Roy Pool

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
bigblok427

Re: Roy Pool

Post by bigblok427 »

Roy's son Doug will be setting up a celebration of Roy's life in Camarillo within the next couple of weeks...He wants everyone to bring their cars, especially the Comets and other Mercurys to give him a proper send off! Please check Roy's or Doug's facebook page in the upcoming days for details!!

Just read through the forum... I will have Doug post the info on the memorial/celebration on here as well since some of you dont have facebook. I will also get an address for you guys....

Jkonen

Post by Jkonen »

Hello everyone. My name is Jason and I am Roy's nephew. It is an absolute honor to be Roy's nephew. It is amazing to see how many people he helped, though it wasn't a surprise. He was truly a very caring person. I am asking if all of you could please email me pictures that you have with Roy. I would like to put together a picture collage to show everyone how many peoples lives he has touched and have it at his ceremony. Please email to j.konen@comcast.net. I am also on facebook (Jason Konen) in placerville, ca. Thank you so much and I know we all appreciate the prayers and wishes.

Jason

Ratical

Post by Ratical »

Roy will be missed.
Be Good and You Will Be Lonesome

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

There is a pic on this thread I ran across a while back that gave me a good chuckle. Roy,sitting in a comet engine bay,working & cuttin' up with a friend.
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... f=9&t=1367
Johno

Jkonen

Post by Jkonen »

poboyjo65 wrote:There is a pic on this thread I ran across a while back that gave me a good chuckle. Roy,sitting in a comet engine bay,working & cuttin' up with a friend.
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... f=9&t=1367

I got the picture. That is exactly how I like to remember him! Thank you so much!

Jkonen

Post by Jkonen »

The way I like to remember him.

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

Roy will be missed by all of us!!!! He helped me with a few issues on my car that I will never forget. Many thoughts and prayers to his family,he will surely be missed. Andy

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

That pic is awesome!! Right-on Roy!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :D :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Jkonen wrote:Hello everyone. My name is Jason and I am Roy's nephew. It is an absolute honor to be Roy's nephew. It is amazing to see how many people he helped, though it wasn't a surprise. He was truly a very caring person. I am asking if all of you could please email me pictures that you have with Roy. I would like to put together a picture collage to show everyone how many peoples lives he has touched and have it at his ceremony. Please email to j.konen@comcast.net. I am also on facebook (Jason Konen) in placerville, ca. Thank you so much and I know we all appreciate the prayers and wishes.

Jason
Hey Jason, I like you am gonna miss him, he meant more to me than I realized.
I have posted the best pics I have of Roy in this thread which you are welcome to use.
There is a lot a stuff in here, maybe something I missed that you might want.
Fred
http://s234.photobucket.com/user/fredsm ... t=3&page=1
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

comethead

Post by comethead »

I'll dig up a few pics as well from past Mercury Shows.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Doug Pool

Post by Doug Pool »

Hello everyone,
This is Roy's oldest son Doug. I was turned on to your forum by my cousin Jason Konen who recently posted on this thread. I just got through reading through all of your posts and I am having a hard time seeing my keyboard through the tears. From myself and my family, THANK YOU for the kind words. We obviously know what Roy meant to all of us but it is overwhelming to see how many of you he touched over the years.

