Trying out Mineral Sprits to Clean

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

Trying out Mineral Sprits to Clean

Post by lavron »

I saw out on the web where guys were using mineral spirits to clean greasy engine parts so I thought I would try it.

I bought this gun at HF for $9 and $14 for a gallon of low odor mineral spirits from Lowe's

Pretty easy to use just stick the hose (included) in the can and spray (after attaching an air coupler to the gun)

I am going to say I was not terribly impressed, I think a pressure washer would do a better job, maybe a 40 year old engine with baked on grease needs something more aggressive. Here is how it started and how it was when done.

Not much different, a little cleaner but I had to scrub the oil pan with a wire brush to get the dirt off. I think it worked ok on the inside of the engine getting the old oil and sludge out and I will probably try using it again on the internals when I disassemble it.

It might help not having to work with totally greasy parts as I disassemble.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Groover

Re: Trying out Mineral Sprits to Clean

Post by Groover »

We use it all the time, but soak things in it rather than spray it on. Power steering components mostly, or carb. It breaks up/dissolves grease pretty well, and leaves the surface squeaky clean. Non corrosive (I think). Aluminum, stainless steel, brass, etc. Seems pretty expensive to spray and recover. I reuse it quite a bit since the dirt settles to the bottom.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

albert

Re: Trying out Mineral Sprits to Clean

Post by albert »

Been using it for years...........works well for me with a little elbow grease!
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust