66 Cyclone Dash wiring question

The Big Comets
Sabatona

66 Cyclone Dash wiring question

Post by Sabatona »

Hi Guys.

Have a few questions I hope you can help me with:

I took the dash apart to install a reproduction Cyclone dash mounted tach. Once I had the gauge cluster and dash pad off, I quickly realized that I was not the first person to venture into this area (:>).

The car came with a factory AM radio, and while the antenna was connected, the power leads were not, and there was no dash speaker (only 1 speaker since its a convertible...).

Question/Problem #1:
I have been able to identify the various 3 wire connectors under the dash (at least I think I have) as follows:

So, one wire of the radio goes to the yellow connector (+ when accessory on) and one goes to the red connector...I think.....

Red has blue wires with red stripe, which I believe are for the dash lights.....the problem is, with the headlight switch in the parking or full on position, I am NOT getting any power to this connector, or other terminals with the blue/red stripe wires...

Any ideas? I checked and cleaned all the fuses in the fuse box, so this seems to be ok, I have NOT removed the headlight switch (headlight switch works for all the exterior lights properly).

Any suggestions as to what I can look for????

Question #2:
Does anyone know what this item is:

It does not seem to have power of any kind going to it, nor does it seem to be a ground....

Question #3:
Does anyone know what this connector is, or is used for:

It looks to have a blue wire with red stripe, but like with problem #1, it does not seem to have power in any switch or accessory position, nor does it appear to be a ground.....

To wrap it up, I do not seem to be getting power to any of the dash lights (cluster is out, not sure if this is the cause or not......), so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Len
Sabatona
66 Cyclone Convertible
390 4V 4 Speed
Factory In Dash A/C
DSO 84 Home Office Reserve

Blei

Re: 66 Cyclone Dash wiring question

Post by Blei »

Hey there Len, I have a 66 Comet, and I don't know if the wiring is the same as the Cyclone, but here's a schematic that I have from the shop manual that might help for your first question.

It's pronounced "Bly"

thrnelson

Re: 66 Cyclone Dash wiring question

Post by thrnelson »

In picture number 2 it looks like the constant voltage regulator. I believe it drops the voltage to 5V. I had mine (65 Comet Caliente) hooked up incorrectly after rewiring and my oil pressure and fuel gauge went all the way to the right, once I hooked the regulator back up they operate properly.

Hope that helps.
Trent