Arctic Vortex blues

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
CosmicComets

Arctic Vortex blues

Post by CosmicComets »

It's been a long winter already, and a long way to go! Officially -56.4 about 25 miles southeast of here yesterday morning (yes, minus fifty six, no wind). Today may be the first day in a week that we see highs above zero. Work on the Comets have slowed to a crawl, I didn't even even attempt to heat my shop this past week. Cosmic is getting new running gear front to back, hopefully ready by this spring, which should give me plenty of time, :roll: In 2013 we had to dig our RV out of a snow bank to attend the PF Gathering in June! Hope all of you are staying warm and safe! What's your weather like? Take care, Cary
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices

thrnelson

Re: Arctic Vortex blues

Post by thrnelson »

I thought we had it bad at -10 this morning. Thanks for the perspective. I got my Comet back from the body shop last weekend in the dark and still have not been able to look at it in the light to see how the color matches, just too cold to drive it out of the garage. Monday we are supposed to have highs in the 40's though.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

It's been "cold" here in SC this week with lows in the mid 20's. Things are looking up, though, with highs expected to be around 75 by Wednesday of next week. Sorry, guys. :roll: But, I'll bet poor Stacey has been really having it bad down there in frigid Florida, right Ripper? :lol:
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea poor Stacey :roll: :lol: I dont know why anyone in temps of - 56 would even bother to say .4,just go ahead & bump it on up to -57° Cary,we'll never know. :lol: Dang I cant even imagine that cold. been in the low 20s here too. in the 40s today,up in the 60s tomorrow & staying warmer for the next few days.
Johno

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

The red car has been parked in a snow drift for 3 months or so. Couple more to go...

But honestly this "arctic vortex" business has been the worst part of our winter so far. Has been (relatively) mild so far!
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Finally a reprieve from the frigid weather, a BALMY +15 today! :D My oldest son "Peps64" is home for the weekend. Plans for today are to go to Swan Lake, cut a 2'x4' hole through about 30" of ice, slide our spear house over the hole and kill a few beers, maybe a few fish too. Spring fever a few months early. :wink: Johno, the -56.4 came from the official National Weather Service temp reading, they don't round up or down! My personal indication of cold is peeing off my deck and it turns to ice crystals before it hits the snow. I will me sipping margaritas south of Trumps Wall in two weeks! :lol: Take care, Cary
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Been a mild winter sitting around the freezing mark most of the time. We get a decent snow then watch it melt for the next week has been the norm.
They're talking that it might get down into the teens F this coming week though.
So no hurry on Sassy yet, but do have another strut rod and bushing set coming from Melvin's .
After I get the frontend together on Sassy gotta get my old Suzuki ready for the summer!
Haven't ridden much since I fell off and busted myself up a couple years ago but that is going to change.
Stay warm,dry and healthy!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

comethead

Post by comethead »

I’m in the high desert hills north of LA and it’s been in the 40s and raining. Warms up to mid 60s so pretty nice.
Been watching the news about the polar weather...man!! :shock:

Stay warm amigos! I’ll be drinking a PBR and plotting my roll cage installation on the Falcon.

Joe
Last edited by comethead on Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

loman

Post by loman »

We had a couple of sub zero days in mid Missouri earlier this week. However, we had 50's today and 60's tomorrow. Like Joe said, stay warm amigos.

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

-39 C tonight. Thats -38 F. Block bustin cold!
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

This weather is screwy. Supposed to be 76 here tomorrow and 80 on Thursday. Lows those two days will be 58 and 59, respectively. It ain't normal, record highs, but I'll take it. Sorry guys.
Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Hey Red, feel for ya!
One of the main reasons we retired to southern BC, minus 8C or so tonight and that's cold here!
After working outside in Saskatchewan for 40 years I'd had enough.
Never said I learn quick, :roll:
One of my fondest memories, working for CNR in Rabbit lake on a wooden trestle bridge 1971-2. Our job that week was to tighten the bolts holding the thing together and to AXE the ice off the piles while hanging off the cross supports cause the water level had dropped and the ice was hanging off the bridge. Balmy -30F or so! :shock:
Smart as a brick I was,,, some say still am :mrgreen:
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

FRED,your bridge deal made me recall it wasn't as cold as you were,,the night the RR took me in a truck a few miles from the train yard and gave me a flash lite and a 2 way radio and had me ride a box car and watch a hot box friction bearing and was instrusted to call the engineer and stop the train if it caught on fire,,we were barely moving,,I got cold and when we went across the river on that bridge,,that thing started creaking and popping and that's when I think I started sweatin..and it being 2/3 in the morning and pitch dark didn't help any what so ever.....I just knew that bridge was going to cave in,,,,GLENDA,and my 2 small kids is all I thought about...….thanks......POP
pop/glenda