"New" Welder

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

"New" Welder

Post by lavron »

I went over to my aunts today, she is getting ready to move and wanted to see if I wanted any of my uncle's stuff who recently passed away, there are actually several things I will be picking up later, one being a welder like this one;

I thought it would be good to weld thicker metal and I actually learned to weld with one of these, he has it mounted on wheels and even has an old, old welding helmet with it. I am not sure what all the differences are with these but it did have the white/ivory dial like this one.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Rocket989

Re: "New" Welder

Post by Rocket989 »

That’s awesome!! :D :lol: :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I've got my dad's old Craftsman stick welder. I haven't used it in years, though.
JIm

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Jims65cyclone wrote:I've got my dad's old Craftsman stick welder. I haven't used it in years, though.
JIm
I also have one of those and it has not been used in years,,but at the time ,wife bought it for me for a certain wedding anny gift,,it was a cat's meow....burnt many rods !!...it wasn't anything to go into a shop and find one like MIKE got from his aunt....they were very popular for their price,,best I recall at tractor supply they were around 60 dollars,,,,in the 60's and early 70's......pop
pop/glenda

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

That'll last forever! Good machines, my dad picked his up in the '70's and still going strong. Really simple but capable - you could even set it up to TIG if you want. Cool.

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

When I learned to weld it was with one of these, I don't remember there even being anything like a MIG but I am sure there were some at least being developed.

I had never even touched a MIG welder until I bought the one I have which is a small one, this one should be capable of welding thicker metal at least if I need to and do a fine job although I haven't touched one in 40 years so it may take a bit to get anything pretty (prettier :roll: )

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I was over at my aunts yesterday helping her clean out the garage and she gave me this amongst other things.

More later that I think you guys will find interesting or cool.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Cool!! If I find a Kansas tag like that I’ll toss the issue antique tag in the glove box (when I manage to actually get it open again!). Not too worried about getting stopped, etc. :D :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I inherited my dad's GA tag collection when he passed away. It's got every GA tag from 1927 to 1976, with matching doubles in the years that GA had front and rear tags. After 76 they went with multi-year tags with decals, so he quit collecting. The 1943 tag is just a 1-1/2" wide metal strip with Georgia 43 on it due to the need for steel for the war effort.
Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Smiled when I seen this thread,,, I got one too. Build date inside back cover 08/50 older than me!!!
Works great use it sparingly though.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about