SO!,, who else does this happen to?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
SASSY

SO!,, who else does this happen to?

Post by SASSY »

It appears I'll be doing some overhead door repair before Sassy goes ANYWHERE!!
Went into the garage to drop some stuff on the work bench, turned to walk out the door and just as I was exiting, out of the corner of my eye I noticed something on the trunk lid. Realizing it was drywall(sheetrock) I looked up at the ceiling thinking something came down but no. The wall mount door roll up spring let go and unwound the spring beating up the drywall.
Stood there with my jaw on the floor in silence,,, for a second then went into a 4 letter word torrent! took these pics and slammed the Fn door on the way out. I'll check for damage tomorrow.
ImageImage
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Re: SO!,, who else does this happen to?

Post by popscomet »

sounds like dampage caught with you !! pop
pop/glenda

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Have to ask. Did you install that door yourself? :) That sheet rock just doesn't seem to hold those screws. joking! But anyway,just got done fixing the son's door.New house,the screws pulled out on the spring and the opener.The contractor sunk the screws in to sheet rock and insulation.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Ya installed the door. Bracket mounted directly to the header, drywall just surrounded it.
Appears the lag bolts worked loose. The holes left by the baby lags I had in there will make a good guide for the MONSTER bolts with nuts I'll replace them with!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I've seen this quite a bit. people dont realize the force those torsion springs can have. I've installed a few of them, to me I'd rather deal with coil springs on a car,they seem less dangerous than winding one of those up. Also the other stretch type garage door springs break too. I worked at a lumber/hardware store & several guys walked in with 2 pieces of a spring in hand. some said part of the spring would stick in the wall when it broke. of course they should have had a cable run thru that type of spring to keep it from flying off if it breaks. Fred be careful when you wind that back up, make sure you have your rods in the holes good. I like a piece of tape around it for depth reference. those things can kill you!
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I too have worked with these springs, actually quite a bit and yes VERY CAUTIOUS!!! at all times ! But never any problems.
Far as I can tell it let go in the middle of the night.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I've had three torsion springs to break over the years, but I've never had one pull the bracket out of the wall! :shock: Of course, the problem is if it's a double door, especially a wooden one, whatever's in the garage is going to STAY in the garage until you fix it. Those doors are heavy without some spring help! Only had the car stuck inside one time. The other two times, I couldn't get it in, which left more room to work on it. There are many things I'd rather do, too, than torque those springs. :( After the third one, a guy told me they break because of friction between the coils, if not maintained. He said once a year I needed to run a thin trail of oil from an oil can across the top of the spring and let it sit for a few minutes before wiping off any excess. That lubricates the coils as they slide past each other. No trouble since I've been doing that, though it's only been about five years. Time will tell.
I have a single-wide garage door into my basement that has extension springs. A few years back, I was upstairs when one those cut loose. Sounded like someone ran into the house with a car! Fortunately, I had run the cable through the center of the springs, like John said, when I installed the door, so it didn't fly across the basement and tear anything up. :roll:

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Things are finally moving forward!
Got the car together, off the jack stands and moved forward, so I could get at the overhead door repair it and get the car out of the garage.
Still need a battery and insurance for some test runs.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:Still need a battery and insurance for some test runs.
Just in time for this summer.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058