Knockoffs and Imitations

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
alans 64

Knockoffs and Imitations

Post by alans 64 »

here's an interesting article from ford muscle about off shore parts. guess you get what you pay for. might have been around before but still in effect today.

alan

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006 ... orsCorner/
64 Caliente 2 dr ht A/FX sold to a fellow forum member
http://www.picturetrail.com/alanan55 past & present rides
40 ford coupe sold 1979 found in garage sitting for 34 years back home again.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: Knockoffs and Imitations

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Alan;I've heard stories of guys buying the aluminum heads and having the valve seats come loose! Luckily the word is getting out about these rip offs and their problems. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

When I built the 347 in my 66 Mustang fastback I almost bought some of those cheap heads. The low price was tempting. After some thought I decided the risk was not worth it and went with Ford Motorsports Z head and have not regretted it. The thought of a cheap valve spring, valve, retainer, or I guess now I have to ad valve seat failing got to me. I just decided the potential damage/ work/ cost for new gaskets etc was not worth it. Anyway after 3 years 9000 miles and around 100 quarter mile passes later I am glad I made the choice I did.

Please indulge me with a pic from Milan dragway. Fred taught me that there is never a bad time for a picture.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

That's what the lounge is for,,,,,,,that off topic stuff!
Actually the early fastback is one of my all time favs
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Boss;at least it is a Ford,and Fred's favorite color!!! ROY.

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

I was studying a set of those cheap imported heads at a show and noticed the tips of the valves were all at different heights. That was all i needed to see. I'm running Edelbrock now, but i'm planning to upgrade to a set od AFR 225's. Can't wait! Just wish i had more room for headers. Damn shock towers. I knew i should have put a rack in my 63.
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
1964 Fairlane 2 door sedan T-Bolt Clone
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Another knock off I saw were rocker arms and adjusters,the allen wrench holes in the adjusters were all in different locations instead of being centered!!The holes in the rockers for the adjusters had some drilled and tapped at an angles!!! ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

I have a set in my Comet I think (CNC machine on E-bay) the castings on mine are ok (may have gotten lucky) . I had to put ARP studs in to stop the stud breakage and I replaced all the valve spring parts after a spring broke. Luckely the spring broke a block from the house at almost idle or I would have been replacing a bunch of motor parts! I wouldn't recomend them.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Boss;at least it is a Ford,and Fred's favorite color!!! ROY.
It is an original red with red pony interior. The red interior limited my choices of exterior colors. I thought about black but I did not think the body was straight enough so just redid the red.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry