Odometer Reading

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

Odometer Reading

Post by lavron »

While I was driving back from town today I was thinking about the Comet (what else?) and I was thinking about building my gauge cluster and was pondering if I could set the odometer to zero (or one of the two I have) I am sure the law is different state to state but I believe the title on an old car says mileage unknown I can't remember what mine even says without taking it down and looking at it something of 100,000+

It really is not a big deal but thought it would be nice to have it zeroed out when Comet rolls out of the shed for a new life :P obviously not trying to defraud anyone.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Re: Odometer Reading

Post by popscomet »

go for it...set it back to o..who are going to defraude? we did it on wife's 56 ford,,,I changed out speedo on my 77 bronco it had less miles on it then original,,but it worked better...besides these are old cars,,who really knows the correct mileage,,,yrs ago people would disconnect the speedo to keep milesage from showing ,,hook it back up for warrenty work.
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

The speedo on mine was broken when I bought it. Noted on the title/tag transfers "speedometer broken, mileage unknown". It sailed through with flying colors. I think it also had a check-box that I checked that said something to the effect that "speedometer is broken or has been replaced". I'd set it to zero to start its new life.

Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Well it just has a bit over 26,000 miles on it :roll: ok so it rolled over once, however you certainly can't count it correct, there was a time it did not work, and after the upgrades in the late 80's I had the 4.11 rear in it so it was clicking off faster than it should have been, maybe it balanced out :P

Yes I agree that nobody cares, when a car is 55 years old what difference does it make? I am not selling it anyway and I am pretty sure that the MII frontend, T5 and Explorer rear might tip someone off it is not original and each part has various miles on it. I guess all things considered a 126,000 mile 55 year old car would be considered low mileage, 550,000 would be an average of 10,000 miles a year :P

I will zip the lowest one back to zero, basically going to be a new car built out of old, new and refurbished parts.

Today I went down to Springfield and my buddy gave me 25# of aluminum scrap, should be plenty to cast a few intakes.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058