Safety First when Welding or Anything Else

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

Safety First when Welding or Anything Else

Post by lavron »

I was welding together the fuse box mount box (?) I have posted on my build thread. I guess I don't always take all the precautions I should, I almost always wear safety glasses and gloves (depending on what I am doing), I still get an occasional bit of grit in my eyes even wearing the glasses. Also I am going to admit I don't always wear my welding gloves but instead I wear a pair of deerskin gloves, I hate how clumsy my hands are in the welding gloves, also I have the welding apron I bought, most of the time I use it to cover something I don't want sparks to touch on the car :roll: Lastly I have a pair of leather welding sleeves I have never even taken out of the package.

So back to what I did, I was welding this box together;

I had it standing on the table (yes standing on the skinny edge) with the ground cable attached to it and I had just burned a good hot tack weld on one corner when it decided to tip over and I think just grazed my arm with the cherry hot weld when it went by, immediately took the hair off and a few layers of skin in a spot about the size of a dime (that is with the weld spot being less than the size of a pencil eraser), really did not hurt that bad and it is not a severe burn by any means, I didn't even go in and treat it but kept on working several more hours, point is it could have been worse, if I would have just been wearing my welding gloves it more than likely would have hit the cuff on the glove, the welding sleeves would have definitely protected my arm instead of resting in a drawer in an un-opened plastic bag :oops:

I guess I will be more aware now and try and wear my safety gear a little more consistently in the future.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

SASSY

Re: Safety First when Welding or Anything Else

Post by SASSY »

Learning,,, there are a couple a ways to do it,,, I have usually taken the hard route.
Example- if your gonna jack the back end of yere Comet 4 feet in the air with a Jackall
at least block the front wheels. Unless you have a spare taillight lens :roll:
As I did you may manage to stop the car from rolling all the way off the jack and busting a bunch a more stuff
but ya cant let the car go or it will roll,,, who do you call for help. Careful cause ya hav to calculate who they will tell an how hard they will laugh :lol: In my case Marilyn saved the day and I drove Sassy with a glued together tailight for years.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about