1966 Comet

The Big Comets
Caveman49

1966 Comet

Post by Caveman49 »

I guess it would be better to post progress on my daughter's 66 here instead of the new guy thread.

First off, it has 2 to many doors, but my daughter loves the car so I'll continue getting it road worthy and safe for her to drive.
I've changed the whole front suspension with new parts, converted the front drum to disk, put all new brakes, brake lines and shocks on it.

I picked up some rims and tires off of a 07 Mustang GT, and had to get wheel spacers so they would work. I'm pretty sure the spacers are safe to use, but the tires in the front are rubbing on the inner frame when I turn sharp. The tires are 235/55/17, and tuck good in the rear. I'm hoping I can size down on the rims in front to prevent the rub. If all else fails, I'll go to a smaller rim and tire.

We have to get it aligned after I get the tire situation fixed, then fine tune it. I installed an Edelbrock 500cfm with a manifold and headers, upgraded the ignition.

I pulled it out of my shop today, this is what it's looking like.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Lip Ripper

Re: 1966 Comet

Post by Lip Ripper »

I never would've thought those wheels would look good on there but they do.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Thanks Lip Ripper. I'd like to lower the front an inch or two, but am concerned about rubbing. By the way, that's sure a nice ride you have there.

Motor Safe,
Lee
Motor Safe,
Lee

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

those whls look great..pop
pop/glenda

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Thanks Pop. I would have loved to find a set like you're sportin, but couldn't find any within a reasonable range that would fit. The rims need to fit over the disk brakes in the front, and the stock rims were out of the question. The seller said 15's would work, but I think they'd be real close. I got a great deal on these, and am gonna try a smaller tire in the front to see if it'll eliminate the rub problem. I'm always looking though :)

Motor Safe,
Lee
Motor Safe,
Lee

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

LEE,to me those whls fit like a glove when it comes to looks,and JMO,it's cause they are on a 4door ride !!!In our younger days ,a 4 door was a UN COOL car..but todays younger drivers love them,they really don't care how many doors as long as the music box is loud and has plenty of BASS :lol: 8) :lol: .......POP
pop/glenda

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Sad to say, I'm gonna have to sell the wheels, getting too much rub on the inside against the sub-frame, damn. I've tried to go to a 215/55/17, even put an old Honda Accord rim (that actually fit) on it, 205/70/16, still go rub. I'll need to get rims with the correct backspacing, that's got to be it. I thought the spacers would to the trick, but didn't work. I want to get this thing on the road :(

I posted them on our CL, we'll see if I get any takers for the rims, tires, and spacers...

Motor Safe,
Lee
Motor Safe,
Lee

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Well we sold the 17" rims n tires and finally got some 15s on it, they work much better.
Now a question (I've researched the forums but am not sure I found a fix):
I'm getting gas in the oil, enough to smell it and thin the oil out, and concerned about ruining the engine. I've put a new Edelbrock manifold and 500 cfm carb on it, new fuel pump, plugs, wires, pertronix ignition setup, and I've changed the oil several times along with a new filter each time.
I haven't flushed the tank, maybe old gas still in it? Could be the fuel pressure? Don't have a pressure gauge on it... When it sits up for several days it's hard to start, have to pump it multiple times, maybe causing raw gas to get through. I've just re-torqued the manifold bolts and am waiting for some new oil filters to arrive, then I'll try some fresh oil again.
The 289 engine runs great, compression is good, only 65k on it. I've somewhat run out of ideas, any ideas or thoughts on a possible problem area? Appreciate any help or input you folks might have.
Thanks, and motor safe!
Lee
Last edited by Caveman49 on Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motor Safe,
Lee

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

May be floats sticking, &/or trash on the needle/seat. Rap on the carb bowls with a screwdriver handle. You may need to set the float,tells how in the manual & it's online if you lost it. it's easy.

The wheels look great! I like em better than the big ones! :D I think that car would look right at home next to Pugs' comet! :D
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I've got 2 500's on my 289,if you don't start it every couple of days you have to pump the pedal,every edelbr carb I own is the same way,AS I never have a choke on none of them,,,my bone stock 77 bronco(302) had a edelbrk on it,it was the same way,,then I put on a 390 cfm 4bbl holley and it can set for weeks and pump it one time and it fires right up,and I have also dis-abled the choke on it....are you sure gas is not leaking into the crankcase from the fuel pump,,OLD gas in the tank and the tank needing flushed ain't got nothing to do with gas in the oil...how does it run after started,does it act flooded,does it run like to much gas is being dumped at idle? IF it does any or all the above does it clear up?? POP...................the 17's looked good but the 15's look better.....
pop/glenda

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Pop said this in his post but I'm going to second it and make it plane, FUEL PUMP! The diaphragm has a hole in it leaking the gas into the crank case change it immediately if not sooner.

My 2 cents
Ant

By the way car looks good with the 15"

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I know you said you installed a new fuel pump, but my first thought was like Ant's....fuel pump. If there's a hole or tear in the diaphram, it will leak gas straight into the crankcase. Did you have a problem with gas in the oil before you installed the fuel pump and all the other stuff? If not, you may want to reinstall the old pump if it was working OK and see if the problem goes away.
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

When one of my edelbrocks was new ,floats were sticking or something & I kept getting gas in the oil, not a giant amount but enough to smell it strong on the dipstick. It finally quit doing it after 2-3 oil changes & a lot of whacks to the carb with a screw driver . I dont know if it was doing it at idle or when .
Johno

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Hey guys thanks for the input. It did the same thing with the old fuel pump, not sure it's the pump, but may change it out again, can't hurt. I know just because it is new doesn't mean it's good.... Also, Pop you may be on to something, I have to pump the pedal multiple times (a lot :shock: ) to fire it up after it sits for days. But once it's started, it runs good, idles good, and holds good oil pressure. I was thinking all that pumping may be shooting raw gas down into the oil.

I was also thinking maybe the tank is trashed because it sat so long before I bought it, and there was a small hole in the top of the tank I patched. Might drain it or just change it out, donno, just want it right for my daughter.

Thanks again all for the input, you guys are very helpful, confirms some of what I was thinking :D
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Motor Safe,
Lee
Motor Safe,
Lee

1966comet

Post by 1966comet »

This is an old thread but mine sat for a long time too. Finally replaced the tank and fuel sender, it was a mess. Runs great now with no problems. I highly recommend replacing a tank and sender and fuel lines. Start fresh. Worked for me.