MUFFLERS

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
caseville cyclone

MUFFLERS

Post by caseville cyclone »

I have a small dilema,my wife says car is way too loud and I'm starting to agree with her. My son bought me a set of Mac mufflers a few years back before car was done. They sound great and loud,especially WOT. Cruising with a 4:11 gear is getting to be annoying. Thought about going with Borla or Magnaflow at $100 bucks a piece but I don't want to spend $200 bucks and end up with a little more quiet. Also looked at Walker Quiet-Flow 3 which is a Turbo style insides. 351 Cleveland with headers and h-pipe, I don't want to choke it down but then again its a street car,any trip to the dragstrip I can always open the headers. Walkers are $50 bucks a piece cheaper so I quess I should at least give them a try because I know they'll be quieter. Any suggestions on mufflers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks ,Andy.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: MUFFLERS

Post by A/FX »

caseville cyclone wrote:I have a small dilema,my wife says car is way too loud and I'm starting to agree with her. My son bought me a set of Mac mufflers a few years back before car was done. They sound great and loud,especially WOT. Cruising with a 4:11 gear is getting to be annoying. Thought about going with Borla or Magnaflow at $100 bucks a piece but I don't want to spend $200 bucks and end up with a little more quiet. Also looked at Walker Quiet-Flow 3 which is a Turbo style insides. 351 Cleveland with headers and h-pipe, I don't want to choke it down but then again its a street car,any trip to the dragstrip I can always open the headers. Walkers are $50 bucks a piece cheaper so I quess I should at least give them a try because I know they'll be quieter. Any suggestions on mufflers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks ,Andy.
Back in the day only used Walker mufflers that were replacement for OEM for a Corvair with a turbocharger. They were 2 1/2” in and out and had no packing just baffles. They were the best sounding muffler I ever used, almost zero back pressure and no drone. I would suggest you contact Walker and ask them what would be a modern equivalent to the OEM Corvair unit.
In my new build I wanted an all stainless steel system so I did quite a bit of research and came up with Vibrant brand mufflers, they are oval shaped and completely made of stainless steel. I also installed small resonators to kill any chance of the exhaust having a “school bus” sound, being the car is still under construction I will have to wait to hear what it sounds like.
Jim

Here is a photo of the Vibrant mufflers during mock up:
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

caseville cyclone

Wow thats a nice system Jim,I'll do some research on the Vibrant mufflers. Thanks Jim, Andy

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

caseville cyclone wrote:Wow thats a nice system Jim,I'll do some research on the Vibrant mufflers. Thanks Jim, Andy
Andy,
If you think the exhaust look nice now wait until I install it for the final time. The entire system is at the polishers right now, it will be a satin finish. The tubing is 2 1/2” with all mandrel bends, no clamps just flanges, and urethane/ stainless hangers. I tend to go overboard sometimes.........
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I've got flowmaster 3 chamber mufflers on 2 cars that sound great outside but no interior loud noise. My wife and I can talk to each other. I know there about $100.00 each but I sold a used set of the 2 chamber flowmasters on ebay to cut the cost of 1 set. I think I got $50.00 apiece for them.
tom
tomb's 65

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I have 2chamber flowmasters with 18in turn downs,,,20 odd yrs ago they were great,today at low rpm's they hard on the ears,,but at freeway speeds,I still like them...my wife tells me there's no need in me trying to slip in late thru the back door,,she can hear that comet a long way from home,,, 8) :wink: pop
pop/glenda

caseville cyclone

Thanks everyone for suggestions. Finally settled on a set of Borla Pro XS mufflers which made a huge improvement in sound and the best part my wife bought them for my birthday. What a difference changing from Macs to Borlas. This winter I'll add tailpipes and that should help also. I'll buy the 2 and a half inch Flowmaster tailpipe kit for a 65 Mustang and tweak them to fit my Cyclone. Crites spring relocation kit but no gas tank hanging down because of fuel cell in the trunk,hopefully it shouldn't take much to install them. Andy

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

I have flowmaster super 10's on the 65. At 62 mph in OD she settles down and you can have a conversation. Anything other than that, nope. So I just drive 62 everywhere when momma comes along :mrgreen: !

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

bigdan wrote:I have flowmaster super 10's on the 65. At 62 mph in OD she settles down and you can have a conversation. Anything other than that, nope. So I just drive 62 everywhere when momma comes along :mrgreen: !

Dan
always more then one way to skin a cat !! :shock: :D :lol: .....pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WIFE has asked lots of times,,why won't you put some music in this comet ???....told her I rather hear that 289 thru those flowmaster's,,,,and I've listen to it across many states sinch it has been built....tri y headers,,2in flowmaster's and 18in turn downs...you have a sound to me that can't be beat,,,JMO…….pop
pop/glenda