Air Conditioning - one piece at a time.

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
vicegrip

Re: Air Conditioning - one piece at a time.

Post by vicegrip »

If your evap was originally connected to a York or Tecumseh compressor,you will be able to flush it clean and it will work fine unless it has a hole in it. Sanden or Denso,different story. If those compressors go bad.it usually contaminates everything with stuff that's not soluble.

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Comechero65 wrote:I would like to mention there is some misinformation here and a lack of knowledge on ac systems and i have a fair amount experience in ac systems (one of my fields of expertise), i could be of assitance in some of the technicalities of ac sytems. But there are some on here who think I speak wrong info and don't know what I'm talking about, maybe I should just continue to be only in the background reading the posts and let you guys struggle along and do things the hard way. Since ac has been a big part of my lifes work it is hard to keep quiet.
Have been reading the posts for some time but have kept quiet as I have felt not welcome here. So I spend time other places helping others who actually care what I have to say.
Ron
Ron,do you want us to ask you to come back? Well....come back and I sincerely mean it. But don't take your ball and go home because somebody wants to argue with you. Lot of other guys know a few things too.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I don't want to hijack this thread so I am just want to put this one comment/statement out here.

First some of the guys I have met in person, some I have not, that makes no difference too me, some of us might even be old a crotchety and make comments that just are A- to the point or B - not worded the best so the intent is missed, or C - They are joking and we totally miss it because they are not sitting in front of us (think about particular wheels or even jabs at different years of Comets etc). I will tell you having met many of the folks here in person, there is not a bad one in the lot of them (except maybe me) and I believe the same holds for those I have not met in person (I wish could meet all of you, even the Aussies :roll: <- see that is a little bit of a joke).

With that said, I will let everyone know I read every post, most I don't have a bit of constructive information to add, so I don't even try, I don't comment sometimes I do. Some posts I don't even care about, they have no impact on what I am doing, most time the stuff is over my head, but I read them and know that someplace down the road this information will be needed by someone in the community and I can try and point them in the right direction to get that information. I realize that most stuff I post no one cares about, I am about the most indecisive person there is when I start planning something, I switch back and forth, and go in circles, I ask for advice (and get it) and then I do something totally different (probably why most of the time no one wants to talk to me) I post stuff about dipping my rusty, grungy car parts in mostly food products, and then showing pictures that most don't want to see. I think I made my point on that :roll: because the real point is this is a community and we don't all agree on everything and we all have knowledge to share or advice to give.

Let me give an example that is not car related. I have a video out there on the web someplace where I (clumsily) skin a squirrel, one of my uncles committed that "is not how you skin a squirrel" I commented back, "May not be the best way, but in the end I had a skinned squirrel" (he also did not tell me the "right" way) so in the the end we are all looking to have a skinned squirrel, how we get there doesn't matter but I think we all like advice along the way.

I believe in this thread I commented that I was going to install a pre-engineered A/C system in my car (and yes I would/will post the whole process :P ) but I still want to see how this particular install/set-up goes. I have posted stuff in the forum, like my 8.8 rear narrow, some guys don't agree with how I did it and they have shared what they feel is wrong or right about what and how I did it, I was not offended by any of that advice and I appreciated the info shared and the direction given by those that have done similar, I am doing the triangulated 4-link on the rear of my Comet (someday) others here have done it already and I know they will advise me when the time comes, I just wish someone here was an expert on air ride so I could ignore their advice.

Again we all have areas of familiarity and expertise or at least we have installed certain things or we know certain specifications, ask and usually someone here has done it and knows what not to do as well, it is all valuable and every time we lose someone the community becomes less, I can give advice on a few things, if you don't take my advice and your project fails because of it, trust me I will, most likely, never say I told you so, but help you pick up the pieces and start over. I want everyone participating, today I might have questions but tomorrow I will have answers.

If anyone wants to discuss these issues further by all means please do but we might want to move to a new thread so this one does not become cluttered.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

vicegrip wrote: Ron,do you want us to ask you to come back? Well....come back and I sincerely mean it. But don't take your ball and go home because somebody wants to argue with you. Lot of other guys know a few things too.
Visegrip, I'm not expecting anyone to ask me to come back. I am here because I choose to be here and for no other reason. And yes there are many more on here that know more than I no doubt. I don't have a problem with that. And i never want to argue with anyone, we all have our opinions which we may not agree on but that is everyones privelege.

Mike, I have met few on here but have talked to many. It's a good group of people as I find on most boards that I visit and the people i encounter at the shows. The club groups seem to be the most friendly and all are in it for the same basic reasons to enjoy the cars and interact with one another in a friendly way. All have their own unique personallities and traits which is normal. But I believe they all mean well and try to interact with one another in a good way. I do too as i try to help if possible and if the topic in discussion isn't part of my experience I try to restrain myself so as not to give bad info or detract from where the discussion is going. I have probably failed that intent more than once but i do try. and can only try to do better. I'm sure we have all made mistakes one time or another. Hopefully we can recover from that and go on trying our best to do better.

I try to read most posts and if I have anything to contribute I will and if not I will just keep quite and let those with the knowledge continue the discussion. And if I do contribute anything I try to only do so if it is of any value to anyone else. And if I say anything it is only an opinion and not absolute and I don't expect anyone to take it as my teeling them what to do. What they do is totaly up to them.

Ron

Mike if you feel it necessary you can start a new discusion on the AC Topic, go ahead. I will certainly pass along anything I have that may be of assistance to you or any others. And it only comes from what I know or what I might do whether it means anything. Or leave it as is doesn't matter to me.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Comechero65 wrote:Mike if you feel it necessary you can start a new discusion on the AC Topic, go ahead.
No need to move or start anything new, it is John's thread and now he/we can continue watching, learning, advising and enjoying this install.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

As long as where talking AC here with people in the know, I've got a question. I'm looking at getting a 65 mustang Classic Auto Air system to install in my 65 comet. Do any of you know if there system is a good one or should I be looking elsewhere. Looks like Classic Auto's bolt's right in place of the existing heater and uses the same heater controls to operate heat and cooling. All under the dash. My brother in law is installing one in a mustang and saw my car and claims it would go right in, but hasn't got it running yet to know how it works. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
tomb's 65

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

tomb22 wrote:As long as where talking AC here with people in the know, I've got a question. I'm looking at getting a 65 mustang Classic Auto Air system to install in my 65 comet. Do any of you know if there system is a good one or should I be looking elsewhere. Looks like Classic Auto's bolt's right in place of the existing heater and uses the same heater controls to operate heat and cooling. All under the dash. My brother in law is installing one in a mustang and saw my car and claims it would go right in, but hasn't got it running yet to know how it works. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Use the kit from Classic Auto Air for an early mustang and it's perfect fit. If you already have an underdash unit just order the rest of the parts and it will work.
Just locate the unit as close to the heater as you can get it. You may have to alter the mount brackets some but that's easy.
The shifter on some cars with a floor shift have a problem with the shifter hitting the ac unit. Not a problem. Just take a hot knife to the shift handle and bend it real close to the bottom. That way the boot will cover any discoloration.

I used a evap unit from a 63/64 falcon called a Polaraire and it connected up just fine after I reversed (flipped) the coil to put the connections on the drivers side. Everything else was for a mustang. I used the Polaraire unit as I thought it was the prettiest of all the falcon units in the early years.

If you want an all in one unit CCA and Vintage Air both sell those units. But the CCA is servicable whereas the Vintage unit is sealed not servicable. Otherwise they are the same unit. I would want the unit you can open to service should you have a problem later on. They also cost more.

How do you get the pics together and below the text but before your name? That was easy on another board I am familiar with but unknown to me here. This upload feature is new on this board so haven't got the hang of it yet.

By the way Thanks Mike for changing the board for direct uploads instead of having to use the dambed Photobucket. They really screwed it up and I'm sure they will be loosing a lot of users. They will lose me too as soon as I figure out how to copy my albums somewhere else. This is so much better and faster. Just have to relearn everything as all boards seem to be different,
Ron
Attachments
IMG_6419f.jpg
IMG_6419f.jpg (64.32 KiB) Viewed 2884 times
IMG_6381.JPG
IMG_6381.JPG (64.77 KiB) Viewed 2894 times
Last edited by Comechero65 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Comechero65 wrote:By the way Thanks Mike for changing the board for direct uploads instead of having to use the dambed Photobucket.
There is actually a Comet Central Photo site where larger pictures can be uploaded (well there will be as soon as I, or someone, writes instructions)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

tomb22 wrote:As long as where talking AC here with people in the know, I've got a question. I'm looking at getting a 65 mustang Classic Auto Air system to install in my 65 comet. Do any of you know if there system is a good one or should I be looking elsewhere. Looks like Classic Auto's bolt's right in place of the existing heater and uses the same heater controls to operate heat and cooling. All under the dash. My brother in law is installing one in a mustang and saw my car and claims it would go right in, but hasn't got it running yet to know how it works. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Vintage air makes kits also. summit & jegs has both brands. Since you want one of the more complete kits, that replaces your heater, I'd highly recommend calling in your order to get all the details straight. some of the more complete kits come with crankshaft pulleys which could either be 3 bolt or 4 bolt .this & other details, like the controls can be discussed ahead of time & may save some aggravation later on.
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

From what I know about the all in one units from Vintage and Custom Auto air they interface to the existing control panel on the 65 comets and falcons. If the 64 comet used the same panel then it would apply to those too. I know the 64 falcon also had the same control panel just don't know what the 64 comet used.
The pulleys would be 3 bolt on 67 and earlier v8's and they switched to the 4 bolt pulley sometime in 68. So it would depend what engine and more specific the dampener is what determines which pulley to use. Custon Auto air and I would assume Vintage would have either. In helping others to find pulleys it would appear to me stock original type 3 bolt pulleys are easier to find than 4 bolt.
It was mentioned earlier about the 3 groove crank pulley being to long and not enough room. I have dealt with that problem too. How i did it was to use just 2 groove pulleys and let the ac comp share the same belt as the ps pump. Ran a mustang for many years that way and for a short time I ran my ranchero the same way using just 2 belts. Though i no longer have ford ps since I installed electric steering so i am doing things different.
I ran the mustang with just the 2 belts for 20+ years with no problems.
Many small details but nothing impossible. Just ask.
Ron

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Comechero65 wrote:I know the 64 falcon also had the same control panel just don't know what the 64 comet used.
Same, 3 levers and a switch across the top for blower speed.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Well at least the 64 and up should link up easily enough on a all in one unit.
Ron

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks guys for all your input. I'm looking at getting the Classic Auto A/C system. I'm sure I'll get the whole system. As far as the pulley's go I put a 89 Mustang 302 motor in and bought the brackets off a 87 Grand Marque to make it all a serpentine set up. Here is a picture of the engine with a A/C delete pulley in place top left

So I will call them and get the proper compressor and hoses for that location.
tomb's 65

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

tomb22, I have no idea how the comp would mount in place of the ac eliminator so you would have to discuss that with CAA or someone here what you would need. All the other parts you can get from CAA though since the comp would go on the pass side i think the hoses would be longer so standard mustang hoses like i used on mine would probably be too short. You may have to have the suction hose from the evap to comp custom made unless you can get the hose and cut it yourself and install your own fittings.
I have never dealt with late model engine with serp system so most of that is alien to me. If you were to install the comp on the drivers side is what I am the most familiar with. v-blets is what I'm most familiar with.

Looking at another Marque or similar years to see what they used would help.
Ron

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Comechero65 wrote:tomb22, I have no idea how the comp would mount in place of the ac eliminator so you would have to discuss that with CAA or someone here what you would need. All the other parts you can get from CAA though since the comp would go on the pass side i think the hoses would be longer so standard mustang hoses like i used on mine would probably be too short. You may have to have the suction hose from the evap to comp custom made unless you can get the hose and cut it yourself and install your own fittings.
I have never dealt with late model engine with serp system so most of that is alien to me. If you were to install the comp on the drivers side is what I am the most familiar with. v-blets is what I'm most familiar with.

Looking at another Marque or similar years to see what they used would help.
Ron
The black bracket is off the Grand Marque. You unbolt the silver bracket which removes the pulley and the compressor just bolts in it's place with it's own pulley. I used this delete bracket to get a length for the belt is all, but you are right I'll have to get shorter hoses. I'll need to talk to them about that and the fact that I need a serpentine pulley on the compressor.

By the way Ron the picture you saw is my signature picture and I'm now using postimages.org to load pictures. A lot faster and free.
tomb's 65