I have spoken to many of his race friends and it seems that there is a bit of the telephone game going on as to what really happened to dad. Let me tell you that he lived life right up to the final moment. He had taken his car to a car show in his new home town of Overton, Nevada (and in typical Roy Pool fashion, won 1st Place in the Race Car Division). When he returned home, he wasn't feeling well and was having pain in his upper back. The pain continued to get worse so he called 911 and also called my brother that lives in Henderson, Nevada. After the paramedics arrived, they called my brother and told him that they thought that dad was having some sort of cardiac episode and that they wanted to helivac him to Valley Hospital in Las Vegas. By the time that my brother and his wife got to the hospital, Dad was sitting up in bed talking to the doctors and nurses. They had given him morphine for the pain and from what I understand, that made him more chatty than usual. The doctors told my brother that they thought that Dad had had some sort of cardiac episode but were baffled because all of the tests were showing good results. The EKG was fine, blood enzymes were good etc... Since Dad lived so far away, they suggested that he stay overnight and they do a stress test on his heart in the morning. My brother hung around until about 10:00pm or so and when they noticed that Dad was getting tired so they told him to get some rest and that they would be back in the morning. Some time around midnight, the hospital called my brother and said that Dad had had a heart attack when they were checking him into his room and that they had revived him. While my brother and his wife were on the way back to the hospital, Dad had another attack and they rushed him down to intensive care. They worked on him for about 30 minutes and could not revive him.

Dad's wishes were to be cremated so we have already made those arrangements and are planning on having a celebration of his life back in his old home town of Camarillo, California sometime in the next couple of weeks. Right now it is looking like it will be on Saturday November 12th. However, we are still searching for a venue large enough to handle what we think will be a large turnout. We would like to make his memorial an impromptu car show (with perhaps a few burnouts and a cackle-fest in his honor). I will definitely post the official date and location on this Forum as well as Facebook as soon as we get everything set up. We would like to keep this a casual affair with the attire and attitude being that of what you would normally wear and how you would normally act at any other car show (with the exception of a few more tears than normal).

Since Dad had the car loaded in the trailer and the trailer hooked to his truck, I will be driving it back to California tomorrow so that we can have the car at his memorial. For any of you that can't attend and want to send a card and/or favorite photo to be displayed at the celebration, you can send them to me at my address below. Either mail or email. If you feel the need to contribute in any way, please make a donation to any foundation that supports our veterans as I'm sure you know my dad's passion for our military men and women.

I'm not sure what else that I have to say right now other than be sure to tell your loved ones "I Love You" as often as possible. I know that my dad and I said it every time that we spoke and I sure am going to miss that voice saying those words.

Thank you all for your love and support,

Doug Pool
1255 Humboldt Drive
Nipomo, CA 93444
cell (805) 432-6064
mpool805@charter.net

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Thank you Doug for letting all of us know this first hand. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family.
Doug Pool wrote:We obviously know what Roy meant to all of us but it is overwhelming to see how many of you he touched over the years.
I think we all agree here that Roy was a big part of our group and we will miss him greatly and always will.
Doug Pool wrote:I'm not sure what else that I have to say right now other than be sure to tell your loved ones "I Love You" as often as possible. I know that my dad and I said it every time that we spoke and I sure am going to miss that voice saying those words.
Doug couldn't agree with you more on this after loosing both of my parents over the last few years we realize how precious the time we have with one another is.

I hope a few of this group that are close enough and have the ability can attend the celebration. As the owner of the Comet Performance Forum I can tell you in the coming days we will do something to officially honor your dad.

Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Doug,

Thank you for taking the time to update us, we know this is a very difficult time and you have a ton of things to handle so we really appreciate your sharing with us. People you have never met, in fact as you have read many on this forum never had the opportunity to met your dad but we all feel he was a close friend. I did get to met your dad a couple times, I bought a door for my comet from him and also got to see his car run at the track up here in WA state a couple years ago. He was super helpful as I built my motor and then when i had issues with it at first, he even took time to call others for input on my problem. In a lot of ways he reminds me of my own father, I think they are about the same age give or take a few years and I have thought about how short life is in this world. Makes me wish my dad lived closer, as hearing of your dad's passing has hit me hard, I will truly miss him.

Ant

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i know that i tend to disagree with folks now and then,but in my honest opinion,i think Roy was by far the most knowledgeable comet man on the forum,not taking away from anyone else.i know there is tons of knowledge on this forum,but Roy stood tall above the rest of us! i dont think anyone would argue that.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

comethead

Post by comethead »

Doug thanks for taking the time to let us know about the circumstances and about the memorial. My condolences to your family for your loss.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed