73 gears out of the deal too.

The explorer bucket seats are power, leather/vinyl, and they flip forward for easy backseat access. I used some red vinyl dye to make them suit the interior. Made some small modifications to the mounting bracket and they bolted right in. They also show very little wear for how many miles were on the vehicle, so I'm sure they'll last a long time yet.

The engine was in good shape for how many miles were on it as well. It didn't burn oil and it had no ring ridge and good cross hatching. I swapped the cam to an mustang HO that I had and bolted on my D0OE 351W heads. It runs really well.

So there are ways to get the stuff you need cheap. Planning, researching, doing things yourself, and thinking outside the box can really bring down the cost of a lot of things.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

One of the biggest mistakes I see people do building cars is not seeing the final vision and/or changing the direction halfway through a build and having spent money go to waste. Knowing your plan and working it is one of the keys to a cost effective build. Nothing wrong with used parts as long as there is nothing wrong with the used part. :mrgreen: NOS is one of the biggest waste on many items, trim is probably the exception, as soon as you put paint on an NOS piece it is a used part. Good luck with the build, the house is gorgeous, I'm sure the car will be fine. How bout pictures of the shop????
Careful your character's showing!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

redhotcomet wrote:if you have space, is to buy junker vehicles with parts you can use
If there wasn't my wife to consider I would do that, I have plenty of space.
mopar 346 wrote: not seeing the final vision and/or changing the direction halfway through a build and having spent money go to waste
I am guilty of this a little, not changing direction so much as having bought some parts 15 years ago that I am not using now, I will ultimately either sell those parts or keep them and do another project, the only other reason to sell them is to deduct the cost from my current build like RedHot did, same with some of the stuff that will come off the car, the thing of it is I will have enough pretty good running gear when I finish my car all I would need to do is find a good Comet/Falcon/Mustang or even Maverick body to build a second car really cheap, not thinking about that right now however (I am thinking of that 60/61 Comet 2 dr sedan languishing away in a field right now :roll: ). My energy and resources right now are being concentrated on my '64.
redhotcomet wrote:a correct length aluminum driveshaft for $25
Do you remember what you got that out of? I need to start looking for a driveshaft as well.
redhotcomet wrote:I got stronger axles, disc brakes, limited slip and 3.73 gears out of the deal too.
And parts are cheap and plentiful, I need to order emergency brake hardware for mine and it is around $10 for everything. Plus I need new rotors and pads but not too expensive, I couldn't even hardly look at upgrading my 8" without the money falling out of my pocket, and I know the 8.8 is overkill for my car and weighs a ton but it was too hard too pass up for what you get.
redhotcomet wrote:I read a lot of articles on narrowing the 8.8, and I did it myself
So I will be expecting lots of help if I get in trouble when I do mine :P
mopar 346 wrote:How bout pictures of the shop????
Well it doesn't look like much, 30x40 quonset type building with a concrete floor and I never got the front installed before I had to shift all my energy too the house, then my dad passed away, we sold our other house and the shed/shop got stuffed with all the things from two houses, I have been working at organizing it (plus I got electric and water run up there recently) and now want to add on to the front for more room, I have been working in there but have to pull the truck out and then put my stuff away each day, the Comet hasn't made it inside yet so I I have been working on components for the time being. I still have few little projects left on the house and garden (and a garden shed to build, which will move some stuff out of the shop) then I might try and expand and enclose my shop before I start on, or am free too devote more time to my Comet. I am hoping for a good fall so I can get a lot done outside when it is not blazing hot.
mopar 346 wrote:NOS is one of the biggest waste on many items
If you can even get any for a Comet, so used is about all you can choose from.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

But here is the shop, you just have to imagine it in it's finished state, and yes I put together the building myself, the insurance company paid for it after a tornado blew my last shed away.

My plans right now are to add one of those metal carport/sheds to the front (fully inclosed) so I can park our daily drivers there, later I want to add a lean-to on back (fully enclosed as well, but probably just a gravel floor) to keep my tractors, etc. in.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

Definitely liveable should have plenty of Comet room once you get the unnecessaries out of there.

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Real estate is my profession. We here in Highlands county are still looking at the cost of new construction prohibitive versus buying existing construction. I think that is the norm with building most classic car's.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

lavron wrote:Do you remember what you got that out of? I need to start looking for a driveshaft as well.
95-2010 Crown Vic Police Interceptor. Has to be a PI, regular Crown Vics were steel and an inch longer, which are too long. You'll also need two 1310/1330 combination u-joints and the slip yoke off your T5. 1999-2000 got a Metal Matrix Composite (MMC) driveshaft instead of aluminum. They were also a service replacement for the aluminum. Lots of info on them if you do a google search.
lavron wrote:So I will be expecting lots of help if I get in trouble when I do mine :P
Sure! Ask away when the time comes.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

lavron wrote:
redhotcomet wrote:if you have space, is to buy junker vehicles with parts you can use
I bet you'd get that "look" that Rocket mentioned. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
lavron wrote:
I bet you'd get that "look" that Rocket mentioned. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Just to be clear, I didn't mean buying them and holding on to them forever! :D Just long enough to grab the parts you need and sell the ones you don't! I guess I must be pretty lucky, my fiance supports my car hobby, although, that might change once we have the same last name! LOL

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

Best trick: 20 acres and the shop is 100 yards from the house and NONE of my cars are visible from any window!

I am very fortunate, my wife will even go pick up parts cars with me and we've been known to pull the trailer with her 4 Runner. :D

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

My wife is really good about it but doesn't understand the concept of parts vehicles. She m more understanding once I get the other things around the house done she wants.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Cool when the women support the guys! My fiancé went to Carlisle with me 2014 I think. She walked around with me while I bought parts from like 9am to 6 pm in the rain, and it rained the whole day. Didn't even complain. And even pulled the wagon and help me take parts to the Tahoe. We made a few trips in and out of Carlisle that day the guy at the gate even commented on how she was a keeper lol The guy at Falcon parts said I should marry her when she carried a bunch of parts I bought from him .
Lou