what did you do to your comet today?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: what did you do to your comet today?

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I have spent the last year or so ignoring my Comets and working on my 66 Mustang fastback. I am finally pretty much done with it and have started work on the 65 Cyclone again. I pulled the motor a while back and today pushed it on the lift and pulled the tranny and driveshaft. Next a total front suspension rebuild or Crites shock tower kit. I am not sure if I want to shoe horn the Cleveland back in between the stock shock towers again.
acomet.jpg
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Boss;NICE shop!!!I can't believe you guys can even get a 351C between the towers!!! What is up with the 64 Cyclone? ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Boss; What is up with the 64 Cyclone? ROY.
I have had it for 13 years and it is totally stock. Still has original paint but badly needs a new paint job. It is very complete but needs cleaned up, a paint job and a little interior work. I always say I will start on it next and then one of the other cars needs attention and it gets pushed aside. One day I will get it done but it may be a while.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Boss;I hear you on the pecking order for project cars!!! I have had my wagon for four years now,bodywork is mainly complete,driveline is in,but it keeps getting pushed back because the Comet drag car comes first!!! I would love to have a shop,trying to do everything in a garage sucks!!! I need to sell my home and move somewhere where I would have room for a shop and keep the garage to park the cars!! ROY.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote: I need to sell my home and move somewhere where I would have room for a shop and keep the garage to park the cars!! ROY.
Life is give and take I guess. I got my shop, house and property set up just how I wanted and now my wife has been offered a big promotion to move to Hawthorne, California. The move would not be til 2012 when the person in the position now has decided to retire. The weather sounds great but, I own businesses here and it would be hard to start over. Anyways she needs to decide before the end of the year because they want her to train and take some classes before the move. I think we will stay here but the weather is definitely a strong consideration. Is Hawthorne anywhere near you?
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Boss;Hawthorne is about 65 miles South of me,I grew up down in that area,it used to be a nice area in the 50s,60s,70s,but has become WAY over crowded!!!You will be hard pressed to find an area where you could have what you have now!Southern California is a very crowded,very congested,VERY expensive place to live!The weather is nice,very mild year around,especially in the coastal areas,which Hawthorne falls into,but at a severe cost.It is very expensive to own a business here with the insurance,and disability insurance,it has driven many employers out of California!! In my City[Camarillo]alone we have lost over 7000 jobs in the last few years,in a city of 66000,most have moved their operations out of state.I'm not trying to talk you out of moving here but I think you should at least come out and check out the area,it is in Los Angeles County in an area known as the South Bay,very close to Los Angeles International Airport.Commuting to work is a hassel,public transportation is a bad joke,it can take more than TWO hours to go 60 miles!!! ROY.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Boss;Hawthorne is about 65 miles South of me,I grew up down in that area,it used to be a nice area in the 50s,60s,70s,but has become WAY over crowded!!!You will be hard pressed to find an area where you could have what you have now!Southern California is a very crowded,very congested,VERY expensive place to live!The weather is nice,very mild year around,especially in the coastal areas,which Hawthorne falls into,but at a severe cost.It is very expensive to own a business here with the insurance,and disability insurance,it has driven many employers out of California!! In my City[Camarillo]alone we have lost over 7000 jobs in the last few years,in a city of 66000,most have moved their operations out of state.I'm not trying to talk you out of moving here but I think you should at least come out and check out the area,it is in Los Angeles County in an area known as the South Bay,very close to Los Angeles International Airport.Commuting to work is a hassel,public transportation is a bad joke,it can take more than TWO hours to go 60 miles!!! ROY.
Thanks Roy I appreciate all the info, but like I said it is unlikely we will make the move. We are planning a trip out to check out the area and keep all our options open.
Larry

b.guggenmos

Post by b.guggenmos »

