Ice and Snow

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

Ice and Snow

Post by lavron »

Another snow and ice event here, wasn't much snow but it got a nice layer of ice on top :x

Took the truck down to the highway yesterday before the ice and put it in 4WD, it only seemed to work, would kick in and out. I have been fighting this 4x4 set-up for a while now, I had one bad vacuum hub actuator so it wouldn't work, I changed both out and installed a new vacuum switch, seemed to work ok but now when I need it it won't work again. Pulling that 4x4 lever is like going to LasVegas :roll:

Went down to the highway today and did not make it back up the mountain, no 4WD at all, I left it at the bottom and walked up before I got it stuck.

I think I know what is wrong with it after a little Googling; even though it has a shift lever on the floor instead of the switch on the dash, they both supposedly still use motor to engage the transfer case (2006 F150) when I can get it back up to the house I will crawl under and see for sure, if it does I will order a new part (approx $100) looks easy enough to install if that will fix my blinky 4WD it will be worth it.

I wish there was an all manual 4X4 system for this truck but everything I read said nothing available. You have to switch front axles if you want manual so I guess I will dive in and attempt to repair this again :roll:

Anyway I hope everyone is doing well.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

redhotcomet

Re: Ice and Snow

Post by redhotcomet »

Plenty of people I know have had trouble with these vacuum hub 4x4 systems. If the vacuum lines leak, the hubs stay engaged and you end up needing a new front diff after driving that way for awhile. Terrible design in my opinion.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I made up the hill today but s[ent most of the time sideways :P I was sure if I let off it would of stopped right there. It was a little nerve wracking because the rear was wanting to slide off the drive and over the hill, I would feather the throttle occasionally and get it semi-straight and hit it again, at the top the drive was melted off and clear, I really need my 4WD to work :roll:
redhotcomet wrote:Terrible design in my opinion.
I don't like it, after a little more research and looking under the truck when I got it up here, there is no electrically solenoid under there, goes to show you don't trust everything you read on the net :roll:

I will try to get the truck up on stands this week and test to see what is going on, I am leaning towards something in that dang vacuum actuators because I can feel it shift into 4WL but the front wheel are not engaging as far as I can tell, I wish I could find manual hubs, it does not bother me to pull over and lock the hubs in myself and unlock them.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

all that works with a touch of a button is mighty nice...when it works !!….my 77 bronco and my 88 f150 has manual hubs and a stick in the floor....my only problem is forgetting to unlock the hubs after I use 4whl drive sometimes...one night I pulled my RHINO to a race about an hr's drive from home,,had to park in a very soggy wet grassy place,,about 2am after the race,loaded my rhino ,straped it down and tried to take off,just spun rear tires,,pitch dark ,,I just got out and reached down and thought I had locked the hubs in,,,,still spun rear tires,,thought the 4whl dr had gone out ,something to do with the transfer case,,,sat there for a minute,,then it hit me,,earlier that day I had used 4whl dr,,got a flashlight and sure e'nuff I had unlocked them,thinking I had locked them in,,,,,locked them in and drove right out,,,come to find out I'd been zippin down the freeway with them already locked in,,,so I try to really pay attention,,,but getting back to auto lock in,by just hitting a button,,as long as it works,,is very handy.....there's pro's and con's to all of it....good luck......there can't be much wrong ...pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Comparing new to old you might be able to tell why the 4WD was not working.

I have to take partial blame for this because when I changed the actuators out last year I noticed that hub was a bit worn but thought it would be ok, guess not :roll: there is a lot more missing teeth now, but the actuator looked fine still so I did not change it out, not really that bad of job after getting over having to pay $200 for the hub :roll:

Four wheeling again, just in time, bad weather is supposed to move in this afternoon bringing us snow, ice and freezing rain :?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

looks like the trk was doing what it was designed to do,,,,,it just didn't have anything worth while to do it with :!: :wink:
pop/glenda