Does First Love Blind Us?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

Does First Love Blind Us?

Post by lavron »

OK weird post title, but I was wondering when we experience a car, especially a Comet, is our vision impaired, are Comets not as cool as we/I think?

I was enamored with a little rust bucket '64 202 Sedan in 1979 - in 2017 I still am, she was my first car, we experienced high school and college together, the first (and subsequent) date with my wife was in that car. I mean in 1979 it was cool car. Mustangs, Camaros, Vettes, etc never could turn my head, to this day they still don't, Naturally '64 Comets are the best in my eye (but all Comets are cool) do I wear blinders or are they really the epitome of class and style, yet sporty at the same time?

Anyway I thought it would be funny to hear what everyone thinks, you are probably not as weird or crazy as me :roll: but were you effected by a hunk of metal? A car geek?

I do have my tongue in my cheek maybe a little bit, but then again how many people do you know that started a website/forum for Comet folks?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Re: Does First Love Blind Us?

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yep! :D
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WAAAY before I started to school,,POP has been a FORD lover,,,there is something about FORDS that has lighted me up my whole life,,,have owned many and still do.....and I was going strong loving fords for the 1st 16 yrs of my life,then one morning standing at the top of the school house stairs,,I saw this dark haired short skirt wearing little beauty at the bottom of the srairs,,,from that second on ,,OL POP has had 2 loves....the FORD...........and GLENDA :!: :D :wink:
pop/glenda

Groover

Post by Groover »

To your post, Mike, my answer is no... and yes... And here's why.

Before we bought our Comet, I frankly didn't know anything about them. I'd probably seen a few before, but I wouldn't have been able to pick the Comet out of a 60's car lineup, other than maybe through process of elimination. My first love was a Galaxy, and that was the search I was on. My brother had had a 65 Galaxy fast back that I got to drive a lot. I had a 68 wagon that while it was a total POS 3 on-the-tree, it was still my first car and therefore my first love. I almost pulled the trigger on a couple of Galaxies, but for various reasons, it didn't happen. Then I was talking with somebody who said they knew about this car. Didn't know what it was, but they said Ford and convertible, so I said I'd take a look.

BAM! Comet!

Didn't know what it was when I first saw it, but instantly fell in love and have never regretted it to this day. Sure, I still like the looks of a Galaxy and if I had unlimited money and garage space, I'd own one.

So my first love was a Galaxy but that did not blind me from the Comet. Now that I've found her, there is no question that the 64 Comet is the most beautiful car ever to roll of an assembly line ;)
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