Boss/Cyclone. Are you still going to use the Cleveland? I hope so. It is nostalgic. I have visions of doing one more cleveland in 408 stroker form but I have no time table on doing it. I am just collecting a few parts. It really is hard not to do a 347 small block becuase they run so good and fit. When my headers turn to dust I have no idea what I will do. By the way. Where did you get your headers? Good luck with your work. Brian
1965 Comet Cyclone Drag Car Aquamarine, 351C, 4 speed, 5:14, ladder bars, 10.50@129mph
1965 Falcon Tube Chassis Drag Car, 347, Jerico, 4 Link 9.?
1970 Boss 302 Yellow, Deluxe Interior, Shaker, Slats, 4:30 Drag Pac
1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

b.guggenmos wrote:Boss/Cyclone. Are you still going to use the Cleveland? I hope so. It is nostalgic. I have visions of doing one more Cleveland in 408 stroker form but I have no time table on doing it. I am just collecting a few parts. It really is hard not to do a 347 small block because they run so good and fit. When my headers turn to dust I have no idea what I will do. By the way. Where did you get your headers? Good luck with your work. Brian

I think I am going to freshen up the Cleveland and put it back in. I knocked around the idea using the 427 side oiler I have had laying in the barn for years now but the Cleveland just sounds easier and cheaper. My headers are from Total Performance in Clinton Township, Michigan. The guy who runs the shop is John Vermeersch, the guy who used to run Ford Racing Parts hotline. I bought them in 1994 and I am not sure if they even make them anymore. I also fear the day my headers turn to dust, maybe I should get them coated while they are still in decent shape. I am glad you have gotten your car to the track recently, it is scaring how similar our cars are. 8)
Larry

b.guggenmos

Post by b.guggenmos »

I looked up Total Performance that you mentioned and they don't have a website but they have a phone number. Maybe I will give them a call? Do you happen to know what size the tubes are?
And yes the similarities are kind of scary. I don't have a Shelby but the Boss 302 is in the same family sort of. Of course the two Comets and then a 32 Ford 5 window coupe.
I had the oppurtunity to buy a 1968 GT 500KR 4 speed car in the mid 80's for $5000.00. It was in a basement and neede some work and I thought that was to much money. That tells you how smart I am! I could have amde a few bucks on that one. The guy who bought is a jerk who added a/c and claims it was factory. I questioned him at a car show once and told him I had looked at the car in the very same basement he pulled it out of and it did not have a/c. He was not very happy with my comments. I hate it when people fake things. Brian
1965 Comet Cyclone Drag Car Aquamarine, 351C, 4 speed, 5:14, ladder bars, 10.50@129mph
1965 Falcon Tube Chassis Drag Car, 347, Jerico, 4 Link 9.?
1970 Boss 302 Yellow, Deluxe Interior, Shaker, Slats, 4:30 Drag Pac
1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe

64 289

Post by 64 289 »

stuck some new wheels on the front and quite like the look.
Attachments
comet1 033 (855 x 642).jpg
comet1 033 (855 x 642).jpg (102.47 KiB) Viewed 5650 times
comet1 031 (855 x 642).jpg
comet1 031 (855 x 642).jpg (131.1 KiB) Viewed 5658 times
comet1 020 (855 x 642).jpg
comet1 020 (855 x 642).jpg (189.49 KiB) Viewed 5648 times
Only push bikes and mobility scooters have two pedals

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

64 289;looks good.Your Comet looks like it is a solid car!! ROY.

64 289

Post by 64 289 »

Yeh thanks Roy. The car is super solid and has never been painted or messed with. I have looked everywhere and there is no rot anywhere. Hard to know what to do with it as in should i paint it or just leave it?
Only push bikes and mobility scooters have two pedals

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

That 64 looks great, I like the front rims. Alum fronts and steelies on the back always look good(FX style). :mrgreen:
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

64 289;that is a tough call,but it is YOUR Comet so my thought is to do to it whatever makes you enjoy it!!! I noticed you glass hood is bowed,I hope you are not running stock hood springs as they will break the hood! ROY.