TFFN going away.

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Comechero65

TFFN going away.

Post by Comechero65 »

TFFN is going away in about a year. I know it won't matter to all but may to some. The owner is shutting it down and not selling. I'm kind of sad to hear this is coming but was aware that it would one day. Made a lot of contacts and friends there and a lot of good info that will disappear. Posted many a pic especially as I was putting Comechero together. Life goes on. :(
Ron

SASSY

Re: TFFN going away.

Post by SASSY »

Sad to hear, for me its the info there!
Lots a great tech and knowledge.
Wonder why he doesnt sell?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

comethead

Post by comethead »

Sorry to hear this! :(
Many a good thread there and lots of great reference pics. It's too bad.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

albert

Post by albert »

The aging demographics of our hobby suggest that we will see more shocking announcements like this because there are not enough younger people interested in the classic cars that we like. Get ready for more change!
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

loman

Post by loman »

comethead wrote:Sorry to hear this! :(
Many a good thread there and lots of great reference pics. It's too bad.

Joe
I'm not a member there but it's a shame to lose all that valuable information

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I've always wondered why there weren't more "stickies" in each section. Aside from the social aspects (camaraderie, etc.), 'boards (usually) wind-up being great sources of knowledge. Having the best of it organized would make it easier to save!

It is too bad and I'd agree with Albert about the somewhat waning interest in '60's stuff. Only so many folks to go around. x2 on the why not sell it though... I'd have a tough time to just "anybody" but a fellow enthusiast that'd keep it going? Don't see a downside... :?
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I too wish he would sell the site and turn everything over to someone. Apparently mutiple reasons for shutting it down. So much info and years of accumulated knowledge to see go to waste. May be it's pride I don't know. Surely must be somone willing to make the commitment to save something that's been around 20 years. If I had invested twenty years of my life in I would want to see it continue on. I'm sure it takes some time and commitment to keep a board running successfully as he has done. If I weren't so old and with limited resources I would even consider doing something to help.
Got a whole year so who knows what might happen in that time.
Ron

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I think there is plenty of interest from the younger generation. I'm sure there is plenty of information over there, but I've always found that there were some pretty abrasive attitudes too. Follow the (ridiculous) rules or leave, basically.

The owner's signature says a lot: "Some people question my sanity because of the way I run my site. I question my sanity because I do run it."

If thats how you feel about it, why even bother? Let someone else run it who enjoys it and appreciates it. I'm sure you could find someone if you actually looked.

Edit: Just a thought, would there be an easy way to archive the forum, or even just some of the better threads, without having administrator access?
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea I hate to loose valuable info,pics & acquaintances. It ain't over till it's over, Maybe Ron will buy it! :D
redhotcomet wrote: Just a thought, would there be an easy way to archive the forum, or even just some of the better threads, without having administrator access?
Probably be a good idea to copy any pics that we see on there that might be hard to get otherwise, if you think it may be of help someday to someone ,grab it.
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

poboyjo65 wrote:Yea I hate to loose valuable info,pics & acquaintances. It ain't over till it's over, Maybe Ron will buy it! :D
redhotcomet wrote: Just a thought, would there be an easy way to archive the forum, or even just some of the better threads, without having administrator access?
Probably be a good idea to copy any pics that we see on there that might be hard to get otherwise, if you think it may be of help someday to someone ,grab it.
There's probably no easy way to archive all the valuable data for the site at least not without a lot of time and work. I don't think the owner wants to sell so don't know how it can be saved. I'm getting too old to even think about getting involved even though it saddens me to see it disappear.

The owner may have some tight demands on users which I guess that's his choice. It does turn people away but is still a waste to see it disappear. Someone else could relax the rules and bring more active members to the site. Whatever the final outcome at least it would survive.

You have to admit it keeps the focus on the falcon line so not a lot of distraction from other product lines. Kind of like the Comet forum though the Comet board was never as strict at least not what I have observed. Many other boards are a mix of everything there is or ever was so makes finding good continuous info more difficult. It's more enjoyable when the concentration is on one product line.

It would be nice to see the board continue in whatever form it should evolve to for the sake of all the good info there. Otherwise it's like hitting the delete button on everything you and others have ever done on the board. And it's a shame to loose all those contacts you build up over time.
Ron

BJB

Post by BJB »

I'm a member and I have enjoyed chatting with fellow Ford enthusiasts on the other side of the world. I have developed friendships and when I was in the US this year I managed to speak to a guy in Sthrn CA when I was in Napa.

The TFFN Facebook version will continue as it doesn't need as much maintenance and costs to run, but FB is a pain to use regarding researching and finding previous subjects.

Hell, I got a lot of info out of that site, and I am grateful that I'm even tolerated on this forum considering I don't own a Comet (even though it kind of looks one)

cheers

Bruce
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

BJB wrote:I'm a member and I have enjoyed chatting with fellow Ford enthusiasts on the other side of the world. I have developed friendships and when I was in the US this year I managed to speak to a guy in Sthrn CA when I was in Napa.
The TFFN Facebook version will continue as it doesn't need as much maintenance and costs to run, but FB is a pain to use regarding researching and finding previous subjects.
Hell, I got a lot of info out of that site, and I am grateful that I'm even tolerated on this forum considering I don't own a Comet (even though it kind of looks one)
cheers
Bruce
I also have injoyed conversations from those no matter where they are from. I also don't have a true comet but never felt unwanted here. Some of the same people here also frequent both boards as well as others. I find many good people no matter what board it happens to be.

Even though TFFN Facebook will continue to exist it's still doesn't provide access to all the 20 years of postings on the present TFFN. All of that will be gone like it never existed. Would like to see the owner turn it over to someone else no matter how much it may change. May not happen but we can hope.
Ron

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I've started copying the threads I'm particularly interested in (e.g. EPAS conversion) so I can reference them in the future. You can copy and paste directly into a Word document one thread page at a time and it works just fine. Takes some time, but it's better than loosing it forever. :(
Jim

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I have a question for Lavron. This comment has been posted on TFFN in regards to the future.

I've opened up the forums to all the bots to archive so I imagine sooner or later you will be able to search online or go to wayback time machine https://archive.org/web/ and search the forums? Its in the Library of Alexandria (Egypt no less)

I never heard of the Internet Archive Wayback Forum. Sounds like he is opening all the board so the bots can get the TFFN files to get added which makes me think all the TFFN files will be accessible through thier forum. Any knowledge of this and does it work? Does anyone know anything about this?

If that really works then there is hope all the files won't be lost.

I thought about copying many of the files but would take a good size second drive and a lot of time spent. This may be the best solution.
Ron

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I tested the TFFN link via the wayback time machine but couldn't get past the log in. Even though I entered the correct info it keeps looping back as if I never entered anything. maybe there is a special log in or a way around the log in. Anyone know why?? Maybe because the site is still active?

Ron