Electric fuel pumps (Holley Blue)

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Lip Ripper

Electric fuel pumps (Holley Blue)

Post by Lip Ripper »

The Falcon came with one when I bought it. He mounted it right in front of the fuel sender. It is gawd awful loud. Then it started leaking (most likely ethanol) so I put a kit in it. I was looking at other pumps that don't scream noise and found that this Holley Blue should be mounted vertical, not horizontal. I made a bracket this morning and I'm hoping this reduces noise. Does anyone have experience with these? Is Carter the direction to go for quiet operation? Hercko?

PS still nasty loud. Recommendations please. It is a 3/8" fuel system.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

popscomet

Re: Electric fuel pumps (Holley Blue)

Post by popscomet »

the one in RUSTY is loud,,mount it in rubber is all I can say....RUSTY is a echo chamber to start with,,,we mounted fuel pump outside just behind rear bumper pass side,,,with open headers,it's just loud when you 1st turn key on :lol: :lol: :lol: good luck,thanks STACEY...….POP
pop/glenda

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I followed what POP told you about mounting it on rubber and then I used rubber hose from pump to tank. I also installed a short piece of rubber hose from pump to hard line going to front of car. Made a world of difference.
Tom
tomb's 65

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Mine has all of the above. I ordered a carter. I've worked hard to sound deaden and insulate this build for long drives, the Holley blue has to go. Thanks all.

Stacey
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

sounds like there is going to be another nice falcon on here,along with BIGDAN'S..POP can't wait to see both...POP
pop/glenda

loman

Post by loman »

Lip Ripper wrote:Mine has all of the above. I ordered a carter. I've worked hard to sound deaden and insulate this build for long drives, the Holley blue has to go. Thanks all.

Stacey
The crew chief had the same noise issues with his cruiser car. He didn't like all the noise generated from the electric pumps. He had a Holley red and removed and went back to the factory mechanical pump.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Do they make an in tank pump for carbs or could you use an Efi in tank with an inline pressure regulated?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Loman, my engine is late enough that it doesn't have the mechanical eccentric on the cam so I need electric.

Fred, I think the in-tank pumps are all high pressure. I have a Carter P4594 coming that is said to be as quiet as they come, we'll see.

The uptick is I am really close to smelling burned rubber. The electrical and mechanicals (short of the pump replacement) are all done. I need to install the front and back glass, the headliner, and finish trimming the interior after that. I have it all here so I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. This build has taken me longer than anything else I've ever done. The 10 month wait for paint contributed to that. After this is complete I'll bring the Z back in for a new water pump and mustache bar bushings, then she'll be done. Then I have a very special Meyers Manx buggy that I'm going to build. This will be my seventh buggy since 2011 and I've got some good stuff going in to it. I have a lot of money in these three and two have to go. The Manx is a for sure sale and beyond that I could keep the Z or the Falcon but the chances of getting my money out of the Falcon are slim, so it'll likely be a permanent fixture in the stable and that's just fine by me, even though the Zee's are starting to escalate in value.

Ya'll have a great weekend. I'll be buffing stainless trim in the morning.

Stacey

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

A follow up; I installed the Carter P4594 yesterday. It is smooth and whisper quiet. It is a heavy duty pump for sure.

Stacey

loman

Post by loman »

I'm glad the new pump is quiet. I looked at that pump on Jeg's after you posted the part #. Does your pump have 1/4" inlet and outlet ports like it says on Jeg's website? In your original post you mentioned that the fuel system is 3/8". If so, do you think you will have any issues down the road?

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

The nipples are 3/8 hose. I don't know if the threads are 1/4 or 3/8 IP. Seems to me like they'd be 3/8.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

SASSY wrote:Do they make an in tank pump for carbs or could you use an Efi in tank with an inline pressure regulated?
I stumbled onto this looking through a link from another thread.
May be the answer for someone in the future.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ ... cat163.htm
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about