My first car was a 60 Plymouth. It was a 2-door hardtop, slant-6, bench seats and 3 on the tree. It was actually a pretty sleek looking car, it you liked fins, because she had a set that would make a great-white proud. :roll: I poured my heart and soul into jazzing her up. She was white with read interior when I got her. When I got through, she was metallic blue, black interior, three on the floor, dual exhaust and chrome reverse wheels. As a 16-17 year old, I was pretty proud of what I'd done to her. But at 17, when I came across my first 65 Cyclone for sale, I realized that my Plymouth had just been an infatuation, and my true soul-mate was to be that Cyclone. :shock: :wink: 8) She was dark green, white interior, 4-speed with a modified 289 with two Holley 4V's sitting on top. I would have walked barefoot across broken glass to get that car, and $750 sealed the deal. Again, with a total investment of heart and soul and every penny I could scrounge to put into her, I painted her the same blue as my Plymouth, redid the interior in black and put a set of American mags on her. She was the sharpest set of wheels at my high school. 8) Then, I discovered another love from another high school. She was a looker, too, and I ended up marrying her three years later. Married, and with two years of college left to go, the Cyclone just didn't fit into the plan. So I let her go (the Cyclone :lol: ). I never quite got her (the Cyclone :roll: ) out of my system, though. Every time I saw one it was like telling a hound dog "SQUIRREL"! I had to chase it. Well, 44 years later, I've still got the love I married, and I've got me another 65 Cyclone to make over, too. :D I guess they both must have been the real thing. :D
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:My first car was a 60 Plymouth. It was a 2-door hardtop, slant-6, bench seats and 3 on the tree. It was actually a pretty sleek looking car, it you liked fins, because she had a set that would make a great-white proud. :roll: I poured my heart and soul into jazzing her up. She was white with read interior when I got her. When I got through, she was metallic blue, black interior, three on the floor, dual exhaust and chrome reverse wheels. As a 16-17 year old, I was pretty proud of what I'd done to her. But at 17, when I came across my first 65 Cyclone for sale, I realized that my Plymouth had just been an infatuation, and my true soul-mate was to be that Cyclone. :shock: :wink: 8) She was dark green, white interior, 4-speed with a modified 289 with two Holley 4V's sitting on top. I would have walked barefoot across broken glass to get that car, and $750 sealed the deal. Again, with a total investment of heart and soul and every penny I could scrounge to put into her, I painted her the same blue as my Plymouth, redid the interior in black and put a set of American mags on her. She was the sharpest set of wheels at my high school. 8) Then, I discovered another love from another high school. She was a looker, too, and I ended up marrying her three years later. Married, and with two years of college left to go, the Cyclone just didn't fit into the plan. So I let her go (the Cyclone :lol: ). I never quite got her (the Cyclone :roll: ) out of my system, though. Every time I saw one it was like telling a hound dog "SQUIRREL"! I had to chase it. Well, 44 years later, I've still got the love I married, and I've got me another 65 Cyclone to make over, too. :D I guess they both must have been the real thing. :D
Jim
Jim that was my first ride too! :D well, it was the car dad had when I was born (also in 60). I tell everyone I could hold up the frontend of it with one hand when I was 3 years old. Truth is it had a push button trans & somehow I knocked it out of park ,fell or jumped out & the front tire stopped on my hand. My dad picked it up off my hand, I suppose my squalling triggered his adrenaline. it was in grass so no hospital trip. my brother asked me if I remember the tire track print it made on my hand & I said no just remember a bunch of small cuts, he said yea they looked like a tread. it was a Fury but it had a V8 with the crazy intakes ,2 4 barrels ,one on each inner fender. yea it had fins big enough to make batman jealous! it was the last 2dr hardtop dad ever bought.
Johno

ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

I think our Comets are cooler than we give them credit for. I have noticed that any time I take the 63 out to a public place, I will invariably interface with at least one person that has a story of their memories involving a Comet. As an added bonus, it draws female attention like no other car I've ever owned.

To me the Comet is the "elite" model of a brief period of time when Detroit was making the perfect car - not too big, not too small, and the perfect canvas for customization mild to wild.

Groover

Post by Groover »

ElGuapo wrote:To me the Comet is the "elite" model of a brief period of time when Detroit was making the perfect car - not too big, not too small, and the perfect canvas for customization mild to wild.
How perfectly stated.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

For me, in the 60s, Cages (cars) were something I put up with when there was snow on the ground, which in Saskatchewan could be like 8 months a year!
Motorcycles were my first love. Im sure this happened from the stories my dad told me of his youth on a DKW, a Harley 45 and an Indian straight 4. The one story that remains with me. At 17 he moved to Ontario from Sask. and worked on a dairy farm, saved up and bought a 45 that never made it to the war effort, think he said it was in a crate when he got it.
So he was out to a dance, met a couple of girls and told dad to follow them to a party, no problem! As the story goes the driver taught David Pearson how to drive! He had no problem on the straights, but the corners on a gravel road required him to slow. Well they were getting away, he went too fast around a corner,,, the lights went out!
When he awoke the sun was searing down on him and he was covered in rich black dirt just over the fence,,, 8). Bike was done but he was only scratched up a bit, so since my dad was a pistol, I could be a son of a gun, immortal and ride like nothing could happen to me. And it didnt for years, but there are only 2 types of riders, those who have fallen off and those who will. Ive had several offs so Ive become more conservative in my riding.
In the words of a famous comedian"I told you that so I could tell you this" one day in the summer of 1974 while at the A&W inour 1972 VW beetle with Marilyn and our year old son, this shiny red hardtop drives through the lot, Cragars on the front deep 8s on the back with G60-14s, high back buckets outta a dodge I think,,,, GAWD!!!!!
More later
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

my first car was a 67 cougar and my dad and grandpa drove fords.my first taste of hp was my dads 63 1/2 galaxy.he gave it to me.i drove it a while and i pulled the 390 to put in a lighter body.i wanted a fairlane but my friend said i know where you a car is to put your 390 in for 200 dollars i bought my first comet a 66 390 4 speed caliente.at the time i knew about early small comets but i had no idea there was comets that my 390 would fit in.i had never seen the 66-67 body style before this.i later read in a article that the 66 comet-cyclone was the epitome of what a muscle car should look like.and yes they are cool,i get reminded of it every time i get it out and go somewhere in it
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Read this thread and really didn't think of it applying to me. Although I really am into my Comet I haven't been Blinded by love for any particular make or model.

But in another sense I have been blinded by my first love.......Cars! All kinds,

Try to keep it short. When I was little say 5-6 yo my grand pa had a used car lot in his back yard. He lost a leg to sugar and had to quit driving truck, so he sold cars out of his back yard. On Saturdays he would take me with him to car dealers when he was looking at their wholesale cars. He would give me a stick or screw driver and I would go to it looking for holes and damage down low and underneath for him. I had a blast, if was my job to make sure grand pa got good cars lol. On the way home he would get me some matchbox cars and such. I became fascinated with cars, when the new models came out I would get brochures and dealer promo models from the dealers we went to. I was hooked lol

Later started collecting hot wheels, and doing models. Would take parts from different cars/models and use them to modify other ones. Then go-carts, dirt bikes, etc. turned 16 got my license 3 days after I got my permit. Had some money saved and bought a 68 cougar xr7. Painted it red, put wheels on it, drove it my Jr year of high school, cool car. Sold it that summer and bought a BB 4speed 69 Roadrunner and drove it my Sr year. Sold it bought a 442 vert the next summer. Had is maybe 6 months then moved on, etc etc.

Now my Dad was in auto sales and a GM at a Lincoln Mercury dealer at that time so buying and. Selling cars seem like a good idea for me. Had some cool cars and made money on all of them.

Now the point. My love of cars obviously started young, and has lasted me ever since. But it has blinded me in the sense really haven't done much that didn't involve cars or some motorized vehicle. Went fishing once, never went hunting, golf, football, baseball or sports in general. Was always playing with cars, did a few motorcycles, the big tired 4wd thing, boats, (still have my boat) and even the hippie van stuff, But I have always loved cars, just not a certain make or model.

Every job I ever had except for news paper boy and cutting grass when I was young, has been doing something in the automotive field. Mechanic, body man, resto shops, warranty adjuster, test driver, even worked in a assembly plant. All been car stuff.

So I agree with "First Love Blinds Us" fell in love with cars as a kid and I still am!

Lou

Just wanted to add.....Comets are as cool as we think they are, .......but there is that 64 vs 65 thing........that will never get settled ..lmao.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

YEA ,the 64-65 thing is such a bum subject :shock: EVERYONE SHOULD ALREADY BE AWARE...IT'S THE 64 THAT TAKES CENTER STAGE....the 65 is mercury's 1st goof up trying to improve what is the best to start with...... :lol: :lol: :shock: :wink: .....now you 65 owners put that in your pipe and puff on it :!: :wink: :lol: :lol: and hang tight,I'll be back !! gotta go for now,,,, :P :P :P :shock: :shock: :lol: :D :wink: :wink: :wink: :!: :!: :!: 8) 8) PS chill out !! ( no cuss words) :wink: :wink: :wink: later OL POP
pop/glenda