Buyer Beware of possible scam

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
BJB

Buyer Beware of possible scam

Post by BJB »

I'm a member of a few forums both here and with overseas origins. A gent in Florida posted in a US Ford forum a disturbing account of paying for goods that have failed to arrive. I'm posting it here to warn members to be careful when ordering parts from non commercial businesses etc, especially from a person that may have a similar name or modus-operandi

His story is that he had a '64 Falcon convertible that required numerous items to finish his restoration. He was contacted by a person from San Jose CA. The seller told him he had the parts he needed and the buyer paid 2K.

The parts haven't arrived after some 4 weeks and the worrying signs pointing to a scam are:

The seller told him that his father had amassed a HUGE collection of NOS and OEM parts from dealerships that went out of business in the CA area.
The parts were in a storage facility which has been bought by a developer for apartments and he was keen to sell the parts quickly.
After the first transaction the seller approached the buyer once more and offered other parts at heavily discounted goods, The buyer purchased these further items also.
The seller stated he didn't have access to the internet and couldn't forward photos of the parts.
Payment was made by Walmart to Walmart as the seller didn't trust cheques etc
The goods had been shipped but the truck broke down in Alabama and they were awaiting parts.
The seller's cell phone number is now disconnected.
No further communication from the seller has taken place.

Has he been scammed??? 99% sure that he has but he lives in hope that he hasn't.

I post this in that hope my Comet friends don't experience this but i believe that the buyer entered these transactions tempted by the chance of cheap prices and a need to complete the restoration.
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

vicegrip

Re: Buyer Beware of possible scam

Post by vicegrip »

So many things wrong with this. The guy should have known better.