Getting a title for an untitled car

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Jedeka

Getting a title for an untitled car

Post by Jedeka »

I have been looking for a parts car to get some rear quarters for my 67 Capri. I came across another 67 Capri rolling chassis with good rear quarters. The car had been sitting unseen in a salvage yard and had been a southern car. Other than the rear taillight panel and someone cutting out the passenger floor, the car is better overall condition than mine. The battery tray looks like new and the remaining floorboards seem solid. The parts car is a factory A/C car, which is another plus. I have a bill of sale with the VIN number and wondering if it would be difficult to obtain a title for this car. Thanks.

albert

Re: Getting a title for an untitled car

Post by albert »

Each state has their own rules on issuing car titles, check out how if they will allow you to use an etching of the VIN plate or photos of engine and body number data. If you cannot get one issued in Iowa then look for ads in Hemmings where various title services are offered by companies in different states. Several years ago I got a Mississippi title for a car I had in New Jersey, cost me $300 to get this done. I then transferred that Title to a NJ Title.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

loman

Post by loman »

I did the same thing as Albert. I bought a parts car years ago that didn't have a title. A few years back, I decided I might work on it someday and make it driveable. I went through a company in Alabama that helped get me a title. I believe the name was Broadway Title. I don't know if they are still in business or not. Basically, I sold them the car and they sell it back to me with a bill of sale. In Missouri, they would honor the bill of sale from Alabama and issue me the title for my car. That was been about 10 yrs ago and rules may have changed since then. I have also tried to buy a car from a junkyard in Missouri and they told me they could not sell it to me because it had a salvage title. Most importantly is to do what Albert suggested and check the laws in your state on obtaining a title for the car.

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

In Alabama they used bill's of sale; not title's. An Alabama bill of sale for the car will get you a title. I hope your car came from Bama.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

HERE you can get a new title with just a bill of sale,,,I have done that several times,in fact concerning my 66 f100,I got the orginal title with it,but I did not want to give it up,cause it had the orginal price of the truck when new and the orginal owner's name and signature on it and he was a friend that I worked with for yrs,so ,so his widow wrote me a bill of sale and it was used to make me a new title,but at the top of it ,it has dulplic title printed on it......in case your wondering how much it cost in oct of 65,,it was 1794.56...v8 stick shift swb custom cab with dealer add on AC and seat belts and with a padded dash chrome grill and frt bumper with all the trim and both sun visors,cig lighter and 4 way flashers and a radio with full whl covers,,,,,lot of money back then ,,,, 8) :) pop
pop/glenda