Decode of 66 Cyclone

The Big Comets
v8shadow

Decode of 66 Cyclone

Post by v8shadow »

Ok, so I met this really cool guy who (no kidding) has a 66 Cyclone sitting in a barn next to his business. Yeah.....an honest to goodness barn not a climate controlled garage or something cute that other "barn finds" are from. Anyway this guy is claiming that this is a pace car edition 427 4 spd car. Now, I have read that there were only 3 of those that were made and the rest were 390's. Also, that all the pace car editions were red ragtops? I have decoded it on a generic decoder site and found it to be a 390 powered Cyclone GT 4spd built in Loraine OH, but I wanted to check with the experts on this. The car is blue with blue interior. The tach is mounted on the steering column with a hose clamp but I didn't check for holes on the dash for evidence of a past dash mounted tach. It has the dual snorkel hood and a blue stripe along both the rocker panels. It is a two door hardtop (no b pillar post) but not a convertible. So tell me......what does this nice man actually have?

VIN 6H26S5xxxxx
BODY 63H
COLOR K
TRIM 82
DATE 18L
DSO 32
AXLE D
TRANS 5

Lip Ripper

Re: Decode of 66 Cyclone

Post by Lip Ripper »

100 Pace cars. All red ragtop's. 3 parade cars that were allegedly HM prepped (the 427 theory). It's not a pace car and probably not a 427. S code is a 390GT. Look on the side of the block above the oil pan and see if there are main cross bolt's. Great car at any rate.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Lou's Comet

Re: Decode of 66 Cyclone

Post by Lou's Comet »

Seen this on upcoming Mecum at Indy

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0517-28252 ... nvertible/

A replica with a C6 instead of 4 speed, upgrade brakes , etc.

But will be interesting to see what it brings

Lou