Sounds When The Radio's Off

The Big Comets
Maine Pilot

Sounds When The Radio's Off

Post by Maine Pilot »

For a change, I've been driving my '66 Comet without the radio on. It's amazing to hear a lot of car sounds the music drowns out. One of the sounds seems to be coming from the gas tank.

I always back into my garage as I like to leave the driveway in a forward direction for better visibility as the driveway is at a blind bend in the street and I've come close to getting hit by traffic that's going to fast. Because of the tightness in room in the garage I have to brake and adjust the steering to avoid things. When I do this, I can hear the sloshing of fuel going back and forth in the tank. As far as I know, the gas tank is original.

My question is: should there be any baffles within the gas tank to minimize this sloshing or do they all do this and the absence of the radio normally covers this noise? I don't hear this sound on my more modern cars, so do they have tank baffles?
My wife says I only have 2 faults. I don't listen...and something else

fryedaddy

Re: Sounds When The Radio's Off

Post by fryedaddy »

my engine is too loud to hear gas sloshing in my 66, but i know what you mean by strange noises.right now i dont have a radio in my comet but thats the next thing im going to install because i need to drowned out some of those strange noises.lol.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

comethead

Post by comethead »

The old tanks aren't baffled. They will slosh around.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

the more gas you keep in it the less it will slosh :shock: :roll: :wink: that may or not be true,JMO but it sure sounded good ,HUH :?: or maybe it won't slosh as loud.......pop
pop/glenda

Groover

Post by Groover »

My 64 tank is original and it sloshes.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

It sloshs in my 64 also and it realy sloshs in my 1966 pu,cause the tank is right behind the seat and that makes it louder. as far as a radio,ME personaly,I'd rather listen to the engine,,,care less about a radio,but thats just me ...pop
pop/glenda

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i use the radio to take care of the weird noises,but it dont drown out my engine.im like you pop,i love the engine sound, i really like it now that i have a much more powerful engine.when im turning 7 grand i dont hear no radio!
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i hate being a bragger but my new 433 fe sounds so good at wot,i dont know of a more satisfying sound period!!!
fryedaddy

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

When I redone my comet back in the 90's ,the radio speaker was bad,I took it out and never replaced it,have driven the comet on 2 power tours ,been many miles ,but in all honestly,my wife has complained dang near every mile,cause there's no radio,,,but I always tune her the deaf ear and my good ear is tuned to the motor :lol: I just don't care about the music of today,,,,and as far as listening to a talk program,it's just thier opinion and I have my own ,,,even in my everyday cars and trucks the radio is the less used thing most of all......but like I said,,it's just the way POP is......jmo pop
pop/glenda