Photobucket :x

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Rocket989

Photobucket :x

Post by Rocket989 »

Apparently Photobucket changed their TOS recently and "linking" your pictures from another site is gonna cost $400 bucks a year!! It's only a matter of time before the ole Inet is littered with broken image ref's. Remember when Geocities/ Tripod, etc. did the same with their page/ site hosting??...it took more than a decade for that mess to kinda fade and I still sometimes run across broken links from them.

I'm gonna move my pics elsewhere but it's gonna take awhile. Although in threads other than my build thread it may be hard to tell what pic oughta be there.

I hope Photobucket goes up in flames. I was paying a buck a month to get rid of the ad's and would pay something reasonable but $40 bucks a month is f'ing ludicrous!!! :!: :x
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

lavron
Site Admin

Re: Photobucket :x

Post by lavron »

Life is wonderful :(

Wish I could afford to host but not sure about having near enough storage space.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Yah - if I'm interpreting this right, it's gonna be epically lousy. PB probably has 100's of millions of photos shared on forums (not to mention for other stuff).

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

I have no business but found a need to post pictures and have an email that wasn't tied to a boat load of advertising (hence - Yahoo, Gmail, etc...) For I think $55 per year I have my own domain http://www.fairlanet.com. I can post my own pictures easily and no one is set up to block mine such as Photobucket. I have access to over 300 email accounts if I want. I have one, I have my wife and daughter set up and we control it all. Any pictures I ever post are though my domain. Something you might want to consider? I have the same email address for 14 years without ads.

Some of my domain pictures without a hosts icon in the picture.
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Well that really sucks! But I'm not going to do anything yet. Maybe when they get an earfull of cussings from around the world they will see the light. Like some of the comments I've read regarding this change, they may have shot both of their own feet, People will not buy from someone who does stuff like this with no warning. I did read one guy said he went into his bucket, clicked on the magnifying glass & was able to use that on a forum somehow but I'm not doing anything just yet. Postimage had scare like this a while back, said they were going broke, then they popped back up & said they got enough donations to keep it going. for some reason, maybe because I haven't used it in a while but my PB pics are still up in my thread, but they may be gone soon. It may be best to not try using the bucket until this is all finalized. Unless your pics are all gone like rockets.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Mine are still there as far as I can tell, at least for now :roll:
poboyjo65 wrote:Postimage had scare like this a while back, said they were going broke, then they popped back up & said they got enough donations to keep it going.
That was right when I was going to change over and stopped because they said they were going to cease to exist, so I stayed on Photobucket, we will see how it all plays out.

I could host my own picts as well like Fairlaniac but wanted to live just like everyone else, because I couldn't share my space :roll: I guess we will see what happens.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Doug - yea, I have a couple registered domains so might go that route.

It does suck...I'd pay something reasonable but from Free or $.99-cents to $39.99 a month is flat-out gonna piss a lot of folks off! :|

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

JL its kinda weird that you were paying them & they turned yours off yet I give them nothing & mine are still on. the only other one That I have noticed missing pics is arkansascomet's , his are gone too. BTW, JL when you went ad free did it speed up the bucket any? it was getting so slow for me & since most all of my pics were just loose in the bucket it was hard to find pics, that's why I quit using it.

Those guys have certainly gotten greedy quickly, wanting to go from free to 400 a year is worse than greedy. it is stupid.crazy. It will be another great blunder like New Coke, I bet that dont happen again. or the ''no more twinkie'' scare.

so maybe they are just trying to scare up a few million to revise or upgrade.they gotta be making money off all those ads. Maybe it's just marketing strategy. Since Coke did better than ever after they brought the original coke back & I bet twinkie sales picked up too after their deal. :lol:
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

It sped-up a lot w/o the ad's...gotten to the point of being a complete turd to use. I figured it was worth a buck a month (though I think they've even raised just that to $2.49/ mo.). I think they're using a bandwidth-based utilization trigger, so eventually about everybody is gonna get whacked... Or if not, they decided to do some of 'em and see how pissed people get..

I remember New Coke! About the same time in the 80's as the 3-liter bottles!! :D :D :lol: :lol: Stuff wasn't bad but it sure the heck wasn't Coke!! :roll:

Cripes, I'll bet cans of New Coke are collectable now!! :roll: :roll:

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Just checking in to see if mine still works.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Well I see some guys pics gone & some still here. Rocket you paid the buck a month, Has anyone else paid that buck a month for ad free use? if so are you pics still on here?
Johno

Groover

Post by Groover »

poboyjo65 wrote:Well I see some guys pics gone & some still here. Rocket you paid the buck a month, Has anyone else paid that buck a month for ad free use? if so are you pics still on here?
I have paid nothing and mine seem to still work, although I noticed one of my videos wouldn't play :(
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I haven't paid anything for mine. Nor will I, if thats how they treat their paying customers!
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I just deleted mine.

Mike, why can we not just upload a picture here from our files?

SW
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Lip Ripper wrote:I just deleted mine.

Mike, why can we not just upload a picture here from our files?

SW
I don't have enough hosting space.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread