Engine swap

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Isiah.jones

Engine swap

Post by Isiah.jones »

So I have a 65 comet (big surprise right?) But I was planning to swap from the 200 6cyl in it to a 6cyl cummins. I have done research but I want to hear public opinion. And has some thing like this been done before?

redhotcomet

Re: Engine swap

Post by redhotcomet »

Those 2 engines are vastly different in size and weight. You'd need a very stout front end under a 6 cylinder cummins. Good luck with your swap.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Hey welcome!
Well I'm all about different and your plan is that!
As Red said in the previous post big difference.
First off does a Cummins weight more than a 460?, how much?
You will most likely be cutting a big hole in the firewall and the trans tunnel will need surgery.
If the car isn't really sound rust wise sub frame connectors should be considered.
All in all, big job! Plus car will have very little value when done,,, IMO
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Google says the dry weight is 1100 lbs! Twice as much as a 460?
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

redhotcomet wrote:Google says the dry weight is 1100 lbs! Twice as much as a 460?
The bigger problem would be size. It is almost 12" taller than a 460, and almost 10" longer than a 460, about the same width as a 460.

Compared to a 289/302 which is a snug fit. The Cummins is 17" taller, about 13" longer and about 7" wider.

Windshield would be in the way :shock: just saying.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Considering I am going with a 250 I6 in my '64 it even fits snug, folks have squeezed 300 sixes in there before however but I think it took major modifications. If I was going anything bigger in the I6 world than 250 I would go with a SBF for the power to weight ratio and it would fit even if, as Lou said, snugly.

Is the reason you want to go with the Cummins is because you have it already? You might sell it, use the funds and go with something a bit smaller.

All this is just my opinion, I guess it is your car but really plan it before you start cutting and end up with just a scrap pile. Of course I certainly prefer a Ford in a Ford product.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Maybe get the frame that the diesel comes in and set the 65 on it?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POP would go to the toilet ,take a hot rod magazine and re think the whole thing and take the 200 6cyl out and throw it away and install a SBF 4spd and a good rear gear and drive it til the cows came home...and find a buyer for the cummins or donate it to my local high school to build something more better suited for that kind of power plant...JMO... but good luck in what ever path you stumble down....POP
pop/glenda

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

My dream ride...79 F250 or 350 club cab longbox,4X4 with an early Dodge Cummins.

62Cometman

Post by 62Cometman »

Its been said in every form thus far, but those are very large engines, but to me the key thing here is the weight of the engine as stated they are over 1000 lbs which is more than twice the weight of any engine designed to go in the front of that car. First issue is just finding springs to support the weight that will fit in the stock location, but second issue is all the suspension components arent built to have twice the amount of weight put on them, and being a unibody car idk if the body / shocktower/ engine bay area would be strong enough to support it either. Im not trying to say do dont it, but i think sass has the right idea, either use the frame the engine came on or custom make a frame and swap the body onto it. Also i dont know that any Mustang II kit will be heavy duty enough for it either. Most just arent built heavy enough for it. IF you can figure out how to make it happen it would be a wicked ride. :twisted:

EDIT: i almost forgot, you also have to think about stopping all that added weight as well as turning, rack and pinon would pretty much be required.
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.

BJB

Post by BJB »

Found this vid on YT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x05jvBR08U Its 10 years old but the poster may give you some assistance.

Not a Cummins but a Perkins. If you want a diesel perhaps it maybe easier to choose a diesel engine that suits the car rather than trying to shoehorn the heavy Cummins.
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."