Suspension

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Lip Ripper

Suspension

Post by Lip Ripper »

As I've mentioned I bought a 61 Falcon. It has upgraded 5 lug front suspension and an 8.8 rear. Previous owner put the rear spring's in a press and de-arched them. It is low. Best I can tell on the front is he put Mustang coil's up front and chopped them to lower it 2.65 inches. Look's great but not responsive. I talked to several companies on the front coil issue and got more question's than answer's. I want a 2" drop up front and I suggested using 63 Falcon V8 spring spec's and go from there. They wanted me to measure what I have and go from there. I didn't like that idea so I called Mike at Eaton spring. Left him a message, he called back in about 5 minutes, knew exactly where I wanted to be and the spring's arrived 3 day's later (today). Is he more money? Yes. I feel his knowledge and expert service is worth it on these. St. Louis spring will do the rear's. I also bought the new scott drake spring perches and I like them a lot. You can rotate the shaft freely and it is greasable. $108 delivered. Next I've ordered a wedge kit to correct the upper ball joint angle; $119 with the Shelby/Arning drop template that I won't use this round because the early front tower's look too tight to make the drop. I'll do it all with the spring. More to follow.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

poboyjo65

Re: Suspension

Post by poboyjo65 »

sounds like you're on your way. :D all years of the towers are tight, you have to beat a dimple in them on the rear sides or cut a hole for room for grease fittings.the fronts wont need it. you don't need the wedge kit for for the 1 inch shelby drop, you only need it if you go the 1.5 '' or lower than the 1''. the early towers need a small piece welded in the inside (engine bay side), the new hole misses the factory reinforcement plate.

I have one rear grease fitting that I cant get the grease gun on so I got these smaller extended 90*'s, haven't installed them yet. If I were doing it again I'd cut a 1'' hole or bigger on the back grease fitting area.

Imageimage upload no ads
Johno

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Who's roller kit did you use for your idler?
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I got mine from delta bay mustang, that & the shelby quick steer kit. their online price list is wrong , you gotta call for prices.
Johno

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

Stacey,what engine-trans combo did you say you were going to use in the falcon.i used to have one years ago.im getting kind of interested in your build,good luck and im sure its going to be a quality ride when you get done with it.i feel like your the kind of guy who will do one up right!
Last edited by fryedaddy on Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Thank you sir. It has a 93 302 Mustang GT roller motor that he freshened up; with a 650 double squirter on top of an Edelbrock intake. Tremec 5 speed/Hurst shifter and an 8.8" 3.73 geared rear out of a Explorer. You may know this but they chop 3.5 inches off the left axle housing, weld it back and use 2 right side axles. What a great idea to have a modern rear that fit's these old little bodied car's. The guy I bought it from was a veteran Ford tech turned Snap-on dealer. He put a lot into this car in the 5 year's he owned it. He realized that between the business, 3 kid's and his investment properties that he would not finish the car. That is where I come in. I have all new spring's and other goodies coming. I will take the car apart and get it ready for my paint guy's then I will reassemble the car. Color will be HOK Tangerine Kandy with black interior. Still trying to figure out what to do for seat's but the door panel's have been ordered and are the Futura panel's which look really cool. I have the deluxe arm rest's to go with them. Oh, he put modern AC in it too and kept the serp belt system. I am chompin at the bit on this one. In 5 year's I've built 5 Dune buggies and have them in 3 states (only 47 more to build). I am ready to get back to my root's on this bad blue oval.

Stacey

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

im going to keep up with your progress,sounds like you are going to have a rocket ship too when you get done.cant wait to see and hear about it.keep us informed because its for sure way cool!!
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

you are going to love that 650dp.that was the first new holley i ever bought years ago.it got good mileage,but when you put your foot down,it turns into a monster!
fryedaddy

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

If you are not going with racing seats,& dont want to spend the money for original seats & recovering them these procar seats are available at most all of the major venders,summit,jegs ect... they also have one like this one but with headrest.
https://www.summitracing.com/search?Sor ... 80-1400-51
Johno

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I've used 3 set's of Procar 90's in different build's. The nice part about Scat is you can buy extra material to make a matching back seat which I have done twice. I do think the quality of the seat has gone down. This last set on the car I just finished does not have the same vinyl quality and the foam isn't as dense as the seat's I've used in the past. Still nice seat's though. I've been considering their Elite seat's for this one. I would then have the back done to match. Extra vinyl is $40 per lineal yard and the width is 54 inches.