Cheap Plasma Cutter

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

Cheap Plasma Cutter

Post by lavron »

I ordered a cheap plasma cutter off of Amazon, it is supposed to be here tomorrow.

I have never used one before and not sure what to look for but this one was around $150 it is 220v only and that might not be the best but I have a 220v outlet in the shed.

I guess for the price I can't expect much but we will see if it will do what I need, mostly want to cut body metal so thinner stuff. Most reviews I have seen on the cheap plasma cutters have been overall positive. I figure I have a cheap welder (and other tools) I may as well have a cheap plasma cutter, I figure I am not using it professionally so I should be ok.

I guess I better Google around and see how to use it :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

bigdan

Re: Cheap Plasma Cutter

Post by bigdan »

Plasma cutters in general are a game changer - you'll start to wonder how you ever did without one! They're simple to use; best pointers I'll give is make sure you have a good ground, and no matter how much you want to don't drag the tip on your material. I have a small unit from northern tool and love it!

Pics ...... ?

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

could be a cat's meow,might be junk...never know til you use it,,,wife bought me a wire welder yrs ago,,was my first,,thin stuff was ok !!…..thicker was a sucky!!!,,I threw it away,,,stood there and watched it being crushed in a 65 comet 2drht...(after I pulled the 4bbl 289 4spd out)) today wish I kept the comet and crushed the mustamg...but made way more money from the stang...rather then the comet,,the only 65 I;ve ever owned.....pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Well not sure what to expect for $150 but I got it today, too late to test it and I need a plug for it, but first impression it looks like it should cost more than it did, actually a nice looking machine.

Certainly the proof will be how it performs.

Not in that picture is the ground cable, air regulator, air hose, gage, torch with lead and a bag of consumables.

I am not sure why the Chinese can't hire one person who speaks english to write the manual, or translate it, I guess so they are fun to read, here is one entry (all of them are like this);

"When long-time does not use, every two months should electrify a time, a humidity month of every two week should electrify use a time, by use own thermal row of tide."

I think I can interpret most of that, not sure what a "by use own thermal row of tide" is :roll:

I will let everyone know what I think of it, I guess having never used one I don't have much to compare too.

Row of tide to all,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Ok so the book sucks, it doesn't show what the buttons on the front of the unit even do, I know button F1 is a 2 touch or 4 touch button, I found that by googling and TIG welders use that, so I kinda understand the concept.

Button F2 says RUN and SET, I think by searching around SET just allows air through to check air quality for moisture etc..

The last button F3 I guess is either off or on, if you can't see in the picture it has a little t2 under the bracket symbol (that a t squared symbol I think) again no clue what it does.

I guess I will have to get it hooked up and just punch buttons, BTW I know the dial sets amps (20-40).

Most of the plasma cutters (cheap ones) seem to just have off-on (the switch is on back on this unit) and an amp dial, I had to buy the one with extra buttons :roll: certainly the reason for getting this one was the price ($219 - $50 off coupon - $16 in Amazon points and free shipping = $153)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Well that did not last long :roll: I hooked everything up plugged it in and couldn't get anything but a tiny spark and air out of the nozzle, boxed it back up and got the return authorization for it.

I was looking at others and think I will get one of the dual voltage 50 amp models, I found a couple right around $200, I also looked at a 35amp 110 model for $189 but not sure about it, the only thing it had going for it was it was all pre-assembled, pull it out of the the box, hook up the leads and air, plug it in, just think I would be better off getting the one like I am seeing on all the video reviews out there plus I know I can get the consumables for it.

Looks like I will be cutting with my trusty angle grinder a while longer.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

sometimes cheap is good,other times not so good :!: but I really expected it to last alittle longer then it did before you returned it... :shock: hope you get a return on your investment in a timely manner...…!!pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:hope you get a return on your investment in a timely manner.
I got it from Amazon and they will credit the money back to my account as soon as the package gets back to them.

I may have made another mistake but went ahead and ordered a different one off of eBay, a 50 amp 110/220 model for $100 more, seems to have really good reviews so there is hope, Home Depot sells the same unit and supposedly has the consumables in stock and Amazon carries them as well. I will be ok as long as my compressor can keep up :roll: I do like that it is 110 as well and comes with the plugs and adapters, I am assuming it won't cut as efficient on 110.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

I grabbed a Klutch p300i (Northern Tool) 110v a while back for another project. Works flawlessly within its limitations, was around $350 I think? Plus warranty and i picked it up local. Just a suggestion - and sometimes Northern will list discounted reconditioned units also.

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

This is the one I ordered, at least I have found reviews and videos about it, hardly any negative.
https://www.amazon.com/CUT-50-Inverter- ... way&sr=8-3

Supposedly they are a pretty supportive company, hopefully the manual will be a bit better than the last one, usually I don't care much about manuals, but having never used a plasma cutter before I need all the help I can get.

I did watch a few more videos last night and figured out what the last button was on the one I am sending back (plus having messed with it) it sets the time delay the air will blow after releasing the trigger, it is supposed to help keep the tip cool. Too bad it wouldn't work because it does have several extra features most cheap cutters don't have.

I think I will like the ability to use 110 as well as 220 with the new one and maybe the fewer features the better for me :roll: I just want to cut sheet metal :P hopefully the new will work ok.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Ok, new plasma cutter arrived late today, I took maybe 10 minutes and tested it, pretty nice cutter as it is completely assembled, just had to attach the leads and an air hose (already had a quick air coupler installed).

I just had a little piece of 18 gauge scrap about an inch wide, cut through it like nothing, scary fast :roll: will need to mess it with a bit but so far pretty impressed, I set the amps to around 40 (110v) and my air pressure was in the green zone on the gauge, I didn't even mess with it.

Anyway hopefully this will make life better, I have more consumables on the way because I will probably ruin a lot until I figure out what I am doing.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread