1965 Caliente questions :)

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
garch65

1965 Caliente questions :)

Post by garch65 »

I just joined the club hoping to find some like minded people to help me with my 1965 Comet Caliente.
I inherited it from a very close friend, it's been with his family forever. I was in the Navy with him back in the eighties and this car was his pride and joy, so I'm honored to have it. It has matching numbers I believe and everything seems to match. I can't figure out the engine though...
I want to rebuild it and clean it up in honor of my friend. It has a 9 inch rear end, and the water pump was replaced so I don't know if it was originally cast iron. How do I figure out what motor I have and if it matches? Does matching numbers also mean the Transmission as well? It's a factory 4 speed hard top, green 2 door, manufactured in Ohio. It may be a Hi po motor and if so, I want to leave it alone except for making it look new again... if not, I want to get a bigger motor :)
Any help would be greatly appreciated in helping me identifying the motor! I would also like recommendations on fluids and spark plugs, Etc... in regards to this car... I want to make it nice again...
Thank-you,

Garch 65

poboyjo65

Re: 1965 Caliente questions :)

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on ! :D If it is a factory hipo it will have a bolt in export brace, others will be welded in braces from cowl to shock towers, so if it has these it isnt a factory hipo car.it could still have a stang hipo but unlikely. hipos also had duel point distributor. The 8'' rears look almost just like a 9'', but a hipo would have the 9'', if you can get a socket on all the chunk bolts it is an eight. there should be some numbers behind the starter to tell what it is & another cast date close. It could have a number on the tab out in front of a v cover, some do some dont, possibly if the block has been decked it may be gone.hipo heads will have spring pockets & screw in studs. toss up some pics ,we'd love to see it! you will need a pic host like p bucket
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... f=1&t=2448
Johno

Loner

Post by Loner »

Sounds like a cool car even cooler if it is a hypo.I too would love to see some pictures of it.

Matt

garch65

Post by garch65 »

Thanks!
I will need to figure out how I can get pictures on this website, my phone has the pictures. I was hoping, I might have the Hi po motor, but after reading your comments above I will need to dig a little deeper... I think you might be right regarding my rear end size. I will take pictures and send them your way for confirmation.
I really appreciate the information, my power steering fluid is leaking at the bottom seal pretty good from sitting over the years. Any recommendations on that?
Hopefully I can figure out the pictures soon!

Groover

Post by Groover »

garch65 wrote:my power steering fluid is leaking at the bottom seal pretty good from sitting over the years. Any recommendations on that?
Hopefully I can figure out the pictures soon!
Which bottom seal? Have you tightened it up?

As Poboy says, here's how to post photos:

http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... f=1&t=2448
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard, Garch! Like John said, probably the easiest/quickest first check for the Hipo is the export brace. If the diagonal braces in the engine compartment that run from the top of the firewall to the top of the shock absorber towers is welded in, it's not a Hipo. If it can be unbolted and removed, it COULD be a hipo, unless it was modified later. If it has the bolt-in export brace and you're pretty certain it's original, then the odds improve in favor of a hipo if the other tell-tail indicators are there. Get those pictures posted and we'll help you figure it out. We're pulling for you, 'cause the hipos are few and far between. :shock:
Jim

comethead

Post by comethead »

No Hipo's had power steering. Yours PS could have been added later.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

garch65

Post by garch65 »

Joe, John, and Jim Thanks!
I work for UPS doing long haul so my days are long, but I will be home this weekend to add pictures. I think after reading your points of interest, I do have power steering, export braces are welded, and now I need to figure out what rear end I have. I was getting excited that it might be the HIPO... It's looking like not now.
A little history- Gareth was my Navy buddy who passed in 2000, Top gun school flying a Tig-38 doing what he loved. The Comet had been his car forever with his dad Gary. Gareth worked on it with his dad all the time. When we were in the Navy Gareth said only my dad and I drive the car... I thought that's crazy but it always intrigued me.
Gary passed last year and he wanted the car to go to someone who would loved it the same. I got a call late one night on Labor day last year eating BBQ kebab's which was the last meal I ate with Gareth before his accident. That night, I Inherited the car. I was speechless, lost for words that his dad did that for me. Gary wrote a nice letter stating why he wanted me to enjoy his son's beloved car. Gary couldn't let it go until he passed, it was the one thing he cherished with his son.
I want to leave it original in honor of them both. The only things I noticed that aren't original are the rims and steering wheel. The rims are pretty rusty and I would like to put a 60's style rim back on, I was thinking the Magnum 500"s.
It's been years since I've worked on a car that old. It was their project and as much as I would like to pay someone to make it pristine again, I would not be honoring the tradition...
It's been sitting in a barn since 2000 in Spokane, Washington. I decided to drive it home with faith my buddy wouldn't let me down. I drove it 16 hours straight to California and it was awesome seeing the reaction of people as I drove by... A CHP officer followed me into a gas station at 2am to look at it on I-5. Rear end has leaks, 2nd gear pops out only when decelerating, and the power steering leaks but I made it home!
The license plate I picked in California is GARCH 65 as that was his nickname on the side of his jet- GARCH- Urban Dictionary definition is funny and the pilot name is given by pilot buddies :D
Grateful for the help, and I look so forward to cruising in my new Caliente!
Pics to follow this weekend

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Wow! That's a heart warming story! thanks for sharing! :D It will be a pleasure to help you anyway we can & look forward to it, & I know I speak for all here on that! & thanks you for your service!
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

GREAT story,,,very touching and what better way to honor your friend and his dad,put it back up in tip top shape and drive it,,and knowing who is always beside you...good luck and thank you POP
pop/glenda

garch65

Post by garch65 »

garch65

Post by garch65 »

garch65

Post by garch65 »

Here are a couple of pictures of my Comet.

garch65

Post by garch65 »

garch65

Post by garch65 »