Identify my junk.

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Igot2mercs

Identify my junk.

Post by Igot2mercs »

Anyone know what these are? The one on the right has threads on the bottom of it.Image

Comechero65

Re: Identify my junk.

Post by Comechero65 »

That is a clamp for doing a Hot Patch on a tube. I watched my dad do a ton of those. Even learned to do a few myself.
You cleaned the tube real good, added some adhesive then clamped the patch in place using that clamp. then you poked a hole in the patch material then lit a match to it and it would burn the stuff and fuse the patch to the tube.
My dad always preferred that to a 'cold patch'.
Probably hard to find these days if they even still exist since tubes not as common it tires.
Ron

loman

Post by loman »

And to think I was going to say a paper weight.

Groover

Post by Groover »

I was going to say some crazy ass spurs.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Igot2mercs

Post by Igot2mercs »

Thanks for the info! I thought they might be for patching tubes but the one has threads on the bottom. Was it screwed to a post or something?Image

BJB

Post by BJB »

Screw in heating element. Heats from the back of the plate perhaps.
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Funny someone just gave one of those to my father in law and I was wondering what it was for, also gave him a box of "Camel" brand patches looks like they decided cigarettes were more profitable in the end.

Ant

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Seems like I read somewhere fairly recently that they were 2 different companies,camel smokes & camel patches, both having similar designed trademark pics.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I patched many a tube with one of those when I worked for a tire company in the 70's. The threaded base was for mounting it to a pipe stand for convenience. Trying to hold the tube, get the patch positioned, get the clamp tightened on the patch, light the patch and then set it somewhere it wouldn't set the shop on fire while the patch burned was tough if you didn't have the clamp mounted someplace stationary. When I was a teenager, I worked at an OTASCO (formerly Economy Auto) store, and I sold a bunch of those Camel patches. Boy, those things could take your breath away, too, if you didn't have good ventilation when you lit it. :roll:
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Same with the camel smoke Jim,especially the non filtered ones. Had a buddy who smoked them, he called them desert mules. :lol:

btw, I did google the 2 logos ,they are slightly different, camels facing differently & font is different,so I think my memory was right ,,this time.
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:I patched many a tube with one of those when I worked for a tire company in the 70's. The threaded base was for mounting it to a pipe stand for convenience. Trying to hold the tube, get the patch positioned, get the clamp tightened on the patch, light the patch and then set it somewhere it wouldn't set the shop on fire while the patch burned was tough if you didn't have the clamp mounted someplace stationary. When I was a teenager, I worked at an OTASCO (formerly Economy Auto) store, and I sold a bunch of those Camel patches. Boy, those things could take your breath away, too, if you didn't have good ventilation when you lit it. :roll:
Jim
Forgot the name of the patches being Camel till it was mentioned then the memory came back. Ya you didn't want to breath those fumes while it was burning. It was best to take it outside while burning.
We never had that style and never saw the one with the threads but obviously was made to mount on a pipe for support. they were ackward to use. The patches themselves were diamond shaped. It was called a Vulcanizing patch.
Camel brand diamond shape patches. Could not find the patches only the boxes:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2322494421 ... rmvSB=true

Here's another brand called Monkey Grip:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-large-M ... 2856854999

You can see on the Monkey Grip box the diamond shape patches. The metal part of the patch had notches in all 4 corners for the clamp to set into. Came across some different shaped clamps while searching.
Ron
Last edited by Comechero65 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

THE tubes of today and the patches of today won't hardly adhere to each other,back in the day when that patch machine was used ,the hot patch was the way to go,,I have just smeared glue after cleaning tube and set it on fire with a match,blow it out and stick the patch and rub it down with the back side of my pocket knife handle......vulcanizing together 2 pieces of rubber all it was....wish I had a nickle foreach one I did in my younger days working service stations after school and on week ends,,have even put boots in tires....that's where you actualy cut a section of old tire and glue it inside the good tire because the hole was to big to patch or there was a slit to long to patch....years ago people had to make do anyway they could,,,by the way...with a booted tire,you didn't drive real fast most times cause you could feel the boot going bumptity bump ! but it got you to work and or to school....and some people call that the good ole days.......OL POP wonders sometime :roll: :lol: :lol: :wink:
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

BJB wrote:Screw in heating element. Heats from the back of the plate perhaps.
You don't want a heater on the back side or you could melt both sides of the tube together.
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

IT was mounted to a brkt that was mounted to a table or a pipe type stand,,it had to be kinda out to itself sorta free standing ,you had to have plenty of room around it cause in some case's you had to hot patch a tire from the inside.....pop ( boy this has woke up some memory brain cells that have been idle for some time :shock: :lol: :wink:
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

popscomet wrote:IT was mounted to a brkt that was mounted to a table or a pipe type stand,,it had to be kinda out to itself sorta free standing ,you had to have plenty of room around it cause in some case's you had to hot patch a tire from the inside.....pop ( boy this has woke up some memory brain cells that have been idle for some time :shock: :lol: :wink:
I had forgotten about that till he posted the pic. But came rushing back like it was yesterday. My dad did many a hot patch that way. I did a few myself. That was in the early days before we owned an air compressor so pumped tires up with a hand pump. Don't remember how we did the big tractor tires. Don't think we used the hand pump for those. would have taken all day.
Ron