fueling up

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
popscomet

Re: fueling up

Post by popscomet »

fryedaddy wrote:it went to pot right off when everybody wanted to dissagree instead of answering the question asked
the draw back to a post is,,,this machine cannot show the smile on the poster's face nor pick up the tone it was posted in....so we have to be very aware on what word 's are used,,does that make sense?? pop
pop/glenda

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

captian_napalm wrote:all i got is a lil 170 ci.
I would just run pump gas in it. If you want to run lead additive just to be safe maybe add it every other tank?

From what I have read over the years about lead additive some say ya need it others say you don't. Never used it in any of my older stuff. I run pump gas in all my stuff and never had a problem with the ethanol. Even my boat I run the 87octane with the 10% ethanol for over ten years. I buy the gas for my boat at a station on the way to the lake instead of on the lake,a lot cheaper. Runs great no issues. Had a GTO for years and ran unleaded pump gas with no additive never a problem. But if you are worried, use the lead additive. I wouldn't use it every tankful tho.

The reason you have to put nozzle in at weird angle is because of the weird filler neck our cars have,

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I never run additive in my old engines. I use to use 93 no eth, but that station closed down so I'm running 92 with eth, but have run 87 with eth & no trouble ever in my 10.5: 1 compression 347. never any trouble . no boiling, no clothes pins, no trouble at all.It ran great with an edelbrock & still does with a 4bble autolite. I have a slightly modified 302 with an edelbrock it runs great, & a 302 with a 2bbl autolite runs great on 87. reason I don't like ethanol is it wears out rubber fast.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WHO WAS IT THAT SHOWED UP AT PF,with e'nuff clothes pins on his fuel line to open up a CHINA WASH HOUSE ????.....pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

:lol: :lol: You crack me up!! :lol: That would be the same guy who showed up at a comet gathering in a mopar :roll: :lol: the mopar maniac! :lol: :lol:
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I couldn't recall who it was,,........ :? :lol: :wink: thanks POP
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Pop do you ever have trouble with your edelbrocks vapor locking or boiling gas? Only trouble I had with mine that I couldn't tune out was a flat spot when first flogged @ wot, with a manual shift ,auto trans wasn't so bad. I have heard it is because is doesn't have a pump for the secondaries. but normal cruising is fine & everything else , good for street & hwy cruising on any type of gas.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

NO JOHN....SO FAR,,,never had any of those problems,,OR...maybe I'm not smart e'nuff to know the difference !! :? BUT what I have experienced from a edelbrock is if my comet sits untouched for 3or4 days,,it has to crank and pump it's prime back up,but of I start it every day or 2,you can't get off the starter fast e'nuff,,,,and it will start that way after a trip to town or where ever....I'm sure you have noticed as well as others at PF ,I seldom ever get in it to start it,while the cars are in line for JOHN Q PUBLIC to come by and look at them,I always leave it in neutral and I just reach in the window and hit the key and it busts off and idels,and that is with 2 500 cfm edel"s and if you look at them ,,I do not have progressive linkage,,they are ganged together,,so it starts and runs off of both all the time..OL POP has been running this very same set up for way over 20plus years,,,,,when I was a young teen ,I started running more then 1 carb,,,even on my 50,51 flathead mercurys and fords.....my son in law has a 2x2 set up for my 51 ford V8 flathead,but with less then 75000 miles on it and the motor has never been touched,I just leave it alone,and by the way I've been putting 87 in it for 20yrs also,without any trouble and it has been driven out of state along while pulling a 50's era 2 whl luggage trailer,loaded with gear for a car show out of state...the only problem I had from it was when I installed a 8volt battery in it,but that is another story for another time :wink: about 15 yrs ago a friend of mine at work had a flatbed dually with a 400 plus cu in ( IFORGET) and he said after driving it and killing the motor if you wait 15 or so minutes then try to start it ,it was hard to start,,I gave him a stock spacer for under the carb cause he had the carb directly bolted to the intake,,and he said that completely cured it.....that's just about all I know on boiling gas and vapor lock.......back in the 60's I member seeing big buicks and oldsmobile with wooden clothes pins on the fuel line,but never a ford........unless it might have been a flathead every now and then.........pop
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I have a single Edelbrock 500 on mine, and the only problem I've had with it is the same as Pop. If it sits for a couple of weeks without cranking, it takes a lot of cranking to get it started. I've found if I give it a shot of ether, it will fire right off, and with a little peddle finesse, it levels out in just a few seconds and idles. If I crank it again anywhere from immediately to several days later, it will start right up with no help. I figure the bowl is either evaporating or leaking down over longer periods. I run 93 ethanol-free because I can't find the 87 ethanol-free around here. I try to stay away from the ethanol because I'm concerned about corrosion and/or rubber rot on the older components that weren't designed to run ethanol gas.
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Jims65cyclone wrote:I have a single Edelbrock 500 on mine, and the only problem I've had with it is the same as Pop. If it sits for a couple of weeks without cranking, it takes a lot of cranking to get it started. I've found if I give it a shot of ether, it will fire right off, and with a little peddle finesse, it levels out in just a few seconds and idles. If I crank it again anywhere from immediately to several days later, it will start right up with no help. I figure the bowl is either evaporating or leaking down over longer periods. I run 93 ethanol-free because I can't find the 87 ethanol-free around here. I try to stay away from the ethanol because I'm concerned about corrosion and/or rubber rot on the older components that weren't designed to run ethanol gas.
Jim
Another thing ,on mine I do not have a choke,,my carbs are manual choke and I wired them wide open...they have never had a choke cable hooked to them..I did not want to mess with a cable so I wired them open and have never had any concerns...but I get to thinking if I would hook up a choke cable to just one might help on the starting after a period of time......pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I may have to bug you for advice Pops (and everyone else)when I get around to my dual 2 barrel setup, I am going to hook them to operate together as well because they are already progressive two barrels (like half a 4 barrel) I can balance the one barrels ok but they are progressive (center one drives the car until a bit over half throttle and then the front and rear ones open)

I like the thought of the dual 2 barrels on the inline six because it will hopefully give me better fuel distribution, my intention is to space them closer to cylinder 2 and 5 because intake 1 & 2 are next too each other with an exhaust valve between 2 & 3, the back half is a mirror image, they are like this E-I-I-E-I-E-E-I-E-I-I-E (E=exhaust and I=intake valves) of course on the stock engine the carb sits right over the 2 center exhaust ports.

That is more than anyone probably wanted to know about Ford inline six valve arrangement :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

that's why both mine are ganged together,,,,was afraid of a lean burn ,,I know ford AND MOPAR had 2x4 from the dealer back in the50 AND 60's , they used progressive linkage....I didn't want that..so I ganged them....if for no other reason then for me to say..just like that ELVIS PRESLEY song ;;;;;I DID IT MY WAY !!! {THINK IT WAS EP....OR FRANK SANATRA :? :? POP
pop/glenda

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

Actually both did My Way.

I had enough clothes pins on my fuel line to get to Pigeon Forge this year to keep a Chinese laundry in business for a year. I had to to get it there without it boiling the fuel driving down the road, I was running 80 mph in the 100* weather and it wasn't liking it. It did act better when I ran 65 mph. I have almost decided I have a fuel pump issue but I haven't tested it to be sure, I'll probably just replace it before the next trip of any size to be sure or at least throw one in the trunk just in case. But remember it was the Merc that needed the clothes pins.

My Edelbrock actually cranked pretty well and performed good until it got down here in the heat. I would tell you that the biggest issue was that it was mounted directly to a cast iron intake, probably would not have had the issue on an aluminum manifold. Probably the main reason for replacing it rather than trying to work it out with a spacer was 2 fold, one I just don't like them and 2 750 wasn't enough for the car.

On multiples, I have actually learned to really appreciate progeressives. I have always been a double pumper guy on manuals or hot autos with stall convertors but the way my 6 packs are set up it's hard to argue. They have a full capacity of 1350 cfm which I would tell you would never be used on a stockish engine but they will pull as long as you want you want to twist them and never run out of fuel. The advantage I have found with the progressives is it doesn't dump all the fuel or power right out of the whole so you don't just blow the tires of of it or feather it to control the spin, worse with any amount of gear. They come out hard on the center carb with a little assistance from the outboards and then build with the RPMs and like I said pull hard all the way out the back door. Never really run 2 carbs so not sure if that would change the sensation or not. The other thing I kinda like is IF you stay out of them, the progressive will run on the center 2 V and actually get decent fuel mileage. 13.5 mpg with 3.91s and as much as 16 mpg if you are just up on the highway between fuel stops, no over drive but 28 inch tall definitely help kill the gear.

Some of mine have hard start after sitting a few weeks when I am out of town but the marine gas definitely helped the scenario, the worse one strangely enough is the mildest, the Comet. I have chokes on my Comet (original motorcraft on the 260), my dually (q-jet)and the 69 RT (t-quad), the rest are no chokes and no issue be I'm in Florida so.......
Careful your character's showing!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

KEVIN,POP knows all about progressive linkage,,I was running 3x2 on a thunder bird engine way before I was old enough to vote.so how old was you ?? I have a 3x2 complete set uo for a 289 that I use to run on a mustang yrs ago....and I still own it...ON the double pumper,there are guys at the drag strip that make thier's in-0p for that very reason,,,to keep from blowing the tires away.....and I should rest much better knowing how your MOPARS perform,,thanks,,,OL POP has been alittle concerned not knowing..as far as AUNT LOU ,,,I ain't even going there,you put all the wooden clothes pin on her that you can beg borrow buy or steal.....POP could care less....cause as smart and as good turning wrenches as you are,,,,,you'll get a handle on it...I have faith in ya~~!! be careful with that marine gas.....that stuff will blow up on you !! have a good one....can't wait til june to see ya........pop
pop/glenda

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

Pop, when you use the word progressive are you talking about vacuum secondaries?

Explain what you mean about marine gas blowing up please. It's just non-ethanol gas best I know or at least that is what I have always believed. Is there something I'm not aware of with it?
Careful your character's showing!