&)&*}#|>@@&)!!

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Rocket989

Re: &)&*}#|>@@&)!!

Post by Rocket989 »

Finally had a chance this week to finish replacing studs and re-lashing the valves—>the 5th time in a couple months... :roll:

A few were looser than I would’ve thought. Maybe I was tired of doing it the last time but pretty sure the set screws were all TIGHT & I turned it & the polylock together 1/8th turn or so on all & rechecked...dunno. I’ll check these in 100-200 miles & then hopefully not again until they need re-lashed.

Johnnie - here’s a pic of the ARP stud vs what (used) to come with their heads. ARP on the bottom & a shot of where the ARP’s are stamped.

'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Is that arp stamped on the top or bottom? I have never heard to turn both an additional 1/8th turn. seems to me that would tighten up the lash too. :? where did you hear that? :? :?
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Apparently ARP studs are all stamped at the top. The 1/8 turn is from buddy's who drag race/circle track...swear they'll come loose if you just tighten lock screw. You have to take the extra cranking into account so lash is right...get lash where you want it, back polylock off 1/8th turn, tighten lock screw, turn together 1/8 turn. Yah, it for sure makes it harder...bit like throwing darts...

If I just got the polylock in the right place & tightened the lock screw I could probably do it in 1/3 the time (or less) & not be pissed... :)

loman

Post by loman »

Rocket989 wrote:Apparently ARP studs are all stamped at the top. The 1/8 turn is from buddy's who drag race/circle track...swear they'll come loose if you just tighten lock screw. You have to take the extra cranking into account so lash is right...get lash where you want it, back polylock off 1/8th turn, tighten lock screw, turn together 1/8 turn. Yah, it for sure makes it harder...bit like throwing darts...

If I just got the polylock in the right place & tightened the lock screw I could probably do it in 1/3 the time (or less) & not be pissed... :)

Rocket, that is pretty much how I adjust mine. I'm not sure if it is a full 1/8 of a turn for me. I had same trouble at first as you. When I would have my lash set right then tighten just the polylock my lash would change. I'm assuming that is from tightening the set screw in the nut it pulls on the threads just enough and increases the lash. So I learned that while tightening the set screw, I give a little extra turn to the nut as well, not alot but just enough. Another thing, I don't remember if it was mentioned in this thread or not, but I do my final adjustment when the motor is warmed up. In my case and possibly yours, if I adjust my valves when the motor is cold the lash will be different once the motor is warm.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

For sure man...the rule of thumb for iron block/aluminum heads is .006 tighter. I set mine @ .016 & have checked a few hot & they’re right on .022. I worried a little about cracking a polylock doing the 1/8’ish turn after the set screw is tight but so far so good... Though that might have had something to do with the stud failure (still shouldn’t have happened though IMO).

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Rocket989 wrote:For sure man...the rule of thumb for iron block/aluminum heads is .006 tighter. I set mine @ .016 & have checked a few hot & they’re right on .022. I worried a little about cracking a polylock doing the 1/8’ish turn after the set screw is tight but so far so good... Though that might have had something to do with the stud failure (still shouldn’t have happened though IMO).
Yeah...Was thinking the same thing.Instead of tightening up the lock screw and turning the nut and screw together,maybe just snug up the screw,turn them together,then hold the screw and back off on the nut to get where you want to be.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Rocket989 wrote:...get lash where you want it, back polylock off 1/8th turn, tighten lock screw, turn together 1/8 turn.
yea that's the way I did but it wasn't 1/8th turn,seems more like around half that.

you have solid lifters right?
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Yup, solid flat tappet...I should’ve saved up the extra dough and gotten link-bar lifters/roller cam but alas...did not. If the timing cover ever has to come off, it’ll get done. :lol: