Caliente?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
cuzimdifferent111

Caliente?

Post by cuzimdifferent111 »

Hey can someone help me out with this one. Is this a caliente? Because the VIN is pulling up a 404 2 door sedan.. I'm probably wrong but it looks like a Caliente.
Attachments
10319609-1965-mercury-comet-std-c.jpg
10319609-1965-mercury-comet-std-c.jpg (112.54 KiB) Viewed 2561 times

lavron
Site Admin

Re: Caliente?

Post by lavron »

I don't know if it is a Caliente but it is not a 404 because they were sedans (post cars)

Was the vin # from under the hood on the top of left inner fender?

Caliente's should have trim on the side as well I believe, but I can't remember what '65 trim levels looked like, someone will chime in on that.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

cuzimdifferent111

From my understanding, 202s and 404s were basically the same, just different trim levels. Both have the same appearance having the more "boxy" hardtop. one way I could normally tell the difference between the Caliente was the shape of the rear side windows. The 202 and 404 have the more "boxy" rear side window with more frame width towards the end. The Caliente has a more "slope" fastback type of rear side window, with less frame width towards end. ..lol..I'm so confused.. lol.. here is the VIN 5H11T559724

loman

Post by loman »

I would say it is either a caliente or cyclone. Calientes had trim that ran the length of the car that was about 2" wide . The installed height was the bottom of the door that ran from the rear of front wheel opening all the way to the rear bumper. A Cyclone had different trim that was installed on the rocker panel. Like Lavron said, all 404's were sedans.

Also, like Lavron said, compare your data tag on the door to the one in the engine bay on the inner fender. My guess is that they won't match. I'm guessing your door tag comes from a different car.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Something dont jive. that car is most likely a caliente hardtop since it has the belt trim. this is the chrome at the bottom of the windows. but it could be a cyclone hardtop with that trim added. but it is definitely a hardtop which doesnt match that vin. a caliente would have 23 for the 3rd & 4th digit in the vin. cyclone would be 27. the 11 in the vin you show is for a 2 dr sedan which this car is NOT. Look on the left inner fender apron, on top . should be a vin there
Johno

cuzimdifferent111

Here is an example of what I meant with the "boxy" vs "slope" rear window. @loman yes you are most likely correct with the vin#'s matching. I need to check the engine bay to see if it matches.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180228-181842.png
Screenshot_20180228-181842.png (199.65 KiB) Viewed 2543 times

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Yes the top picture is a sedan, it also has a frame around the window that is part of the door, 202 and 404 were both sedans with different trim levels just like Calientes and Cyclones were different trim levels for hardtops.

The official VIN# is under the hood not on the door, if it has a sedan VIN I would be a little concerned with it possibly being a stolen car at one time or something, which could cause a person trouble.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

It wouldn't be a Cyclone with 4 lugs. Question, is the production number the same on the title as the car? It wouldn't be impossible for that mistake to have happened but if it was, I'd stay away from it. I looked at a one owner, original titled 64 once that had a stamping error on the fender apron. The door tag matched everything on the car but the vin on the apron had the wrong engine code.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

cuzimdifferent111

Ok guys/gals I got the VIN # in the engine bay and it reads 5T236556774 this is a Mercury Comet Caliente 2-Door hardtop. This car scares me because now I'm thinking it is not a legit deal. Would the owner be able to sell this vehicle with 2 different vin#s ?

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

cuzimdifferent111 wrote:Ok guys/gals I got the VIN # in the engine bay and it reads 5T236556774 this is a Mercury Comet Caliente 2-Door hardtop. This car scares me because now I'm thinking it is not a legit deal. Would the owner be able to sell this vehicle with 2 different vin#s ?
If the title has the vin from the fender apron ''5t23*556774 then you are good. if the other vin is from the door tag that doesnt matter. I put an asterisk for the 5 digit because the 6 is wrong. it was either a T or a 2 which stands for 6 cylinder. no 6's were in the 5th digit.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Like John said, as long as the VIN matches between the fender apron and the title you are ok, the door tag is not an official VIN, you can even have new ones made, the concern would be if the title matches the door tag.

The reason it would be something fishy is the 404 was always a sedan so it would not be as simple as someone replaced the door along along the way, someone had to move the door tag off of a sedan, you can't put a sedan door on a hardtop.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

lavron wrote: you can't put a sedan door on a hardtop.
Mike according to Roy Pool a 2door sedan door is same size as a hardtop, you would just have to remove the window frame.I remember he said he & a friend did it once. but that doesnt change what you said is still true....if the title matches the door vin & not the fender apron-walk away!

There is also 2 hidden vins under the tops of the fenders & seem sealer on each of the aprons, about even with the shock towers. but you gotta take the fenders off to see them. Even Roy never found those.
Johno