1966 Caliente Parking Brake

The Big Comets
Blei

1966 Caliente Parking Brake

Post by Blei »

Howdy everyone.

In an attempt to make my Caliente street legal here in Texas, it needs to have a parking brake. Thankfully, because of it's age, the rest of the restrictions to get it "legal" are fairly minimal. However, when I bought the car last year it didn't have a parking brake in it.

From my research, it seems that it was a foot operated one with a release under the dash on the the drivers side. That's all fine and good, but I've had very little success parting out that exact year and model assembly. At this point I have nothing for the brake assembly, no cables, no detents, etc.

I'm happy with an aftermarket parking brake, but I'm curious what other comet owners have used if they've had to re-install a parking brake control in their rides.

I'm not opposed to having a hand operated brake near the stick shift, although I would prefer to have it as close to where it was when it came off the line. Would a mustang, or a fairlaine/torino assembly drop in to my comet fairly easy?

Thanks in advance.
It's pronounced "Bly"

Lip Ripper

Re: 1966 Caliente Parking Brake

Post by Lip Ripper »

Wow, I've never seen that removed. 66/67 Comet or Fairlane for sure. Is all of the hardware gone?

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Ask Fred (Sassy) what was his parking brake setup removed from. Many different fords used foot operated parking brakes. Shouldn't be hard to adapt one to fit.
Ron

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

I think I have 2 parking brake pedal assemblies from parts cars. If I can find them you'll need the cable from the pedal to what I'll call an equalizer bar. The washer, spring, nut, etc... at the cable end. The left and right cable to the rear brakes. You'll need the "S" shaped bar that mounts under the passenger seat. This holds the passenger side cable. This is by memory. I'll try to find a diagram.
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

From the factory shop manual.
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

Blei

Post by Blei »

Fairlaniac: Thanks for the image from the shop manual. The manual I have only has a mustang assembly diagram. I had been looking for a Comet specific one for a while. I appreciate it. It'll certainly help piece together this brake system.

I would be very interested in one of those pedal assemblies. Please, PM if you can locate them.

Lip Ripper: The whole assembly is gone. The car has had a lot of work done in the past before I got a hold of it. Different engine, different tranny, different drive train, new back end, etc.

Here's a pic of what my drivers side foot well looks like. Image

As you can see, aside from the mess of wiring, there's nothing there. I can see where a pedal assembly would mount though. Fingers crossed that I can find something that'll just drop in.
It's pronounced "Bly"

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

Blei, I have 3 of them from 68-69 Fairlane/Torinos. They are identical to 1966-1967 except the brake release rod is straight on '66-'67 Comet/Fairlane. The '68-'69 Torino/Fairlane/Montego release rod has a bend to clear the different lower dash. If you want one I'll take $20 plus shipping. One has the deluxe trim on the pedal pad. It matches if your pedals have the stainless trim. Let me know if you are interested.
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

Blei

Post by Blei »

fairlaniac wrote:Blei, I have 3 of them from 68-69 Fairlane/Torinos. They are identical to 1966-1967 except the brake release rod is straight on '66-'67 Comet/Fairlane. The '68-'69 Torino/Fairlane/Montego release rod has a bend to clear the different lower dash. If you want one I'll take $20 plus shipping. One has the deluxe trim on the pedal pad. It matches if your pedals have the stainless trim. Let me know if you are interested.
Thanks for your reply. I would very much be interested in one of the ones without the stainless trim.

I've sent you a PM.
It's pronounced "Bly"