Welding Gas

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

Welding Gas

Post by lavron »

So I ordered the regulator for my cheap welder, looking to get a bottle of gas, any suggestion on what I should look for? Never bought welding gas in my life :roll:

Of course I have to find a supplier around here.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Re: Welding Gas

Post by poboyjo65 »

I bought a short tank from napa & then swap it in when it gets empty. The tank was high, like 175 bucks , but filling was only 45 or so. 75/25 (argon co2). napa has since closed down here so I need to find another supplier.
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

I use Holston gas here in east TN. A small bottle, if you're just walking in off of the street, is around $200 initially, then $33 to refill/swap it out. Use 75/25 argon/co2 for MIG. Good luck! It'll help a lot and reduce spatter, better penetration, etc.

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

OK so finally got the gas hooked up today after piecing together some fittings to get the gas line adapted to the regulator (1/8" welder tubing to 1/4" on regulator) to say I was anything but pleased with my quick test would be an understatement.

I did not clean the metal in any way so I know it will be better when I properly prep, but happy :D with how good it welds and almost zero splatter even on dirty metal. I also had two turn the feed speed back to 4 from 5.

Now I am embarrassed by my old welds :oops:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Groover

Post by Groover »

lavron wrote:Now I am embarrassed by my old welds :oops:

See Ya,
Mike

An old art school teacher always told my kids, "never apologize when displaying your work. It was the best you could do at that time." I always remember that. Words to live by.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

See how much better it makes you feel to pass a little gas. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Groover wrote:"never apologize when displaying your work. It was the best you could do at that time."
Lucky the ones I have already done are in the trunk and under the car :P
Jims65cyclone wrote:See how much better it makes you feel to pass a little gas. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim
Well just a little, makes the world a prettier place, at least in my shed :P

In that picture I posted I was messing with the settings, the first weld was the one on upper left, I cut the edge off the picture where I started and was really pilling the bead up because I got used to moving much slower and running the feed much higher, my last weld is the top one running vertical, it may not have quite enough penetration but looks better than what I have been doing.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

StPro

Post by StPro »

I had to weld on a display rack last night . I have been welding since I was 16 and when you are out of practice it shows :oops:
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT