9N Ford Tractor Came Home Today

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

9N Ford Tractor Came Home Today

Post by lavron »

I went over to my Aunt's today and brought home my Uncle's 9N, brush hog and blade, I was surprised the battery was still up on the old tractor and I was able to get it started and up on the trailer without much issue.

It is really in good shape for 1939 tractor, it is a three speed with a Sherman Hi-Lo shifter, so a 6 speed tractor in essence. it has been converted to alt and 12 volt already but everything except the seat, looks pretty original (well it has been painted, 9Ns were dark grey all over, no red). Has almost new rear tires. The only issue with the tractor is the brakes are kinda dodgy, or they would be if they worked, I am going to have to try and see what is wrong with them, I am guessing the shoes might just be worn out.

I parked it next to my Dad's 8N which was kinda weird, Dad and my Uncle were really close (he was my dad's cousin, married to my mom's sister) and both were about as hard core Ford guys as you could meet.

I am going to have to build a bigger shed so I can get all this stuff inside :roll: the 9N is kinda of an odd little thing, feels smaller than the 8N.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Rocket989

Re: 9N Ford Tractor Came Home Today

Post by Rocket989 »

Pair to draw to!! I like ‘em for sure! :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Like button hit.

There's a guy in town with a collection of early ford tractor's. He has an 8N I believe it is, that is 4WD.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I have my dad's 48 8N tractor. If you want to stop it you have to plan way ahead. :lol: The problem is the rear axle seals. 8Ns and 9Ns were notorious for axle seal leaks, which leaked dope onto the brake shoes. Of course, the rear mechanical brake is all they've got, so you have to stand on the pedal to make it stop. With mine, if you're on a grade, even that's not enough. Mine is down with a bad clutch right now. It's a little involved to change the clutch, since you have to split the tractor in two and completely separate the two halves from each other to get to the clutch. I haven't found (made) the time to tackle that yet. When I do, I'm going to replace the seals, shoes and turn the drums while I'm at it.
Jim

BJB

Post by BJB »

On another Ford US forum recently a gent posted a story about a relative's old Ford tractor in Wisconsin. A Falcon engine had been fitted to improve the performance for road use. It is an N series. The motor failed and it was parked.
https://imgur.com/a/ULmg6GG
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Wow, yeah, I'd say that look pretty well "parked". :lol: :lol:
Jim

BJB

Post by BJB »

Story goes that the relative got pinched for DWI and lost his licence. There was a loop hole in the law that licence losss didn't cover tractor driving so he hotted up the old Ford so he could get around at a more brisk pace....the motor didn't agree with his driving style and it quit.
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."