auto dealers changed calientes

The Big Comets
fryedaddy

auto dealers changed calientes

Post by fryedaddy »

i talked to a guy who worked for ford-mercury back in the 60s.i had wondered why my caliente has some cyclone options on it.he told me that calientes with a y code 390 were a hard sale.he said as soon as a customer saw a 2 bbl carb on the 390s,they didnt want it.he said the dealers would put the S-4 bbl intake and chrome valve covers on the y code engines just to get them to sell.i asked why my caliente has a cyclone hood too.he said they even put cyclone hoods and tachs on 390 y code calientes just to get them to sell.when i bought my caliente in 83 the previous owner swore it came with a 4 bbl and fiberglass hood new,even though its a y code 390.it also had the power by ford chrome valve covers.now i know why my caliente has these cyclone options.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

popscomet

Re: auto dealers changed calientes

Post by popscomet »

COOL...now the mystery has been solved,,,, 8) :D Back then the dealer would do anything to sell a car........today ,not so much,,,you buy a package and live with it,even in 1991 when I ordered my ranger PU,,I tried to get rubber instead of carpet,,the dealer told me I had to take carpet cause of the package......pop
pop/glenda

albert

Re: auto dealers changed calientes

Post by albert »

Wouldn't be surprised if it was also done at the factory especially near the end of a model year, surprising things happened in factories back in the day especially if you were any employee and you car was going down the line. Also if they wanted to move out imbalanced inventories of parts etc. I know I was there and saw it happen! It was called the "rebuild department"
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust