Air Conditioning - one piece at a time.

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
poboyjo65

Re: Air Conditioning - one piece at a time.

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea Joe II'd still be putting off doing the AC if I hadn't found this unit. I saw one today priced for 500 bucks! :shock: he probably wont get it. & also saw one sell for 250 which is about what I have in my other unit. I may sell my extra unit but I have a truck that needs air, maybe I'll put it in it.

Last edited by poboyjo65 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I think I saw one, may not be the same one, that was posted on FFOG and it was $500 or at least that's what he was asking.The one I saw didn't look that good unlike the one John posted. Most would not be worth that much but the one John posted looks so good and is a rare version used in comets it might bring that much.
I have a silver faced 65 unit out of a mustang which was also used in 65 falcons. I'm not using it and would sell it. Anyone come up with $150 can have it. I think i paid more than that for it some years back.
Ron
Last edited by Comechero65 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

popscomet wrote: :shock: think I'll just roll my windows down...how many opinions can I expect to get on how to do that ??but I betcha someone is an expert on window rolling :shock: :roll: :lol: :wink: pop
If my ac ever broke i would be back to using the 3-70 ac. What more can you do till it gets fixed.Done that before. :)
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

TO BE VERY HONEST ,OL POP cares very little about AC, til I get ready to go to bed,,,I took it out of my comet but still have it all to go back in,,,in my 66f100 ,all it need is the condenser patched and charged back up,AC still works in my ranger pu,,but I rather have the window rolled down...in my 94 f150,the AC will freeze you out of there,,and that's the one GLENDA rides in or drives ,,so it has to work....but just for me alone....I can do without it.....I am out in the heat of the day all the time,on a tractor or riding lawn mower and I'm bad to wear a long sleve shirt while I'm doing it.....and always a hat...mostly a wide brim straw hat....
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

poboyjo65 wrote:Yea Joe II'd still be putting off doing the AC if I hadn't found this unit. I saw one today priced for 500 bucks! :shock: he probably wont get it. & also saw one sell for 250 which is about what I have in my other unit. I may sell my extra unit but I have a truck that needs air, maybe I'll put it in it.

Man that's purty!! :mrgreen:
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Yup, looks perfect.
Ron

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

poboyjo65 wrote:
vicegrip wrote:AC crimp is different than hydraulic. You gotta find somebody that knows the difference and has the correct crimping dies. Most don't.
The oreilys here in my town & the one in the next town over can do both AC hoses & hydra. hoses. not sure all of their stores can. Tom your AC kit will come with an assortment of fittings but oreilys has them or if you need an oddball fitting where ever you get your kit will have them or one of the links on the first page has them. the link that visegrip put up > Coldhose, has an oddball fitting that I need for the back of my underdash unit & I couldn't find any where else & will save me from using an adaptor. ( it is a #8 flare fitting made for #10 hose).

another thing I had trouble finding, since my set up is odd, & no AC shops nearby, is the hardlines that make it neater to come through the rad support. 3 are needed , one from drier thru rad support,one from condenser thru rad support ,& one from condenser to drier. vintage air makes ''U bend Em'' lines in different lengths & with different ends. though I didnt see them on their site summit has them;
https://www.summitracing.com/search/bra ... rant-lines

Tom if I were doing your set up I'd want my motor in,heater hoses , battery & radiator all installed before I ordered the kit. I definitely would not order any pre-made hoses. I've been staring at mine for over a week & still undecided exactly how I want my hoses to route. I want enough slack to be able to tie the comp over to the side without unhooking any hoses to pull the motor if ever needed but I also want it neat & not in the way of getting to the spark plugs & stuff.
you can get the sanden comp with hose outlets to the side like mine or on the back. out the back may be better for you. the big hose goes to the firewall & the smaller one could come under the compressor. But I'd want to stare at it for a bit before I decided. there is a link on the first page with the dimensions of the sanden.
Thanks for the advice and the link. I do want it to look neat under the hood
tomb's 65

Goader190

Post by Goader190 »

My 65 doesn't have a/c but do want it houston heat is a mfer what year and model ford or mercury should i be looking for to rob the a/c box from
65 Comet Caliente plans for heavy mods

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Goader190 wrote:My 65 doesn't have a/c but do want it houston heat is a mfer what year and model ford or mercury should i be looking for to rob the a/c box from
I know 64 & 65s mercs possibly 66 have one like the one above if you want original. but if you are not worried about originality you can get an new under dash unit ,as a unit or complete kit or a whole new heat & ac system that takes the place of your old heater box, & you place the outlet vents under dash or where ever. I've seen some of the underdash complete kits for under 500 bucks but they were offbrands>/quality unknown.
Johno

Goader190

Post by Goader190 »

I taking a lot of the Mustang parts fit this car or can be used with minor modification

Goader190

Post by Goader190 »

And yes since I put in LS and it don't think I'm too worried about originality I just want to have AC :evil: :lol:

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Goader190 wrote:I taking a lot of the Mustang parts fit this car
Yes they share the same platform mostly.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Goader190

Post by Goader190 »

Well that's good to know thanks a lot for the info is there any other Ford platforms that work or Mercury platforms

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

For '65 there is a lot of suspension parts all the way up to the '80s Granada/Monarch, so that would include the Maverick/Comet, those are probably the most common cars to get things like disc brake set-ups off of, I am sure someone can add more too that.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

lavron wrote:For '65 there is a lot of suspension parts all the way up to the '80s Granada/Monarch, so that would include the Maverick/Comet, those are probably the most common cars to get things like disc brake set-ups off of, I am sure someone can add more too that.

See Ya,
Mike
Even though the Granada/Monarch and Maverick/Comet are popular sources for suspension parts they aren't 100% compatible. They are good but not perfect. This topic has been discussed many times over on TFFN. One person even had pics comparing the physical differences between spindles. They also used the larger single piston floating caliper and can't use the popular Kelsey-Hayes 4 piston calipers. These parts still had some bump steer issues though not severe but minor and still there. The 65 Falcon and 65/66 mustang suspensions were the best ones to not suffer from bump steer. The 65 comet already has the right spindles so adding the rest of the 65 parts and are the more ideal setup.
Things to consider before commiting to anything.
Ron