what did you do to your comet today?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
poboyjo65

Re: what did you do to your comet today?

Post by poboyjo65 »

yea trial & error is best way. If it was me my first try would be to put the 20° limiters in & dial it up to 16° idling. & drive it some see how it does.
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

With the vacuum disconnected and plugged, the total advance will be the sum of the idle advance plus the mechanical advance, right?

That's right, but the easiest way is just reading the balancer (provided it is marked or has a timing tape that goes up high enough) and see what it peaks at.

46 total with no load and vacuum advance connected is pretty typical...even low 50's.

Here are the optimal timing references...the first is the write-up, the 2nd the chart. Great info IMO.

http://www.efidynotuning.com/saftot.htm

http://www.efidynotuning.com/mbt.htm
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Thanks Rocket!
Jim

Maxine and Me

Post by Maxine and Me »

Finally made it to California! "Maxine the Merc" and family made it all the way from Tulsa, Oklahoma to San Bernardino, California as part of our family Route 66 trip over the last 5 days. Tomorrow, we're all traveling to the Santa Monica Pier, so if any of you live out around that area, keep an eye out for a turquoise-and-white '64 4-door Comet, a satin black '49 Chevy 5-window pickup, and a rusty '54 Dodge milk truck.

I was going to try doing a sort of daily blog about my trip, but we keep getting to the motels so late that I barely have any time to copy my photos and videos to my external hard drives. I'm thinking about starting a thread chronicling my family's whole trip when I get back home around June 3. Would that be something to put under "Showing Off," or "Comet Lounge?"

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

A thread is a great idea! I don't know if it makes much difference, topic wise, if you put it in Showing Off or the Lounge. Newbies stumbling up on the website for the first time might look through showing off for pictures before they would the Lounge, but that's just my opinion. We saw a bit of Route 66 when we were in Albuquerque, NM a couple of weeks ago. I'll bet you've had a great trip, and hopefully the cars have run well.
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

M&M the comet lounge might not be the best place for a thread,,,it may get lost or buried too deep to find later on. ''showing off'' is ok,,,, but IMO the best place for build threads or progress thread is in the proper year section,in your case would be the ''64-65 comet'' section.

yea give us a run down if you dont mind ,about your trip, after you get back home where you can show us pics & it's easier to explain them better.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

My only advisement is being careful in things like build threads etc in showing too much non-Comet/Ford brands and the like, the only place that sort of thing is allowed is in the Lounge where we are allowed to talk about pretty much anything.

As Roy used to remind us all, from time to time, this is a Mercury Comet forum so that needs to remain our focus. I don't say this to offend anyone and it is not to say we don't appreciate different brands (well unless you bleed Ford blue, and if I do at all I inherited it and I can't help it)

That is all I have to say on that subject, but I think like most here I would love to see picts of your trip as well, it does my heart good to think about an old Comet traveling almost half way across the U.S. under it's own power, something I aspire too.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

BJB

Post by BJB »

Time to spruce up the front end. New springs ,UPC, LCA, ( with ball joints) strut bushings and LCA bolts. Tie rod and idler arm mod ( bearings than bushes)

Considering the Shelby Drop as well.

https://imgur.com/a/1s0ZQV1
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

Insured my comet and went for a short drive. 8)
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

Well not today but yesterday drove it over 500 miles with only stops for fuel and a late lunch trouble free, returning from the 500 miles up to the Gathering on Tuesday/Wednesday.
Careful your character's showing!

BJB

Post by BJB »

BJB wrote:Time to spruce up the front end. New springs ,UPC, LCA, ( with ball joints) strut bushings and LCA bolts. Tie rod and idler arm mod ( bearings than bushes)

Considering the Shelby Drop as well.

https://imgur.com/a/1s0ZQV1
Started to disassemble the front end...shocks were tired. Next big job is removing the springs. Not looking forward to that.
https://imgur.com/3ZEtANw
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

hooked up the boler and headed up the Creston/Salmo pass as a test
for our upcoming trip to the Penticton Beach Cruise, leaving on wed.
everything went well.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

after a long time being parked inside the garage ,Saturday we found out why it wouldn't start,the pick up in the MSD dist was bad,I put all this MSD IGN on my ol red ride way back in the middle or earlier 90's...it has traveled many miles trouble free...so I'm not complaining,,,and it went out in the garage,,,so the ol comet still has my best interest in mind ! :lol: ..yesterday I noticed the fan belt had a bad place,so today I replaced it.got to inspecting the old one ,,,that dang thing was as dry as gun powder in a 12 ga shot gun shell :shock: ...but it's all ..all right now,,,just got back from a spin around the country side...it did just like it always done,,GREAT !! 8) got many thumbs up and waves,,,, :D was startin to feel guilty cause it was being neglected,,,but we spent so much time on the rusty relic trying to get it ready for the gathering,,we had no choice....but it is all behind us now...we will be getting back on rusty soon,,,,just taking a break and enjoying time with this grt grd son......thanks to all and stay 8) 8) ………..pop
pop/glenda

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I started replacing rocker studs last night. Forgot to turn AC on before I left for work so didn’t get far...too much sweat running...well, everywhere...! :lol:

It’d be far easier if I could just lock the set screw on the poly lock, but the consensus to turn the lock & screw together an 1/8 turn or so after the set screw is tight makes it a guessing game to keep your lash nunber... PITA but those suckers stay tight!! :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

ran around in the ol red ride today,found a station that sell enthanol free gas,,so I put 10 gals in it,,,got to noticeing the temp needle was just a tad higher then normal,,about the width of the needle,,,I have driven this comet for so many yrs and so many miles,,that I know when something ain't kosher !!when I pulled up in front of the shop and got out to open up a door ,I happen to see water dripping,,,the dang heater core I put in it way over 20 yrs ago was leaking,,pass carpet was wet...so know I have another job to do on it,,but at least I found out why it was getting warmer ,,,it was low on coolant !!…...I by passed the heater for now ..will change it out when I have more time ,,dang sure before cold weather sets in..... the 1st job is to dry the carpet before it sours and starts to smell :shock: :wink: ….pop
pop/glenda