Interesting Test on Engine Fans

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

Re: Interesting Test on Engine Fans

Post by lavron »

Thanks Lou, the one issue I could see on the pictured rad is the inlet and outlets are reversed for my application.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

lavron wrote:Thanks Lou, the one issue I could see on the pictured rad is the inlet and outlets are reversed for my application.

See Ya,
Mike
Thought they may be wrong.

But if your ok with enlarging the opening this would work.

http://www.championradiators.com/product/EC138

I would think this would be a big as you could go as far as width and height without modifying the front rails. Would also loose a few mount holes for the grille and gravel shield. Could just run a brace across the front of rad support to reclaim mount holes. Wouldn't be much.

The core thickness is 1/2" more at 1.75" thick which is still pretty thin. Cutting the rad support opening to match the core size would give you additional 157sq inches frontal area over stock core, which is over a 50% increase.

More money but still not bad for the price. Also if you go down the page it gives you a list of vehicles the rad is compatible with....All Fords! So if you wanted to look for used the list may help ya.

And if any of the cars on the list came with the same size 6 cyl you could have a source for the rad hoses, since the inlet and returns would be farther away with the rad being wider.

I doubt it but something on the list may even have electric fans.

Another benefit of the wider core you could run duel fans. And even stage their operation. One turn on at certain degree other turn on at higher degree. Or one turn on at certain degree and other turn on with A/C.

Just some things to think about :)
Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Didn't think about this when I posted but if your not putting your battery in the trunk the battery mount up front may be a issue. For some reason I thought I read you were mounting it in the trunk but not sure.

Lou

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

If the batt doesn't fit in it's normal place maybe it can be rotated up agaunt the inner fender like the real early falcons instead of moving to the trunk.
Ron

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Lou's Comet wrote:For some reason I thought I read you were mounting it in the trunk but not sure.
I am going to put it in the trunk, you remembered correctly :P
Lou's Comet wrote:But if your ok with enlarging the opening this would work.
I guess I ceased working about originality a long time ago :roll: of course I want to do a neat job and not have it hacked together, look like it could of came that way - well if they had stuff like electric fans in 1964.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Lou's Comet wrote:And if any of the cars on the list came with the same size 6 cyl you could have a source for the rad hoses, since the inlet and returns would be farther away with the rad being wider.
Yep there are matching engines there, I was surprised that the Marquis and LTDs came with 4 cylinders (I probably knew that at one time) I am sure it was a high performance car :lol:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

lavron wrote: I guess I ceased working about originality a long time ago :roll: of course I want to do a neat job and not have it hacked together, look like it could of came that way - well if they had stuff like electric fans in 1964.

See Ya,
Mike
You may be able to section in the rad opening from one of the cars on the list (which may also give you the mounts or mounting points) or use one of them for a template to cut you opening.

Whatever you do, it will be awesome and not hacked. :)

Lou

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

So I am resurrecting this old post because I was thinking about getting something going soon on fitting a radiator and electric fan(s) into the Comet with limited space.

I went out and did some measuring and the radiator that Lou posted earlier looks like it will work, I found it was the same as a fox body Mustang as well as several other fox body cars from the mid 80s so if one wanted to go cheaper Rockauto sells the standard, non-all aluminum radiator for around $80 or less. I also was checking on a few fox body sites and found they were fitting Ford Contour electric fans and shrouds (all one piece) up to their cars and it looked like they fit pretty much perfect, they also say the factory Ford electric fans move more air than any of the aftermarket fans, some were getting them at the pick-n-pull for around $30 or you can get a new one (non-Ford replacement) from Rockauto for around $80.

From my calculations (without having the radiator in hand) they are short enough to sit on top or the frame rails, if they even reach them at all, and the opening would just have to be cut out a bit larger or, like Lou said, get a core support from a fox body and weld it in the center section possibly giving you the factory mounts.

I also wondered about using the factory A/C condenser if it could be installed with something like Vintage Air system, they are around $55 on Rockauto, and would maybe use the factory mounts as well. As JohnO said you would need to take into consideration the front grill support and remember the core support is a structural part of the car.

Anyway I might start looking for a Fox body in the JY to see if I couldn't get my hands on the core support from one(I would have to study up to see what all the different cars look like).

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

lavron wrote:So I am resurrecting this old post because I was thinking about getting something going soon on fitting a radiator and electric fan(s) into the Comet with limited space.

I went out and did some measuring and the radiator that Lou posted earlier looks like it will work, I found it was the same as a fox body Mustang as well as several other fox body cars from the mid 80s so if one wanted to go cheaper Rockauto sells the standard, non-all aluminum radiator for around $80 or less. I also was checking on a few fox body sites and found they were fitting Ford Contour electric fans and shrouds (all one piece) up to their cars and it looked like they fit pretty much perfect, they also say the factory Ford electric fans move more air than any of the aftermarket fans, some were getting them at the pick-n-pull for around $30 or you can get a new one (non-Ford replacement) from Rockauto for around $80.

From my calculations (without having the radiator in hand) they are short enough to sit on top or the frame rails, if they even reach them at all, and the opening would just have to be cut out a bit larger or, like Lou said, get a core support from a fox body and weld it in the center section possibly giving you the factory mounts.

I also wondered about using the factory A/C condenser if it could be installed with something like Vintage Air system, they are around $55 on Rockauto, and would maybe use the factory mounts as well. As JohnO said you would need to take into consideration the front grill support and remember the core support is a structural part of the car.

Anyway I might start looking for a Fox body in the JY to see if I couldn't get my hands on the core support from one(I would have to study up to see what all the different cars look like).

See Ya,
Mike
I have just finished updating the cooling system in my Cyclone. As you mentioned there is limited space in a Comet engine bay so careful measurements and much thought must be given to achieve results that work.
I figure that FoMoCo spent quite a bit of time and money developing the cooling systems in their cars so I wanted to stick with factory parts from Ford vehicles. The radiator I choose is a four core unit from U.S. Radiator, it was designed for a ‘67 Cougar or Mustang with a 428, the shroud is for the same vehicle. The fan and pulleys are from a ‘70 Boss 302 Mustang/Cougar. I had to trim the core support to enlarge the opening for air flow to the radiator, the upper mount is for the 428 cars, the lower mounts I fabricated using the stock rubber inserts. The lower radiator hose is from the 428 cars, the upper radiator hose has not been decided upon yet, it will depend on which thermostat housing I use. ( fitting angled forward or fitting pointing straight up. This set up should have no issues cooling my engine even in traffic, and if anything needs replacement in the future Parts should be easy to locate.
You may question my use of a mechanical fan. I have very strong thoughts about using electric fans in vehicles that were built with mechanical fans. Any one can mount an electric fan, it’s easy and relatively inexpensive, it takes thought and engineering to make a mechanical fan fit and operate, I have used a mechanical fan in all of my builds for that reason.
Jim

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”