HELP!!!! ME PLEASE!!

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
toadskins

HELP!!!! ME PLEASE!!

Post by toadskins »

I have a 68 comet 289 hipo and i am restoring it very slowly...I have a vibration some where. I have replaced the harmonic dapner but still have vibration..Put new tranny and flex plate in too..Still Have vibration and got worse... Willing to try anything...Thankx toadskins

KULTULZ

Post by KULTULZ »

The 289 HIPO was not offered in 1968. There was a running change from the 289 (standard) to the new 302.

-THE 289 HIPO-

Scroll down the page and read the dampener and counterweight entries. It sounds like you may have mixed components causing the vibration.
MEL DIVISION- MERC - EDSEL- LINC

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Toad, any luck on your vibration problem?

Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

cyclone67

Post by cyclone67 »

tear it down and have the rotating assembly ballanced ,and check to see if the converter has tossed a balance wieght
Wade ``MERC MAN`` Robertson

supercomet

Post by supercomet »

i had that issue when i did my 302. do you have the proper torque converter. the ballance of the torque converter may be off and that will cause a wicked vibration.
Drew Wanzer
"I love the smell of roasting tires in the morning"

supercomet

Post by supercomet »

did you find/fix the problem. fill us in so that if anyone has the same problem they will know where to start looking. new antidotes are always a good thing. every car is different and usually has a unique problem. you could help someone else or let us know if one of our fixes helped you.

Drew
Drew Wanzer

cyclone67

Post by cyclone67 »

check the casting codes on your rods and pistons a different code could result in some serious wieght issues
Wade ``MERC MAN`` Robertson

cyclone65

Post by cyclone65 »

Just a thought, I don't know if you have a vibration while the car is in motion or not, but if it is, I knew a guy that had a street rod that had a nasty vibration.... he replaced everything and found out he had the pinon set at the wrong angle. I hope this helps. Good Luck!

supercomet

Post by supercomet »

good point, forgot about that. mine was only at Idle and that was the converter.
Drew Wanzer