Comet Stick Welder

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
redhotcomet

Comet Stick Welder

Post by redhotcomet »

I've been after a stick welder for awhile, in particular one of these old beasts:

Kind of neat I think.

Side

Inside top cover :

Paint is a little bit rough but it still works good! Burnt half a dozen rods with it this afternoon. Came with the long cables, a bunch of rods and a mask. Its the 235 amp model as well, most of them I've seen are 180 amp. Can't complain for $100.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

lavron
Site Admin

Re: Comet Stick Welder

Post by lavron »

Well it has the right name anyway.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

It should get along great with your car. :roll:
Jim

Loner

Post by Loner »

Had a Comet radial arm saw that we used for cutting mine timbers. It could cut a 10x10. Wonder if it was made by the same company as your welder.

Matt

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

From this website

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/de ... px?id=1995

"Sometime during the 1950s or 1960s, this firm manufactured the "Comet" bench grinder and a metal cut-off saw. The company itself, founded by Tom Smith and Clem Roles, began after World War II to sell a combined generator and welder that used war-surplus generators. They gradually expanded into other equipment useful for farmers, including drill presses and metal cut-off saws. They went into receivership during the late 1980s.

The Smith-Roles manufacturing facilities consisted of the Saskatoon factory and an adjacent foundry, known as the Blanchard Foundry. The Blanchard name was used on some of their products.

Besides their Canadian presence, they had sales office and warehouse in Minot, ND and in Wichita, KS. The North Dakota operations were already in operation when the Kansas operations were started in 1974. The American operations sold the Smith-Roles shop tools and small farm equipment: combine monitors, drill-fill augers, metal cut-off saws, tire changers and bench grinders. Smith-Roles arc welders were big sellers in Canada but were not sold in America because of import duties."

I'd say that radial arm saw would probably be made by the same outfit.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Very cool. Where's that like button?
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.