the dreaded crusher

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
fryedaddy

the dreaded crusher

Post by fryedaddy »

i was just thinking of all the cars and parts we have lost to the crusher over the years.my dad and uncle hauled junk cars to the crusher after work and on weekends for decades.i guess they helped run up the price and availability of parts up.here is a few of my cars they hauled off because at the time i had no place to store them. 67gt cyclone 351cl-crushed,66 289 4 speed caliente-crushed,67 cougar 289 3 speed manual-crushed,64 falcon 170 auto-crushed,63 1/2 galaxie 390auto-crushed,and thats just some of my stuff.i dont have the heart to tell some of the cars they crushed when medal was up.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

popscomet

Re: the dreaded crusher

Post by popscomet »

AS bad as all the sounds today,,the same thing happened to model A's and the 40's and 50's,,that's just the way things go down..it's life !POP has sent many to the crusher,I hate it today but back then they were scrap ,they were in my way.....that why what we have today is so cherished...they survived the crusher for what ever reason..... :shock: :wink: POP
pop/glenda

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Like my Father would say,"You can not keep all of them"!! It can be sad,but it is the way of the world!! ROY
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

If you had a crystal ball and could look into the future you could be a rich man.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

The Transplanter

Post by The Transplanter »

I parted out and scraps cars over here in the UK that are now fetching as much as $50'000 but they were two a dime back then with little or no value.

I often talk to friends saying "if only we kept"........................

Like Mike says, you would have to have had a crystal ball

We have to thank all the hoarders out there that saved all these vehicles 8)

albert

Post by albert »

The car crushing will accelerate after we get our Comets to take us to heaven. The next generation won't eventually even own a car, The world of driverless cars and robots will part of every day life in 20 years............that's what all the futurists say!
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

YOU MIGHT BE ON TO SOMETHING ALBERT,, but if OL POP'S BLOOD LINE IS STILL flowing thru someone,,,there will always be at least one 4spd 289 out there....with TT D"S on it ...POP has a hell of a following with his OFF-SPRINGS..... 8) :shock: :) :wink:
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I can see what Albert is saying as well, I see the commercials where the cars parallel park for you and think someday people won't know how, kinda like stick shift and especially 3 on the tree.

One of the main reasons my Comet will have automatic nothing, I want back that experience of actually driving and even cranking my windows down by hand, the only "convenience" I want is A/C, even though I would consider not having it but I have been saving most of my nickels so I think I can budget it in.

And I was telling my sister when she was here that because I have no kids that passion I got from my dad to tinker with cars, dies with me, my brother is not too interested in it and I don't see any of my nephews having that passion, half of them are into BMW/Lexus/Nissan luxoboats :roll: those are great cars too them (I can't help that I am related too them)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

comethead

Post by comethead »

I think the future of drab crappy cars will make our cars (and all "old" cars) even more desirable. Our younger generations are not lost. Still many many young enthusiasts and future wrenches out there.
I have an Instagram page where I share pics of my Comet and Falcon. Many young subscribers see what we do as super cool and want to do the same. They start with Mustangs and then get deeper. I have faith that this hobby will last forever!! :mrgreen:
My 6 and 7 year old kids are in awe of my old junk. My little girl drew a picture of my future track Falcon! And my boy asked when he can drive it on the track! I said I'm building it for you and his smile was ear to ear!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

as a teen in the late 70s,all i was into was muscle cars.my dad still had his 13 yes 13 56 fords,he saw no value in the 60s stuff,but i hoarded what i could at the time.20 years later,my dad had sold all his 56s,he now has 2 66 fairlanes,the same stuff he was hauling to the crusher years earlier.i didnt have a crystal ball to look into but i did believe the muscle cars would shine, back then
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

The beauty of cars the vintage of ours is that you can work on them. Cars today are so computer controlled and interlocked that you can't work on them without investing thousands of bucks in equipment. And you need to spend hours in continuing education courses due to the rate of change in complexity as cars get "smarter". Hook something up wrong and it could cost you a $600-$800 Engine Control Module! Our cars just make sense, and you can usually figure out how to do something to it by tearing into it and seeing how it works. In most cases, if you drop a wrench in the engine compartment, it will actually fall out the bottom. :shock:
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Probably bailing wire (they still make that? I have gotten a few wire tied straw bales), duct tape, pliers, screwdriver and maybe a crescent wrench and you might fix one of our cars on the road well enough to make it back home or too town. New car I might be skeptical.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread