&)&*}#|>@@&)!!

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Rocket989

&)&*}#|>@@&)!!

Post by Rocket989 »

Took the heap to a show today with nephew...a lot of awesome Foooords (will get pics up later)! On the way home...Comet all of a sudden started running rough...blue smoke out pass side exhaust!! :shock:

The 289 has 140 miles on it... I put gloves on and yanked both valve covers fearing a cam lobe headed south. Found the intake rocker stud on #1 intake clean snapped-off (about 3/8”)...rocker was laying there... These are the studs that came in the Edelbrock RPM heads. Motor hasn’t seen north of 4K yet. I think a set of ARP studs is in order!! :lol: :roll: :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Re: &)&*}#|>@@&)!!

Post by poboyjo65 »

Sorry man. any ideas why? geometry off? binding maybe?
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Not that I can ID... I spent a lot of time on getting the geometry right - especially switching from the 1.7 to 1.6 rockers. Sweep was less than .040 and just a little towards intake manifold side.

I don’t think I Gorilla-tighted any of the poly locks but even if so I’d think the poly lock would split before snapping a stud.

I guess the earlier studs are dubious...if they’re stamped ARP GTG...if not...they’re not... I guess I’ll get a set of ARP’s and keep honing my lash time! :) :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Have you run those heads before? or are they new? I'm running same ones ,,just curious.
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Yah, I remember you’ve got the Eddy heads also. Not new, I bought ‘em used. IIRC there are three (at least) iterations of the Performer/RPM heads. 1st gen had the “eyebrows” for coolant pass...and got a bad rap for springs chewing up heads...Edelbrock shipped cups to you for free... :)

2nd gen castings are largely same as current but somewhere along the way they changed rocker studs to ARP. From what I can tell reading stuff, the reddish-purple tinged (from heat treating) studs not marked ARP have a rep for being brittle.

ARP must oxide all their stuff last...it’s always uniform black.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Took a quick pic...snapped 3/8” or so about clean off...

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Dang that looks broke near the top. the fulcrum has a flat for the locknut to land in,,,is it possible the fulcrum got flipped 180° & not enough stud threads were in the nut?
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Oh man! That ain’t cool!! :shock:
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

loman

Post by loman »

poboyjo65 wrote:Dang that looks broke near the top. the fulcrum has a flat for the locknut to land in,,,is it possible the fulcrum got flipped 180° & not enough stud threads were in the nut?
Sorry for your bad luck Rocket. I think Johno might be onto something.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Thanks fellers...I’d be surprised if I had one/any upside down but since the rocker was laying off to the side I don’t have any way to prove I didn’t!! :)

I’ll order a set of studs & check geometry, etc. again when redoing. I went from 6.9” pushrods with the 1.7 rockers to 7.050 with the 1.6’s. That seemed like a lot but I checked with the adjustable pushrod like 3 times & then with the new ones when installing.

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

How far down in the nut are the rest of your lock screws?

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

There are 4 to 5’ish threads showing on top of the set screw. I measured with caliper @ about .230 from top of set screw to top of poly lock.

Pic:

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

how big was the piece of stud that broke off? those rockers look like same as mine too,are they comp pro magnums? mine seem to have a lot of threads showing ,,,was probably like you said just brittle studs. I think I bought my heads around 2005-2006,maybe earlier, I wonder which gen they are? where is the eye brow? & where would the ARP be stamped? on the nut part of the stud maybe?
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Yup, Comp Pro Magnums. The piece that broke is probably 7/16” long...gotta find it & will measure. I need to order new studs...these look the closest to the Edelbrock studs (Link to ARP on top, Edelbrock on bottom):

ARP:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-134-7104

Edelbrock:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-8599

Shucks if the Edelbrock studs are ARP now, might as well save a few bucks. They OEM a lot of stuff...the TFS head bolt kit I used was all stamped ARP.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

After thinking about it,if it broke it doesn't matter how many threads were in it,still shouldn't have broke. & since you didnt have any stripped threads.

I think I'd be afraid I'd get the same studs (old stock) of the eddies.that would be my luck.
Johno