NSS engine rules

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

NSS engine rules

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

My 65 Cyclone has not run in over a year and as I started tearing into my Cleveland I considered making my car a NSS legal drag car. I have had a 1967 427 sitting in the corner of my barn for more than a decade and thought about getting a Crites kit and putting it in. So when I was reading the NSS rules my car seems to fit in all the rules, but the engine rules is the one question I have. Here is how the rule reads.

http://www.nssracing.com/422-nss-rules/
ENGINE
Must be same year, make and family as body. There is no displacement limit.
Any internal engine modifications are allowed.
I assume my 67 427 would be fine. No one is going to say that is the wrong year motor right? This may sound like a dumb question, just want to be sure before I start this project. I may need a new screen name. :wink:
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: NSS engine rules

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Boss;YES,your 67 date coded 427 FE will be fine.Mainly they are after keeping the engine family[FEs]correct for the N/SS body style.That is something I have wanted to do to my Comet since I went on tour in 2004 and got to be around those cars.I could not race with them as my Comet has a small block,even though it was quicker than a lot of the traditional powered cars.You also are only allowed a back half chassis ,10.5W slicks,and no electronics.I wish we could get a series out West,the A/FX group we do have has such loose rules,changes depending on car count,and the promoters mood,that it is not worth it to me ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I figured, thanks Roy. My car has no electronics, ladder bars, I will need to get some smaller 10.5 slicks though.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Boss;they can be 10.5Ws which are fairly large!! Mercuryjunkie[Ken]is headed to Bowling Green for the NHRR to run his 64 Comet[Ronnie Sox tribute]in N/SS.Your ladder bar rear suspension is OK,you also need stock type front suspension,and all NHRA safety for the ETs you run. I really like that class,N/SS ROCKS!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals