A new addition to the family

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Lip Ripper

A new addition to the family

Post by Lip Ripper »

I just purchased an all original 1970 240Z with 37,000 miles on her. One owner, garage kept. It hasn't moved from the garage in 8 or 10 years. The parking brake was on. I released it and still, the brakes are grabbing front and rear. We'll be winching her up on the hauler in the morning. Not Ford, not Mercury but a really cool car none the less. I am excited.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Rocket989

Re: A new addition to the family

Post by Rocket989 »

I’ll admit to liking the early Z’s!! Run best with a SBF ‘tween the fenders! :D :D Good looking little cars either way...congrats man!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

BJB

Post by BJB »

Lip Ripper wrote:I just purchased an all original 1970 240Z with 37,000 miles on her. One owner, garage kept. It hasn't moved from the garage in 8 or 10 years. The parking brake was on. I released it and still, the brakes are grabbing front and rear. We'll be winching her up on the hauler in the morning. Not Ford, not Mercury but a really cool car none the less. I am excited.

Stacey
I like watching those Barn Find, Barn Hunter shows where treasures like yours are exposed The brand doesn't matter that much just the story. So what is the story with this car? age of the owner...why low miles.....They're one of my favourite Japanese cars, and being the first of that marque it is a collectors item. Jay Leno did a story on them I beleive. You guys call them 240 Zee we call them the 240 Zed.

Bruce
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

There is a story. He got it new before going to optometry school and had kept it ever since. It has never sit out. He was retired from practice and was into motorcycles. He had a killer 1500 sq. ft. detached garage for his bikes but the Z sat in the middle of the 3 car attached garage for the better part of a decade. It needed brake work. He and his lovely wife were at their daughters baby sitting. She was awakened by a noise, he had fallen down the stairs at 2am, hit his head and died from the fall. He was 72 and in excellent health. So my wife comes home to tell me she was selling the bikes and the car. I figured that would be a good way to get my foot in the door because she was going to sell the house as well. I am a realtor so I wanted to talk about selling her home. It turns out her neighbor was also a realtor so I won't be getting that listing. Back to the Z. She had listened to a friend about their value and she wanted a lot of money for the car. I looked up what parts cost, ouch. A master cylinder, $331. Anyway, there were too many unknown's. Not running, no brakes, no clutch (hydraulic), a fuse and flasher were laying in the floor board so obviously there was an electrical issue. Tires were date coded 1991. I made her an offer for half of what she wanted and explained why. She asked if I could come up a little and I said no, I have to go with my instinct's. She said "well, I guess that'll be alright". I paid her Friday and picked it up yesterday. She asked to see it when I was done. I asked if she ever drove the car and she said of course. I said, then you will again. She said, I don't know if I can remember how to drive a clutch. I said, it's like riding a bike. She smiled and I left with the car.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

BJB

Post by BJB »

That is some story. Cheers . What I noticed about US Barn finds they are often low mileage where ours are usually twice around the clock. :shock:

So yours is a 5 speed O/D box. Well done. I would like to see pictures if the admin doesn't mind or in a PM if it is more kosher. Love the Zeds..and Zeessssss :mrgreen:

cheers

Bruce

PS check your PMs.

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

The first generation were all 4 speeds. Good lord, I just realized we have 5 cars with a clutch. I'll was her today and take some pictures.

BJB

Post by BJB »

Lip Ripper wrote:The first generation were all 4 speeds. Good lord, I just realized we have 5 cars with a clutch. I'll was her today and take some pictures.
4 speed, gotcha....I believe Australian specs were 5 speed manual and 3 speed auto. 5 cars with clutches...your left leg would be huge. :mrgreen:

Bruce

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

BJB wrote:I would like to see pictures if the admin doesn't mind
I don't mind, just keep them here, showing a car is fine, doing a build thread on one or looking for restoration advice is another, like to keep it Comet and Ford for the most part.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

IMG_0412 (270x203).jpg
IMG_0412 (270x203).jpg (72.67 KiB) Viewed 2791 times

BJB

Post by BJB »

Nice score. Nothing like some classics in the garage.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

NIce . 8)
Jim

loman

Post by loman »

Looks like a clean cool car. There's a guy who raced one of those for a while around here . He had one of those small block other manufacturers v8 motors in it. It runs mid 12's. He is a tough racer. His car is almost the same color, a pale yellow.