what did you do to your comet today?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

Re: what did you do to your comet today?

Post by lavron »

Because I hardly ever originate a post here :roll: took the extra 3rd sleeve pulley for the 250 harmonic balancer out of vinegar, brushed it, metal prepped, and painted it. The harmonic balancer got de-greased in some Purple Power, rinsed and went into the vinegar bucket until tomorrow.

I don't have plans to use the 3rd sleeve pulley at this time but thought I would get it cleaned up and stowed away never know what I might need in the future.

Been looking at the piston thing still, I am thinking about a set of Aussie 250 dished pistons (they have a slightly higher pin hight distance) and decking the block just a bit and using my current con rods that are forged. I can get the Aussie pistons for $130 or $150 a set, just need to figure which rings I need, maybe regular 250 ones.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

pro64

Post by pro64 »

I fired up the 64 just to listen to the 3 inch pipes sing, and I must say singing it was.I figured this would be a good time to back her out of garage and power wash the floor.This block sanding body panels sure is dusty, looking forward to the point I get to wet sand the car ( less dust) :!: 8)

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

Started on finishing new interior. Removed old wind lace clips and installed new ones. Installed new wind lace. Installed new fuzzies on upper trim and put in car. Installed water shield and new door panel,new window crank and new armrest. One side done. Andy

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

After prepping the motor for removal I discovered the block has 5 freeze plugs and if I remember correctly that makes it a 200 with 7 main bearings. Makes my search for a 200 much easier. Now just tear it down and prep for rebuild. Let the fun begin. :)

Motor out

Surprisingly clean

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Nice, hang on to those rockers those are the ones too have.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

tntrash

Post by tntrash »

Finally got the Comet back on the road after the gas leak fiasco at the comet gathering. Bought a new gas tank off ebay. Seems to be well made and bolted right in. Hated paying $300 for a made in taiwan but that is all that is available. Drove it to the local cruise in last night and had lots of lookers and "is it for sale?"

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

Well fiddle sticks, after tearing down the Comet motor I found a rare bird indeed. It has 5 freeze plugs so I assumed it was a 200 with 7 main bearings. When I pulled the pan I discovered it had 4 main bearings. OK, no big deal. I just drug my 65 Ranchero parts car I bought in case I needed anything for my 64 Ranchero and put it on the lift and found it has a casting code C5DE 6015H which I think is a 200 as it too has 5 freeze plugs and I hope has 7 main bearings.

Maybe Lavron will chime in and let me know if it has 7 main bearings or not.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

A C5DE-H is a 7 main, 5 plug 200.

What is the casting code on the other engine, it might be an early 4 main 200.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

C4DE 6515A, the A indicates a first generation, and it is a 4 main 200 with 5 freeze plugs. I think it is a rare bird, most folks I talked to said if it has 5 freeze plugs it is a 200 with 7 main bearings but the one in the 202 is a 200 only has 4 mains. Classic inlines web site says it should only have 3 freeze plugs. Well if nothing else it will make a good trot line weight.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

MY mom's younger brother bought a brand new 64 comet 202 6cyl AT,,,,he has told me several times thru the years,he had to have the engine rebuilt ,and the shop said it was not the engine that they were expecting to find in a cheap 202 1964 comet.....but he can't remember what they said,,,( he's the type that knows where the gas goes and which key on the key ring starts it) but he's still around ,so's I might go over and pick his mind and try to find out more what the repair shop told him...pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

gmsnowball wrote:C4DE 6515A, the A indicates a first generation, and it is a 4 main 200 with 5 freeze plugs
Yep an early 200 4 main, not sure on the 5 freeze plugs but evidently that is how they came, most would identify it as a 7 main 200 myself included, I think those are '63-'64 Fairlane engines.

It sounds like you have a good 7 main engine to use.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Boatmangc

Post by Boatmangc »

Worked out the E Brake cables for the rear disc conversion, painted the calipers to match the new wheels on their way, painted all the backing plates gloss black and all the rotor hats and rotor edges chassis black, changed the battery cables, drained the torque converter, beat all the wheel studs out sothe new ones can be installed. Wow were they short! Barely 3/8" thread engagement with the Torq Thrusts installed, no bueno!!
Then did the first round of scrubbing 50 years of crud from the undercarriage prepping for the HDS coating chassis black coating kit.
I am amazed at just how little rust is on this baby. My floor pans actually shine after the first wash.
I believe I am just going to treat the surface rust and use the chassis black on the treated areas only. There are still chalk marks in the fender wells.

Also found there os a few pieces of weather stripping missing in the front fender wells, up by headlights and by the firewall. More to search for.
1967 Caliente Hardtop Small Block
Factory A/C
Factory Front discs
Factory AM/FM

Goader190

Post by Goader190 »

So thanks to good o Harvey i haven't been able to go to the airport to work so i did the next big thing I worked on the old comet. Tear down still in progress I have been ripping the front suspension out only thing left now is the steering box I am feeling very venturous and am thinking of going with a crown vic front suspension lots of cutting but what the hell why not
65 Comet Caliente plans for heavy mods

loman

Post by loman »

I just got done mounting a new set of 31x13x15 slicks. I'll let them sit overnight and see if they leak down tomorrow. If all is good, I'll balance them.

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i have been noticing my 428 idling a little rough.i set the air fuel with my vac guage,set the accelerator pumps and the float levels on my 850dp,and it sounds much better.ready for a country ride
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute