Introduction of myself and Scarlett

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
DirtyHarry44cal

Introduction of myself and Scarlett

Post by DirtyHarry44cal »

Howdy to all. I'm new here and am in need of advice, knowledge on my 63 Comet....AKA Scarlett. She needs a lot of work but I'm committed to get her road worthy. She will become my primary car as I have started attending college again to finish, finally. Because of this my income is rather limited. I will post pictures of her in a week or so when she arrives at the new house. Scarlett belonged to my neighbor and when she joined the Army she asked me if she could store Scarlett on my property for a bit. We'll a bit turned into two years, and yes She was paying me. When she returned to visit she gave Scarlett to me as she had lost interest in her, I was thrilled to accept the gift. Scarlett has been sitting for another two years and I'm ready to get this Lady on the road. She needs new weather shipping badly as most of it has rotted away. Also tires, I have found my choices to be limited because of her 13 inch rims. Engine and transmission I rebuilt last year. Gas tank needs to be removed and cleaned. Tank as a lot of rust but no holes that I can detect. Sender may need to be replaced but I'll know for sure once I drop the tank. I had the seats done about six months ago. She doesn't have any body damage but she does have some rust, she needs paint bad. The rust isn't a dealbraker, it is only on the surface and hasn't eaten through. Her front brakes are locked up and I need to bleed the brakes. Master cylinder seems to be ok. Any advice is welcome, I would like to do as much as I can myself, after all isn't that what it's all about?

poboyjo65

Re: Introduction of myself and Scarlett

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome aboard ! Though you have it listed last IMO those brakes would be the first on the list. But even on the cheap it can be done to put on a dual MC. this is so much safer than the cold cream jar that was stock. with it & a failure & you're ---- out of luck. the dual MC is 2 separate chambers insuring that if front or back failures either one that you still have the other & SOME brake. SOME being a whole lot better than none. You may know this but I had to say it. more help will come from all around. I just felt that was the most important.
Johno

DirtyHarry44cal

Brakes and tires are first on my list, just happened to be listed last on the introduction. A dual MC is a great idea, I hadn't thought of that. Any idea how much it could be? And thanks for the safety concern, brakes should be as reliable as possible.

Groover

Post by Groover »

poboyjo65 wrote:the dual MC is 2 separate chambers insuring that if front or back failures either one that you still have the other & SOME brake. SOME being a whole lot better than none.
I just keep my left hand free in case I need to grab onto that e-brake :shock:
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! I'm with John on the brakes being first on the list. Check your rubber hoses on all four wheels, too. They're bound to be brittle. I'd put in new wheel cylinder kits, too. Be sure to flush the system with fresh brake fluid before building the wheel cylinders. Good idea to make sure she'll stop before you worry about making her go. :wink:
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

DO YOU STOP TO START----OR START TO STOP !! :shock: :wink: :!: either way good brks are a must
pop/glenda

DirtyHarry44cal

What is the best but cheapest way to clean out the rust and crap in the fuel tank?

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I put a couple on your other thread, here is one of them. btw it will be confusing to ask the same question on 2 different threads!
http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/DC/ ... 7433948852
Johno